Turn on thread page Beta

The "empowered whore archetype" is destroying society. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Wow. You really do have a superiority complex don't you?

Who cares whether they wear clothes or not.

And if you actually cared to be educated you wouldn't take such a sarcastic and superior tone. I'm going to sleep now anyway, but if you care to be less ignorant google is most definitely your friend.

Though I highly doubt you'll look, because you're oh so superior aren't you? Much better than those savages.

Typical response from you.
    I'm not so much ridiculing their way of life as I am ridiculing your intellect for taking such a poor position to begin with. Have you noticed you're being roasted like a pig from both ends on this thread?

ReputationRep:
    What a nonsensical reply.
    Said by SophieSmall, the spoiled little English girl that countless men in history died and worked awful disgusting jobs to give her a comfortable life as she posts on her manmade computer that gender roles don't matter because now she wants a cushy office job

ReputationRep:
    No, maybe read something outside of the daily mail for once.
    Matriarchal societies are rarer yes, but they have been found across the globe.

No idea why people have such negative reaction to something outside of their norm. Feel free to argue with anthropologists, I'm really not that arsed.
    Yes, and they're tribes living in rainforests.

"If civilization had been left in female hands we would still be living in grass huts".

- Camille Paglia

ReputationRep:
    I believe a woman who has dated a man who has a particular economic status and lifestyle that comes with that, car, own place, spending money etc, I believe a woman may find it difficult to "go back" as it were to lesser economic status. This is because our society still emphasises this gender role of the male; as the provider, failing of which you are seen as unattractive. If we're abolishing gender roles why are we seeming to be stopping at the male gender role of economic provider? This is an intense pressure a lot of us would life taken off our backs maybe, but it seems this still strongly remains and I don't think it's very fair.

Women's gender roles of being housewives and mothers are being abolished, yet the male's role as economic provider seems to be in full health. Why is it we abolish women's gender roles, which have consequences on the family, yet we retain men's role as provider, with men unable to provide being seen as unattractive, so too should it not be women's failure to fulfil their traditional role of housewife is so too unattractive? logic would say so, however this isn't the case at all.

I definitely think modern feminism has become quite badly perverted in recent years. I think the premise of equality is of course completely axiomatic and important but I think the tendency to demonise feminine gender roles; which is almost intrinsic of modern feminism has lead many women to adopt toxic attitudes towards both men and themselves, ultimately the family and hence society as a whole suffer as a result, with skyrocketing divorce rates and successful marriages at a minority (1/3).

ReputationRep:
    I have to say as the creator of this thread (and hence the master of it ) I feel I should remind everyone we have gone off topic, can we stick to the topic at hand?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMaster102)
    I have to say as the creator of this thread (and hence the master of it ) I feel I should remind everyone we have gone off topic, can we stick to the topic at hand?
    I think the important part of feminism is choice. Women should have the choice to work if they wish without receiving lower pay for the same work, just as they should have the choice to become stay at home mothers, or combine the two if they wish. The problem comes when people posit one choice as inherently superior to the other, as has been happening in liberal feminism since the late 1990s. So long as men can make the same choices without stigma, I genuinely don't see the problem.

Only they can't just yet; stay at home dads are seen as unnatural and emasculated, divorce courts favour the mother, and paternity leave is nowhere near equal to maternity leave. This often means that the modern woman now does more labour than her male counterpart, as she has gained access to the industrial arena whilst men still socially and legally aren't encouraged to take part in the home. Once these inequalities have been addressed, I feel like many of the societal issues will resolve themselves as we adapt to far more flexible gender roles. The Scandinavian countries are (for the most part) getting it right.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny the Geezer)
    The line between percieved female/male gender roles has blurred so much over time they basically are one, our gender is literally dictated by what sexual organs we have now (for want of a better example) in what is (I'd like to think) an egalitarian society
    So how about the most Egalitarian nation on Earth, Norway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny the Geezer)
    The line between percieved female/male gender roles has blurred so much over time they basically are one, our gender is literally dictated by what sexual organs we have now (for want of a better example) in what is (I'd like to think) an egalitarian society
    At the moment gender seems to be dictated by whatever absurd title people choose to put on their own gender

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Underscore__)
    At the moment gender seems to be dictated by whatever absurd title people choose to put on their own gender

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Let's just all become androgynous and have done.

ReputationRep:
    I support feminism, I do not believe that sexual liberation damages society and I recognise the right of women to make that choice

There is one but, women who put on the empowered, independent woman who doesn't need anyone, persona, are never truly these controlled go-getters they are always a different kind of crazy, like unstable and insane. Often they put on this businesswoman persona when you first meet them, but you always find personality disorders underneath it. Not even a mental illness which can be cured or managed, but that there is something genuinely wrong with them as people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    So how about the most Egalitarian nation on Earth, Norway.

My god I love that video. Naturally, because it completely verified my thoughts on the subject.

For those who are all TL;DW, Norwegian scientists believe gender differences are entirely cultural - then the dude goes off to the US and the UK, finds a bunch of other scientists that say "not so much dependent on culture, mostly controlled through genetics by way of hormone levels. The match-up of perceived gender roles (e.g., women being caregivers) to biological sex is explained entirely by evolutionary psychology". He then takes this back to the Norwegians, and they very, very badly defend their position. The first essentially says "My scientific basis to refute this is that I can't see biological factors playing a role" (W.T.F.. terrible). The second says "It's my hypothesis that biological factors do not have a role, and this will only change when there is proof" (Which is plain bad, biased science).

Lastly, he notices that gender-differences are more pronounced in more developed societies. The explanation for this given by the UK is that since we have a comfortable society in which we are very free, we can act on our true interests - those which are biological. In poorer countries, people go for where the jobs are. If IT is where the job market is best, then you'll see plenty of women there because they want a job, rather than wanting to work in IT.

ReputationRep:
    Again, i direct you to watch the Ascent of Women on the BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...1-civilisation

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 15, 2015
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.