Turn on thread page Beta

How the hell are they aloud to do this... watch

ReputationRep:
    They are allowed to do it because it is a free country.

Whether negative advertising sticks depends on whether it chimes with the public mood about a candidate. In other words it reinforces an impression already held. Here I think it will stick about Corbyn, contrary to, say, the Demon Eyes campaign which did not stick about Blair because most people did not regard Blair as sinister, they regarded him as insincere.

(Original post by Errm336)
    What people don't realise is that this selective quoting by the Tories is playing right into Corbyn's hands.

When people watch the video, they'll be outraged at the views expressed and they they'll be thinking, "Surely a Labour leader isn't really like this" so they'll go and search him and his policies up and be presented with a fuller picture of what he has said which would make him seem like a reasonable guy, as opposed to the monster that he has been originally been portrayed as.

The Tories are shooting themselves in the foot with this one.
    That is wishful thinking. Only Corbyn's committed supporters will think this.

(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    They are afraid, and scared people act in illogical ways.
    They are not scared. They see an opportunity and wish to fill their boots whilst the opportunity presents itself. At some point Corbyn will be forced out and someone electable will replace him but the Tories want to have seized a lot of voters by then. Notice all the references in the advert are to Labour not Corbyn. The Conservatives will concentrate on contaminating the entire party with Corbyn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    That is wishful thinking. Only Corbyn's committed supporters will think this.
    Because it's been proven, in the leadership campaign.

All manners of "skeletons" were brought out of the closet and none of them attacked or managed to get Jeremy to change his view/s. In fact, he stuck by them.

After a time, you run out of skeletons. It's better for Corbyn that all this happens now rather than in the run up to the election.

One thing Corbyn has that any Tory Leader (after Cameron) wouldn't have, is time.

Time to change, time to listen to the electorate, time to set out popular policies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jiminy Cricket)
    I'm a Conservative voter and as a youngish person does I visited YouTube today only to be confronted with a conservative video which TBH was just four points ****ging Corbyn off. Now I don't particularly like him as a labour leader but why the heck have they been posting such rude stuff about other candidates. Like, looking at a few points, there is no general election for four years now. Half of labour hates Corbyn anyway. He's probably too left wing for the majority of people opting for more centralised politics.... The list goes on....

So the thing I can't get my head round, hopefully someone can explain, is why the heck do the conservatives feel the need to tell the world about how Corbyn is an arse. And TBF as I've said, I'm a Conservative voter but some of the points raised in the video are WAY out of context... It's just abit imature IMO, considering these people are supposed to be running the country.

Link below
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_hgJokgNJHo
    Because you can't spell "allowed".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Errm336)
    Because it's been proven, in the leadership campaign.

All manners of "skeletons" were brought out of the closet and none of them attacked or managed to get Jeremy to change his view/s. In fact, he stuck by them.

After a time, you run out of skeletons. It's better for Corbyn that all this happens now rather than in the run up to the election.

One thing Corbyn has that any Tory Leader (after Cameron) wouldn't have, is time.

Time to change, time to listen to the electorate, time to set out popular policies.
    The problem with that analysis is that all the things thrown at Corbyn didn't matter to Corbyn supporters. There has been a huge change in Labour membership since 2010. All the evidence is that they do matter to the electorate.

The Corbynistas will claim that Corbyn will engage with a new electorate which has not been voting. They will break the mould of politics. That cannot be refuted until election day but it is an argument that has consistently been refuted by every other "mould breaker". You have to persuade voters to switch. Non-voters do not vote. The disappointment of people caught up in the bubble of self-deluding campaigns is palpable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by banterboy)
    No, the Tories are doing exactly the right thing. For the next few months, they cannot let Corbyn define himself, they must define the rules of the narrative.
    This.

For the simple reason that if they achieve it, they will never have to have a serious argument with him about anything, which will be very convenient when the next GE comes around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by citydeer)
    because thats how the tories work, they use scaremongering tactics to scare the public off other parties (it worked with miliband so why not do it to corbyn too)
    And it worked getting them into power. They used the media to paint out immigrants, th poor/disabled to be a scourge on society. And a lot of people (including on here) lapped it up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    They don't need scaremongering tactics.

Corbyn and his policies have made labour unelectable.
    Then why do they bother using them?

The only way the Tories can win is through scaremongering. They did it in 2010 banging on about Greece and they did it in 2015 banging on about Scotland.

And it was hardly much of a victory was it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    The problem with that analysis is that all the things thrown at Corbyn didn't matter to Corbyn supporters. There has been a huge change in Labour membership since 2010. All the evidence is that they do matter to the electorate.
    They weren't Corbyn supporters before they joined?

