Turn on thread page Beta

Should Britain adopt a zero immigration policy? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkteddyx64)
    My aunty would have to return to the US despite living here since she was three years old, as she only has American citizenship and a UK visa not dual-citizenship.
    Does she have British ancestry? In which case she would not count as an immigrant to Britain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackHorner222)
    We don't need cheap labour, those days went out with the Victorians.

We don't need skilled labour, we can train our own.

We don't need diversity, non-white countries don't.
    Disagree. There are skills shortages in the UK that are difficult to fill with home-grown talent. Professionals with skills don't just appear from nowhere. There are countries with considerable expertise that it is actually very desirable to import talent from. In an ideal world we'd have all the skilled labour we need, but we don't. You're just being xenophobic.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by demx9)
    Asia for Asians
    Africa for Africans
    Europe for Everyone

amiright
    What's your problem? You're free to move to another continent if you'd like. But it just so happens that our continent is a lovely one to live in (the historian Morris has written some smashing stuff on the subject). Perhaps in a few hundred years Asia will be the place to be for the enterprising and the ambitious. I'm certainly expecting some great things from China and an upswing in fortunes for Japan which seems to be handling its long-term economic stagnation rather well. India is close behind of course and it looks likely that these states will pull the entire region forward in an economic sense. Russia definitly seems keen to build an Eastern power-bloc to counter the EU. Maybe my ancestors or yours will emigrate to Asia (as many westerners already do). Perhaps a few centuries after that it'll be Africa. I do hope by then the hateful and illogical ideology of racism is consigned to history.

Earth for Earthlings. No?

ReputationRep:
    I disagree with a zero immigration policy - just a heavily limited policy compared to our existing one. We do need some immigration to keep business running - just not as much as we have now as our infrastructure is being overwhelmed!

Currently immigration is in the hundreds of thousands per year - if we reduce it to say, 15,000 then we'll be in a much better position. To do this we'd need to completely restrict free immigration from within the EU.
    We should also strongly enforce the integration of such immigrants to follow our society and ideals - freedom of speech and criticism of religion, equality for genders and normality of interreligious or interracial marriages between immigrants and native British people.

Which is all what UKIP want...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Disagree. There are skills shortages in the UK that are difficult to fill with home-grown talent. Professionals with skills don't just appear from nowhere. There are countries with considerable expertise that it is actually very desirable to import talent from. In an ideal world we'd have all the skilled labour we need, but we don't. You're just being xenophobic.
    Dumbing down of education and no proper training courses has ensured a lack of skilled labour in this country. This was done deliberately in order to collapse Western civilization and swamp Europe with migrants. But it could soon be rectified.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by phoenixsilver)
    I disagree with a zero immigration policy - just a heavily limited policy compared to our existing one. We do need some immigration to keep business running - just not as much as we have now as our infrastructure is being overwhelmed!

Currently immigration is in the hundreds of thousands per year - if we reduce it to say, 15,000 then we'll be in a much better position. To do this we'd need to completely restrict free immigration from within the EU.
    We should also strongly enforce the integration of such immigrants to follow our society and ideals - freedom of speech and criticism of religion, equality for genders and normality of interreligious or interracial marriages between immigrants and native British people.

Which is all what UKIP want...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I do not think net migration needs to be as low as UKIP want by I do agree with the second part - its very important that Britain remains tolerant of other peoples cultures and beliefs but not at the expense of our own values.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by demx9)
    Asia for Asians
    Africa for Africans
    Europe for Everyone

amiright
    Have you considered that the reason why people don't move to these places is because they're not as developed or do not offer the economic/social conditions that we come to expect in the Western world? I don't think it's that people in these countries don't want migration from the West, it's more that Westerners simply don't want to live there. Europe and North America are desirable places to live, so it's understandable that people will want to migrate here and for the Western world, it's also desirable for people to migrate here, if they bring economic benefits to our nation.

The biggest problem with uncontrolled migration is the unskilled race to the bottom. Migrants will sadly accept being mistreated by employers; accepting low (sometimes illegal) pay and poor working conditions, because it's vastly preferable to where they came from, and unfortunately, it makes the native workforce undesirable as they will not work for the same conditions. This is unfortunately what causes the whole "they come over here... they take our jobs..." attitude that makes political movements like UKIP popular with the working class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ed's Balls)
    British people should only cook traditional British things because otherwise it's called being culturally diverse
    Bummer. Potatoes and boiled veg for the foreseeable future then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    What's your problem? You're free to move to another continent if you'd like. But it just so happens that our continent is a lovely one to live in (the historian Morris has written some smashing stuff on the subject). Perhaps in a few hundred years Asia will be the place to be for the enterprising and the ambitious. I'm certainly expecting some great things from China and an upswing in fortunes for Japan which seems to be handling its long-term economic stagnation rather well. India is close behind of course and it looks likely that these states will pull the entire region forward in an economic sense. Russia definitly seems keen to build an Eastern power-bloc to counter the EU. Maybe my ancestors or yours will emigrate to Asia (as many westerners already do). Perhaps a few centuries after that it'll be Africa. I do hope by then the hateful and illogical ideology of racism is consigned to history.

Earth for Earthlings. No?
    Sadly East Asia is extremely xenophobic.

