Turn on thread page Beta

B855 - House of Lords (Reform) Bill 2015 (Third Reading) watch

ReputationRep:
    Nope.

ReputationRep:
    The house of lords should be abandoned. We have a system of governance made up of MPs. There should be a vote on whether or not to dismantle the lords.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    I wanted to keep it as the House of Lords for old time's sake, some other people wanted to change it to Senate, then Senate of the Nations and Regions was proposed, then we settled provisionally on House of Nations and Regions, then the Nations was dropped because it sounded too clunky, so we've really tried everything lol.
    Fair enough

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not a brilliant idea

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    so young people aren't engaged with politics because then think its a game for old people and now you will need to be almost 40 to be elected to the upper house?

I would prefer a senate, if we are election it should be 1 Scot, 1 Welsh, 1 NI and at most 3 English, needing a 75% majority to pass things.

also appointments confuses me. are party appointed members added straight into the house or added to the afore mentioned list? I happen to dislike the way you have worded it so that sinn fein can't appoint as I belive that is an afront to democracy and fail to see why a party who has one seat could appoint but not an indapendant.

so all in all nay.

ReputationRep:
    Aye.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think 20 years is far too high, I'd rather see an upper limit on the amount of time spent within politics. Still an aye, but a tentative one.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Meh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    so young people aren't engaged with politics because then think its a game for old people and now you will need to be almost 40 to be elected to the upper house?

I would prefer a senate, if we are election it should be 1 Scot, 1 Welsh, 1 NI and at most 3 English, needing a 75% majority to pass things.

also appointments confuses me. are party appointed members added straight into the house or added to the afore mentioned list? I happen to dislike the way you have worded it so that sinn fein can't appoint as I belive that is an afront to democracy and fail to see why a party who has one seat could appoint but not an indapendant.

so all in all nay.
    The upper house should be a place full of people with experience and expertise. That isn't going to happen if you've got 25-year-olds sitting there.

Your Senate idea is quite frankly ridiculous.

It appears you've misunderstood appointed members totally. Parties appoint two members each to the appointments committee is then responsible for coming up with a list of 60 people who will then sit as appointed members in the House of Regions.

While I'd still prefer that the House of Lords was appointed rather than elected, enough alterations have been made for me to abstain on this rather than vote against.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    I think 20 years is far too high, I'd rather see an upper limit on the amount of time spent within politics. Still an aye, but a tentative one.
    Hear hear!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Hear hear!
    That is a fair point.

What sort of time would you recommend?
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    That is a fair point.

What sort of time would you recommend?
    I'd look at 10 years for both personally, but I'm likely to support any reduction from the 20 years and any upper limit as long as it's not ridiculous. Would also need to clarify what count as working in Politics. Just as an MP?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I'd look at 10 years for both personally, but I'm likely to support any reduction from the 20 years and any upper limit as long as it's not ridiculous. Would also need to clarify what count as working in Politics. Just as an MP?
    10 years sounds about right to me. I'll see if we can get that changed and make the 'working in politics' bit more specific before the vote.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    10 years sounds about right to me. I'll see if we can get that changed and make the 'working in politics' bit more specific before the vote.
    Yeah, I agree, 10 years is a very good shout.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Thanks. Again, I find myself saying "kudos to the author" of another solid Labour bill. cranbrook_aspie?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Thanks. Again, I find myself saying "kudos to the author" of another solid Labour bill. cranbrook_aspie?
    I'll let the main author reveal themselves if they wish.

But thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Sadly not. It's a nice try at devolution but done in such a way it becomes over-complicated.

ReputationRep:
    That's my name
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    That's my name
    Would you be the main author of this bill?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 26, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.