Turn on thread page Beta

My reference writer doesn't know me... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Urgh tell me about it I'm having a mare with referees! One who was my boss only a year ago has said it has been too long for him to give an up to date one (despite him agreeing to a couple of months ago - I think he's just being lazy). I've given two others but the company aren't satisfied, they want a personal one - the only other one I can think of is my uni tutors, NONE of whom know me at all. Plus you're only meant to ask your personal tutor, who probably knows me least in the department. It's so frustrating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justag)
    Barely reading is skim reading; that's the amount of importance placed on references for many universities.

I've already said that references have a use to highlight terrible students, but those are in a minority. As I've already stated. The reference is essentially just a check to verify an applicant is not crazy or awful. If you're fine/normal, then that's the check done.

Universities sensibly value a PS over a reference because that is in the control of the applicant, unlike the reference. Universities are aware that many schools have different ways of dealing with references; some are more personal - others less so. It depends on the size of the school and the staff to student ratio.

It would be unfair for a university to give favour to a student with a glowing reference but an average PS simply because he or she happened to go to a school that had the time to craft such a reference. Most schools don't put vast amounts of effort into every reference as there is just so little time to fit that in between marking and lesson planning, which takes priority. Teachers have plenty of other things to think about besides one student's individual reference.
    Many personal statements are not read in that much detail either- I feel like your inferring things, or basing them on how you think they should be, not as they are. Universities can value what they like and each department may differ in the emphasis they place on the reference vs the PS, although both are usually less important than grades.

It's not great to make sweeping generalisations about admissions procedures in this way which might mislead people into thinking the reference is definitely not important, because in many cases it is.

If you think I'm totally wrong, then please provide some kind of source to back up your assertions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
    Many personal statements are not read in that much detail either- I feel like your inferring things, or basing them on how you think they should be, not as they are. Universities can value what they like and each department may differ in the emphasis they place on the reference vs the PS, although both are usually less important than grades.

It's not great to make sweeping generalisations about admissions procedures in this way which might mislead people into thinking the reference is definitely not important, because in many cases it is.

If you think I'm totally wrong, then please provide some kind of source to back up your assertions.
    This is how important aspects of the application are in order:

Grades
    PS (and interview if applicable)
    Reference

Personal statements are very much read in great detail; you're the one inferring things or basing them on how you think they should be.

You've obviously not fully comprehended my point. The fact that universities value the only aspect of the application that the applicant cannot control less is fair. You need to understand that almost everybody will have a good reference. That makes references far less meaningful as a way of distinguishing between applicants. The quality of a personal statement and grades are far more variable and give the admissions tutor more to work with when deciding. That's why the reference is less important.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.