Turn on thread page Beta

Can you explain how discriminating ANYONE on ANY grounds, is ANY different to racism? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    No. Here is Collins' definition:

1.(intransitive; usually followed by in favour of or against) to single out a particular person, group, etc, for special favour or, esp, disfavour, often [i.e. by no means always, and not necessarily] because of a characteristic such as race, colour, sex, intelligence, etc

2.when intr, foll by between or among to recognize or understand the difference (between); distinguish

3.(intransitive) to constitute or mark a difference

4.(intransitive) to be discerning in matters of taste

To make the discrimination the result of prejudice you'll need to add the word prejudicial.
    I dont want collins explanation, I want yours. I want your understanding.

I think discrimination is a good thing, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshDawg)
    You can't tell the difference between racism and descrimination (the pre-judicial one), so I provided a dictionary definition to help you.
    Racism is a form of discrimination, who even uses that word in the "non prejudicial" way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NHM713)
    Racism is a form of discrimination, who even uses that word in the "non prejudicial" way?
    discriminatedɪˈskrɪmɪneɪt/verb
    1. 1.recognize a distinction; differentiate.

Descrimination is natural, and is how we discern things from one another. However there is this form where we do it based upon what a person looks like rather than their actual merit, so generally the word is used with negative connotations based upon the constant use of it in that way.

ReputationRep:
    discriminatedɪˈskrɪmɪneɪt/verb
    1. 1.recognize a distinction; differentiate.

Descrimination is natural, and is how we discern things from one another. However there is this form where we do it based upon what a person looks like rather than their actual merit, so generally the word is used with negative connotations based upon the constant use of it in that way.
    To an extent. But you know very well that it's isn't the one I'm talking about.

So to the original question, how discriminating ANYONE on ANY grounds, is ANY different to racism?

ReputationRep:
    To an extent. But you know very well that it's isn't the one I'm talking about.

So to the original question, how discriminating ANYONE on ANY grounds, is ANY different to racism?

Yes, which is why I said the pre-judicial descrimination, which brings me back to my first point. Racism is about RACE. Descrimination can happen to anyone.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, which is why I said the pre-judicial descrimination, which brings me back to my first point. Racism is about RACE. Descrimination can happen to anyone.
    Why are you acting like this? Racism is a form of discrimination.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you acting like this? Racism is a form of discrimination.
    Did my point go over your head lol.

Racism is about race. Just about race.

Descrimination can be about anything.

ReputationRep:
    Did my point go over your head lol.

Racism is about race. Just about race.

Descrimination can be about anything.
    maybe you cant understand anything outside of your narrow view of the world, thats the problem.

ReputationRep:
    maybe you cant understand anything outside of your narrow view of the world, thats the problem.
    Okay now I know you're a troll. I probably shouldn't waste any more time here.

ReputationRep:
    really? I was starting to think you were.

ReputationRep:
    Cut your losses she is a nutter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This thread is a train wreck. For the record, I think it's useful to make a distinction between discrimination based on legitimate grounds and discrimination based on illegitimate grounds. To say as much is obvious.

I also think - this is more controversial - that to distinguish between racism that occurs at an institutional level and racism that does not is useful, as long as one doesn't go too far and ignore racial prejudice against privileged groups, too.

ReputationRep:
    Well making fun of a fatty will be helpful for the fatty in the long run because they'l go for a long run if they know what's good for them.

Making fun of someone because of their race is just mean because they can't change that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    Well making fun of a fatty will be helpful for the fatty in the long run because they'l go for a long run if they know what's good for them.

Making fun of someone because of their race is just mean because they can't change that.
    There are much better ways to make a fat person want to improve themselves than making fun of them. People who think they're helping fat people by making fun of them are, to be honest, ridiculous...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Stefan*)
    There are much better ways to make a fat person want to improve themselves than making fun of them. People who think they're helping fat people by making fun of them are, to be honest, ridiculous...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    lol if I was walking around and some kid went "eeew daddy he's so fat" then I'd think to myself "lol damn is it that bad? Better do something about it."

ReputationRep:
    I would like to know what others think.

.....I don't write much to keep it as open as possible.

Edit: Racism - in it's most basic terms, is hating someone for something they haven't consciously done.
    You can discriminate on things where the thing you are discriminating against means something definite eg.you can't discriminate generally race as being of a certain race doesn't mean anything other than being of that race.However, this is not the case for everyone being rich means you have access to money so you can discriminate against them by asking them to pay more in tax.

I do agree with your general line of thinking I think the normal isms like racism and sexism people get carried away with a lot of other like isms/discrimination is just as bad discriminating against someone based on what country they were born in is just as bad and can be argued against using the same sort of arguments against racism and yet most people seem to support some notion nationalism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    You can discriminate on things where the thing you are discriminating against means something definite eg.you can't discriminate generally race as being of a certain race doesn't mean anything other than being of that race.However, this is not the case for everyone being rich means you have access to money so you can discriminate against them by asking them to pay more in tax.

I do agree with your general line of thinking I think the normal isms like racism and sexism people get carried away with a lot of other like isms/discrimination is just as bad discriminating against someone based on what country they were born in is just as bad and can be argued against using the same sort of arguments against racism and yet most people seem to support some notion nationalism.
    I don't, it is just a bad as religion.

I will now wait for the barrage of comments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Allegro)
    This thread is a train wreck. For the record, I think it's useful to make a distinction between discrimination based on legitimate grounds and discrimination based on illegitimate grounds. To say as much is obvious.

I also think - this is more controversial - that to distinguish between racism that occurs at an institutional level and racism that does not is useful, as long as one doesn't go too far and ignore racial prejudice against privileged groups, too.
    I think the word "racism" give you the hang of it (which discrimination I'm talking about).

So you think racism on a personal level is acceptable?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)

How do you know that the person you are taking the piss out of for being fat, can lose weight? ....maybe that is just how they are.

ReputationRep:
    How do you know that the person you are taking the piss out of for being fat, can lose weight? ....maybe that is just how they are.
    If 'how they are' is eating too much and not exercising enough then ye that is how they are and they need to change their bad habits.

Can guarantee if anyone just stopped eating forever. They'd shrivel up and die. And they won't be fat by the time they die.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.