Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidsafc)
    Apparently you "must have experience of observing Physiotherapists at work, and some form of caring or voluntary work experience" which of course I don't have. Would the NHS careers contact line be able to give me information on how to overcome this sort of thing?
    I'm sure you could find a way to tick all of those boxes. There is a high demand for carers in a lot of places at the moment - it's not something I know too much about but as far as I know there are not too many entry requirements - maybe this is something you could look into doing part time? Have a look on https://do-it.org/ to search for relevant volunteering opportunities in your area. Also https://www.vision2learn.net/courses have a selection of completely free online courses - there is one on working in the health centre on there at the moment which you may find interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if I'm posting this in the right section...

I graduated uni with a 2:1 degree in 2013 and have since been working in a call centre. I hate it, and have been depressed for a long time because of it, and have recently started having panic attacks (been to the doctor who is referring me to a therapist). He agreed with me that I'm not clinically depressed due to a chemical imbalance, but more unhappy with my current state of affairs.

I've applied for a few jobs since getting this one and had a couple of interviews but ultimately failed to get the jobs. There are very few jobs which come about and the problem is my degree is in behavioural studies (psychology without the statistics) which is not very marketable.

I'm not sure what to do and am really at my wits end now. Even going back to uni for post grad or a second degree is a nightmare because of how expensive it is.

I'm not really sure what to do, I don't know how I will cope if this is all I can do for the rest of my life.
    Can I just give you a massive virtual hug, because I graduated with a 2.1 this year, I don't know what to do, I've been rejected for a lot of good jobs and have just accepted a mediocre one. I've gone on antidepressants because living at home with no purpose and constant rejection has got me really depressed. If you're not clinically depressed then perhaps medication isn't the route for you, but I'm taking a low dose of Sertraline and it has really helped me.

In terms of practical advice, I'd suggest if you don't want to go back to uni you could still do some further training, an adult learning course for example, which would be cheaper and could fit around the work you do at the moment. The problem for a lot of graduates is lack of skills and experience so this could really help you. Also, I wouldn't worry too much about what it's in, and whether you want to spend your life doing it - it would be a step up the ladder and would open new doors leading to new experiences.

Anyway, beyond that, just try not to worry - this is not the rest of your life, it's just a temporary situation. People go through lulls in their lives, and this is yours! You will find something!

ReputationRep:
    Apparently you "must have experience of observing Physiotherapists at work, and some form of caring or voluntary work experience" which of course I don't have. Would the NHS careers contact line be able to give me information on how to overcome this sort of thing?
    Google. Make some calls. Offer the right person £40.

ReputationRep:

I graduated uni with a 2:1 degree in 2013 and have since been working in a call centre. I hate it, and have been depressed for a long time because of it, and have recently started having panic attacks (been to the doctor who is referring me to a therapist). He agreed with me that I'm not clinically depressed due to a chemical imbalance, but more unhappy with my current state of affairs.

I've applied for a few jobs since getting this one and had a couple of interviews but ultimately failed to get the jobs. There are very few jobs which come about and the problem is my degree is in behavioural studies (psychology without the statistics) which is not very marketable.

I'm not sure what to do and am really at my wits end now. Even going back to uni for post grad or a second degree is a nightmare because of how expensive it is.

I'm not really sure what to do, I don't know how I will cope if this is all I can do for the rest of my life.
    Don't worry!! There's is so much more you can try

my wee sister is in the same position as you and asked me to write a blog about it, because I was able to get myself a job straight out of uni

My top tips are to become an opportunist and start networking/emailing people - at first you email just for advice and help with CV etc but then they start passing your CV on to friends who are recruiting etc - this really helped me anyway - don't give up, you're not alone in this!

amarjanovic.wordpress.com/2015/09/24/how-to-get-a-job-straight-out-of-uni/

ReputationRep:

Also I did my degree in psychology too and I just made sure to let all interviewers know about my transferrable skills:

- critical thinker
    - interested in people and understand how different people work which is useful for understanding your cutomer/audience
    - experience in report writing and research
    - list goes on !

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.