Turn on thread page Beta

Would you rather the UK be a small nation or a major global player? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    Personally i support this view especially if Brits want to sustain their current living standards. We're merely just opening ourselves to more costs and clearly not making any friends.
    The problem is that your government and a large part of the population (mostly lower class) think differently and still believe the UK actually has influence and relevance in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moggis)
    Because I seriously doubt that the world would be a better place if a country like Britain took a back seat.
    Yeah, sure, the world would suck if the US had no partner-in-crime anymore to invade countries for their oil...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    I'm not so sure about the EU thing. I'm definitely voting to leave but I have a feeling that UKIP's involvement in the campaign is fundamentally going to turn off the undecideds who don't really want to associate with UKIP. It's a flaw in the thinking of people that if they don't agree with a one view held by a party or person, they tend to think that they must disagree with every view they hold.
    Any party as disgustingly xenophobic as UKIP deserves to be universally rejected, regardless of its other standpoints. It's not a flaw, it's common sense and the decent thing to do.

(Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil)
    Any party as disgustingly xenophobic as UKIP deserves to be universally rejected, regardless of its other standpoints. It's not a flaw, it's common sense and the decent thing to do.
    I don't think you understood what I was trying to say. What I was trying to say was that people might vote to stay in purely because they don't want to share a view with UKIP, of which they generally hold an unfavourable opinion. It is a flaw in the sense that, in doing so, they allow their hatred of UKIP to cloud their judgement. Sure, hate them for the xenophobia but don't just vote a certain way to avoid being on the same side as UKIP. You can happily reject them at elections where it matters if you don't like them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil)
    The problem is that your government and a large part of the population (mostly lower class) think differently and still believe the UK actually has influence and relevance in the world.
    true very much it is a working class trait. The elite just use it to profit more and move more funds across the world.

ReputationRep:
    In terms of global GDP we account for very little like 2.3%
    That still puts the United Kingdom in the top 3% of global economies.

ReputationRep:
    In what areas have we majorly influenced global affairs in the past 20 years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    That still puts the United Kingdom in the top 3% of global economies.
    LOL that is the saddest thing i've ever heard.

Will see once the next recession arrives, third world country thanks to the lack of BRITISH WORK ETHIC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    No, the developing world economies are seeing growth because their countries are a source of cheap labour allowing them to become a manufacturing hub. The economies in the developing world will continue to grow but at a declining place as they start to lose their status as a manufacturing hub. Britain does need a stronger work ethic but the lack of Britain's work ethic will not see Britain relegated to the sidelines with no influence; Britain will have the largest GDP in Europe behind Russia in 2050.
    you are talking about 2050 like it is fact. Some third world rhetoric right there.

Enjoy your slow decline. *Sips beer*.

ReputationRep:
    Rebuild the Empire!

ReputationRep:
    Would you rather the UK be a small nation or a major global player?

I.e keep it small, niche and moderately well off. Or grow it into some what of a global player i.e higher population, more diversified economy, more influential cities.
    It's not even a question to be a major player you need one or both of the following.

1. A large military

2. A technological advantage over other countries such as large amounts of cheap manpower, technology or political ideology.

We have neither but had both a century ago.

We should literally stuck to our own business, no wars, no aid, no mass migration etc and develop our science and research policies whilst also developing a better education system.

Only then should we look at other things...

Economics is a war if you want to do well and we haven't really even fired a shot

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.