The Corbynistas will claim that Corbyn will engage with a new electorate which has not been voting. They will break the mould of politics. That cannot be refuted until election day but it is an argument that has consistently been refuted by every other "mould breaker". You have to persuade voters to switch. Non-voters do not vote. The disappointment of people caught up in the bubble of self-deluding campaigns is palpable.
    I suppose the guys that energised the leadership debate were all "non-voters"?

ReputationRep:
    Politics is filled with more bull**** now that it ever has been. It's grown-ass adults playing a kids game of smearing the names of your competitors in the playground so you get to kiss Susie first, and it's utterly ridiculous. They should be ****ing ashamed of themselves. The Tories certainly aren't the only ones who do this, but they've proven to be the worst offenders in recent years.

Politics should be a group of people coming together and figuring out logical steps to implement policies that improve the economy and standing of the country while not being detrimental to the population, not saying "ew don't vote for him, he smells".

I can't wait for the day we have a government that is elected on a purely meritocratic basis instead of cronyism, but unfortunately politricks is so ingrained within political culture that I don't think we'll ever have a government devoid of tossers.

ReputationRep:
    what i find more scary is when the result was announced within a couple of hours they were 10 articles about him on the daily mail...scary stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Popcorns)
    They're thick as well. The little pleb above getting innundated with blind pos rep for his ill informed comments.
    There is nothing 'thick' about exposing Labour for who they really are. They destroy every constituency they touch, I am yet to experience a civilised and appealing Labour constituency. They are all filth.

ReputationRep:
    Because it's a tried and tested strategy. If you tell the public that somebody's an extremist and that they will ruin everyone's lives if they get into power enough times, they might start to believe it. Their campaign strategy for the 2015 elections were mainly based on lies about the economy, scaremongering and insults about Miliband's appearance and you can see how well that worked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Popcorns)
    They're thick as well. The little pleb above getting innundated with blind pos rep for his ill informed comments.
    I would also like to add, it is hilarious how you people smear some tabloids for attacking Labour when you forget the Guardian, Mirror, Times, Independent, BBC, Channel 4 news and various more are left leaning and so far up Labour's butt****. These guys always attack UKIP and Tories but apparently that is ok and it is only bad if you attack Labour. Grow up.

ReputationRep:
    What a pathetic group of people the Conservatives are. I completely agree with the Russian Embassy, this is the kind of thing we would mock Putin for doing. The saddest thing is that your average person will believe this propoganda.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Because it's a tried and tested strategy. If you tell the public that somebody's an extremist and that they will ruin everyone's lives if they get into power enough times, they might start to believe it. Their campaign strategy for the 2015 elections were mainly based on lies about the economy, scaremongering and insults about Miliband's appearance and you can see how well that worked.
    I didn't have to listen to the tabloids, I met McDonnell in person and that experience confirmed it for me. Then his broadcasted episode where he praised the IRA is easily accessible on the Internet . Plus when Corbyn was on an Iranian broadcast station, I watched him closely and based on his language I have sufficient reason to believe he is an extremist sympathiser to put it lightly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gears265)
    I would also like to add, it is hilarious how you people smear some tabloids for attacking Labour when you forget the Guardian, Mirror, Times, Independent, BBC, Channel 4 news and various more are left leaning and so far up Labour's butt****. These guys always attack UKIP and Tories but apparently that is ok and it is only bad if you attack Labour. Grow up.
    yeah erm sorry but you no meka de sensa ...

More to the point the video is no longer even viewabke because it was nothing short of defamation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by citydeer)
    because thats how the tories work, they use scaremongering tactics to scare the public off other parties (it worked with miliband so why not do it to corbyn too)
    Like people weren't screaming about how the "evil", "nasty" Tories weren't trying to put people in workhouses, killing off the disabled etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    Like people weren't screaming about how the "evil", "nasty" Tories weren't trying to put people in workhouses, killing off the disabled etc.
    I don't believe there has been an official Labour statement about the tories killing off the disabled but if you know of one please link it.
    Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    Then why do they bother using them?

The only way the Tories can win is through scaremongering. They did it in 2010 banging on about Greece and they did it in 2015 banging on about Scotland.

And it was hardly much of a victory was it?
    Pointing out the other sides failings is pure politics.

Cornyns doing enough by himself to satisfy a loud, vocal minority. But if he is trying to woo the central ground that he needs to win to be elected then he's doing a great job at alienating voters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    Pointing out the other sides failings is pure politics.

Cornyns doing enough by himself to satisfy a loud, vocal minority. But if he is trying to woo the central ground that he needs to win to be elected then he's doing a great job at alienating voters.
    He's what, 36 hours into his official role and he's already "alienated voters"?

By this rate, the Tories would have sewn up the country by Christmas...

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.