Turn on thread page Beta

I'm half-Jewish: AMA watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    how can you ethnically be a jew when judaism is a religion you moron

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTruthTeller)
    Where does your Jewish side originate from and what are your views on Israel?
    My Jewish side originates from my father. I think Israel (in its current form) is morally atrocious. I think Zionism is absolutely revolting: it's a counterproductive political ideology. It can be, and is, used to legitimate antisemitism. Moreover, Benjamin Netanyahu is swine and Israel's treatment of Palestinians, non-Zionist Jews, Muslims and Christians is almost as bad as the Nazis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hilrho)
    Oh your dads the Jewish one eh? It's my mother who's Jewish and her mother is actually a Holocaust survivor who got to England in time so I do take pride in my Jewish roots - just not in a religious sense

So are you one of the many Jews who support a free Palestine?
    Interesting. Most of my father's family was wiped out by Adolf too.

In terms of Palestine/Israel: YES YES YES!!!!! See my reply to TheTruthTeller. #FreePalestine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jambojim97)
    My Jewish side originates from my father. I think Israel (in its current form) is morally atrocious. I think Zionism is absolutely revolting: it's a counterproductive political ideology. It can be, and is, used to legitimate antisemitism. Moreover, Benjamin Netanyahu is swine and Israel's treatment of Palestinians, non-Zionist Jews, Muslims and Christians is almost as bad as the Nazis.

I meant in terms of like being mizrahi, Ashkenazi etc. also what do you think about the Iran deal and how do you Jewish side view Israel?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stonehrd4eva)
    Firstly, if 'Jewish' was just a religion, surely those murdered in the Holocaust would have just said "hands off Adolf! I've converted to Christianity".

Secondly, the Jews are an ethnic group associated with a religious faith.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jews

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTruthTeller)
    I meant in terms of like being mizrahi, Ashkenazi etc. also what do you think about the Iran deal and how do you Jewish side view Israel?
    I'm not particularly clued up on the Iran nuclear deal I'm afraid. My Jewish side is Ashkenazi.

Interesting. Most of my father's family was wiped out by Adolf too.In terms of

Palestine/Israel: YES YES YES!!!!! See my reply to TheTruthTeller. #FreePalestine
    My grandmother was the only one to survive from her immediate family actually - but her uncle, aunt and cousins survived.

As for the Palestine Israel issue: :ditto: #FreePalestine

OH my we're so alike! :eek4: I couldn't agree more. How old are you and what are you doing currently?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hilrho)
    My grandmother was the only one to survive from her immediate family actually - but her uncle, aunt and cousins survived.

As for the Palestine Israel issue: :ditto: #FreePalestine

OH my we're so alike! :eek4: I couldn't agree more. How old are you and what are you doing currently?
    Well, I'm 19 and I'm just about to go and study Economics (cue antisemites shouting 'money chaser!'). You?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecatwithnohat)
    do you half love money?
    Are you ****ing serious? What is wrong with you?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stonehrd4eva)
    It's an ethno-religion.
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    (Original post by simbasdragon)
    Are you ****ing serious? What is wrong with you?!
    The '' was clearly a way of light-heatedly reinforcing the typical stereotype attached Jewish people. OP didn't take it the wrong way so please take your ad-hoministic comments elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecatwithnohat)
    The '' was clearly a way of light-heatedly reinforcing the typical stereotype attached Jewish people. OP didn't take it the wrong way so please take your ad-hoministic comments elsewhere.
    Didn't realise this was light-hearted so apologies. I knew the Jewish boy who got beaten up in Manchester so any apparent anti-semitism touches a nerve.

ReputationRep:
    Jewish women often have close together eyes and big noses yet are still sexually attractive (Sarah Silverman/Non-skeleton Amy Whinehouse/Janice from friends), is this because of some Jew magic?
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    (Original post by simbasdragon)
    Didn't realise this was light-hearted so apologies. I knew the Jewish boy who got beaten up in Manchester so any apparent anti-semitism touches a nerve.
    I understand. I apologize for typing it in a way that may have offended others. The hatred that some people have against Jewish people needs to be tackled effectively, and soon.

ReputationRep:
    Why must people always go to the Nazi's when talking about Israel?

But Zionism isn't a Jewish thing, it is a political ideology. So how can it be used to legitimate antisemitism?

Netanyahu is but one man, if it wasn't him it would be someone else do basically the same thing.

How you can plus the Nazi's anywhere near the Israel state I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    As the title says.
    Why did you think it the correct place to put an AMA in the Advice on Everyday Issues forum?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Why did you think it the correct place to put an AMA in the Advice on Everyday Issues forum?
    Fell free to move.

ReputationRep:
    Fell free to move.
    I did fell free to move

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    I did fell free to move
    I hope you didn't hurt yourself when you fell.

ReputationRep:
    Does that mean you still have half your foreskin?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 13, 2015
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.