Turn on thread page Beta

Do students who commute tend to do worse? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tishy)
    This response was hilarious.

You do worse because you have no friends :rofl:

You do worse because your bus is late. :rofl:

Back up your statement that commuters tend to do worse with statistics please.
    two commuters on my course one took 4 years to do a 2 year course one stopped turning up is that what you wanted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonathanemptage)
    As I said this is only my experience I had only about 5 people on my course one guy took 4 years to complete what was a 2 year course one guy just plain stopped turning up it's just my experience another couple of local students in Portsmouth i never saw them apart from on the first day i'm not saying it's everyone it's just what I have seen.

the whole friends thing have you seen how many people say "I've made no friends" and it turns out they lived at home I answered about 9 or 10 threads just like that last year.

Exactly I didn't commute but i hope you can see why it think it might.
    Yeah I can see why you think it might, but correlation =/= causation. Those people won't have dropped out because they live at home, they'll have dropped out because they weren't cut out for it. People won't have made no friends because they live at home, they'll have made no friends because they haven't tried hard enough to meet new people, you see what I mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GoingToBurst)
    Yeah I can see why you think it might, but correlation =/= causation. Those people won't have dropped out because they live at home, they'll have dropped out because they weren't cut out for it. People won't have made no friends because they live at home, they'll have made no friends because they haven't tried hard enough to meet new people, you see what I mean?
    completely I reckon this thread is going to based on peoples experiences weather they lived at home or knew people who did I was actually friends with the people who commuted so I was a bit wrong about no friends I guess I just meant less. Again just what I saw.

ReputationRep:
    completely I reckon this thread is going to based on peoples experiences weather they lived at home or knew people who did I was actually friends with the people who commuted so I was a bit wrong about no friends I guess I just meant less. Again just what I saw.
    Yeah exactly. As long as a commuter has the right attitude though, there is no reason that they would have any less of a chance to do well at uni or make friends though .

ReputationRep:
    two commuters on my course one took 4 years to do a 2 year course one stopped turning up is that what you wanted.
    Anecdotal evidence? How on earth does that show that commuters tend to do worse?

I can just as easily contradict that with my own anecdotal evidence.
    The person who is doing the best in our course in my social group actually has the longest commute.
    The person doing the worst, moved away for uni.
    Of the two people I know who dropped out during the first year of uni, both lived at halls.

There, counteracted. You do realise that ancedotes mean nothing right? I said back it up with stats.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it. My mate on my course commuted and consistently got marks in the high 80's. If you work hard you'll be fine. :borat:

ReputationRep:
    Complete rubbish!! Commuted for three years, gained a 1st class honours degree - had the highest exam scores in my cohort for three years consistently!

ReputationRep:
    My commute to uni is 2 hours door to door. I have to take a bus and 2 trains to get there, but it doesn't bother me because I quite like having that time to myself to relax and listen to a few podcasts during the journey. When I arrive at uni I feel much more "awake" and able to concentrate, rather than when I used to live 10 minutes away and I'd roll out of bed and rush in all flustered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roving Fish)

Off topic, but I've never understood how or why people rank out of their colleagues on courses?
    It's just to see how well you're preforming.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.