ReputationRep:
    I do not think net migration needs to be as low as UKIP want by I do agree with the second part - its very important that Britain remains tolerant of other peoples cultures and beliefs but not at the expense of our own values.
    By all means. One can contest net migration values later on - the primary concern is reducing it drastically from the hundreds of thousands, in addition to the refugees we are accepting now and in the future.
    While I think it is important to be tolerant of beliefs, ultimately it must be realised that the UK is *our* country. And this coming from me, whose father is an immigrant (he was very young).
    I'm sure the majority of Britons enjoy foreign food and culture at some point in their lives - the importance is not to be swamped by it, and cherry-pick only the good aspects while putting an end to religious segregation and lack of integration - an important reason to ban the full face veil.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by The Dictator)
    There is a lot of xenophobia in the region - but in a few centuries time? I doubt it. Globalisation my friend.

When Britain, Europe and 'the West' eradicate racism the world will follow us - just as its followed us for hundreds of years.

How can we expect the future superpowers to be free, peaceful and loving if we embrace this doctrine of hate now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    Britain will drop from 7th in the world to 20th in no time. Our Central banker is a Canadian for pete sake.

Your racism has made you delusional.
    We're actually 5th in dollar terms. Largely because Brazil and France have gone backward the past few years though. Unlikely we'd ever get that low. Even the most bearish projections have us around 10th by 2050.

We don't need cheap labour, those days went out with the Victorians.

We don't need skilled labour, we can train our own.

We don't need diversity, non-white countries don't.
    The simple answer to your thread title is no. I want a larger population, a higher fertility rate, more taxpayers, more tax revenues and higher economic output.

I do agree with you however that some aspects of immigration relating to diversity are absolutely stupid. We'll be getting refugees that get a passport in Germany then move here and we also accept non-EU spouces who may not even ever work. The cultural damage from accepting Muslims as well is very pushing.

(Original post by silverbolt)
    Good luck staffing your NHS is you get rid of/stop immigration into your country
    Actually while we have a chronic shortage of doctors, we have a sufficient supply of nursing graduates. The issue with nursing is that the cost of training one nursing graduate is the same as importing three qualified immigrant nurses, hence we cap training places below the number of nurses we actually need.

ReputationRep:
    There is a lot of xenophobia in the region - but in a few centuries time? I doubt it. Globalisation my friend.

When Britain, Europe and 'the West' eradicate racism the world will follow us - just as its followed us for hundreds of years.

How can we expect the future superpowers to be free, peaceful and loving if we embrace this doctrine of hate now?
    You're right, but we aren't being fair on ourselves. We should put as much pressure on non-Western countries to be tolerant as ourselves, otherwise then we are being truly racist and putting non-whites in other countries to a lower standard than ourselves.

ReputationRep:
    Horribly so. It reaches unbearable levels in Korea where I lived. The way some Koreans treat the Japanese living in their country is horrific.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fango_Jett)
    Horribly so. It reaches unbearable levels in Korea where I lived. The way some Koreans treat the Japanese living in their country is horrific.
    Yep, the even funnier thing is that they're mostly racist to each other.

And they all look alike...

ReputationRep:
    No. Britain should not adopt a no immigration policy. We need different people in the country, with different backgrounds. Saying that we should not let anyone in,or kick people who weren't born here out, is completely counterproductive, inhuman and would create a country with a major problem with racism and fascism.

If Britain adopted this sort of policy, I would leave the country.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    You're right, but we aren't being fair on ourselves. We should put as much pressure on non-Western countries to be tolerant as ourselves, otherwise then we are being truly racist and putting non-whites in other countries to a lower standard than ourselves.
    You do have a point. But I think there's the sense that this sort of thing has to (and will) happen naturally. Every generation fights the same battles (so a great man once said) and liberalism is on a winning streak.

ReputationRep:
    Does she have British ancestry? In which case she would not count as an immigrant to Britain.
    No, Norweigan.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, the even funnier thing is that they're mostly racist to each other.

And they all look alike...
    Oddly enough, Koreans in Japan are treated far better than Japanese in Korea or China.

I suppose its an issue with language and culture being so far apart as well as historical tensions. Compared to Europe where its far easier to communicate and cultures are not as far apart.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by phoenixsilver)
    By all means. One can contest net migration values later on - the primary concern is reducing it drastically from the hundreds of thousands, in addition to the refugees we are accepting now and in the future.
    While I think it is important to be tolerant of beliefs, ultimately it must be realised that the UK is *our* country. And this coming from me, whose father is an immigrant (he was very young).
    I'm sure the majority of Britons enjoy foreign food and culture at some point in their lives - the importance is not to be swamped by it, and cherry-pick only the good aspects while putting an end to religious segregation and lack of integration - an important reason to ban the full face veil.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think it would be good to create an atmosphere a little like America has (and of course the US has its own race-relations issues). The sense that anyone from anywhere can become 'one of us' - but they need to commit themselves to Britain - its culture and language and beliefs. I'd like to see more immigrants applying for citizenship. It should be something people really want and are proud to have.

The appearance of ghettos is a blight. Unfortunately integration whilst a lovely idea is very difficult to promote.

I'm torn on the veil thing. I don't particularly like it.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.