Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SkyJP)
    Of course, that is all dependent on which antivirus you're using. The best antiviruses, well most of them, contain HIPS, behaviour blockers and/or cloud protection, and this protects extremely well against all malicious software, including zero-day malware (example: ESET responds the fastest to zero-day malware than any other security vendor, and quickly updates their database). The best antivirus vendors such as Emsisoft/ESET/Kaspersky/Norton use these features to their advantage.

On demand scanners such as Malwarebytes, Emsisoft Emergency Kit, and Hitman Pro are best at removal of malware when they're already on your system, and not as good as real-time protection provided by antiviruses that run in the background, which are for prevention (the first line of defense) to prevent the damage in the first place.

IMO on-demand scanners are behind in terms of protection. Real-time policy-based scanning for a background antivirus can block even the never-before-seen zero day malware, and since on-demand scanners do not run in the background, they are dependent on signature updates, while other vendors have already got protection. Nonetheless you should have on-demand scanners, such as Emsisoft Emergency Kit and Hitman Pro, to name the best, and you should run a combination of them occasionally (as one does not detect all the threats) since some of the precisely coded and best malware will not impact performance, so the user may never know.

The best Mac security software comes from ESET Cyber Security for Mac and Kaspersky Internet Security for Mac, both paid, but avast! is a decent option as well (though its Windows version is mediocre).
    So what you're saying is get eset and uninstall malwarebytes because eset does it all for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PardonMyFrench96)
    So what you're saying is get eset and uninstall malwarebytes because eset does it all for you?
    I just use the built in Windows protection with constant backups since I don't have a dodgy browsing habit.

The point I'm making is to highlight that antiviruses and antimalware programs are not different and are essentially the same, it's just the way that companies name their products which causes confusion.

If you are very risky user then you need good real time protection, periodical backups, and several on demand scanners that should be run periodically whether you see performance issues or not. This applies to all operating systems, where possible.

The security software you get is all dependent onyour internet habits. Many users can use free decent antiviruses and notvhave a problem as they are low risk users, while others need a full blown paid suite especially if multiple people use it. Some may go as far as using Shadow Defender to sanbox their system.

My advice for a mac is that if you know what you're doing online, use an antivirus and set it to scan files only on execution. By default they are set to scan files when they are read by any process, which may deplete the limited read-write cyles on SSDs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SkyJP)
    I just use the built in Windows protection with constant backups since I don't have a dodgy browsing habit.

The point I'm making is to highlight that antiviruses and antimalware programs are not different and are essentially the same, it's just the way that companies name their products which causes confusion.

If you are very risky user then you need good real time protection, periodical backups, and several on demand scanners that should be run periodically whether you see performance issues or not. This applies to all operating systems, where possible.

The security software you get is all dependent onyour internet habits. Many users can use free decent antiviruses and notvhave a problem as they are low risk users, while others need a full blown paid suite especially if multiple people use it. Some may go as far as using Shadow Defender to sanbox their system.

My advice for a mac is that if you know what you're doing online, use an antivirus and set it to scan files only on execution. By default they are set to scan files when they are read by any process, which may deplete the limited read-write cyles on SSDs.
    Im not doing anything too wild, just streaming shows from less reputable sites. What do you mean on execution? Shall I just stick to what I have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PardonMyFrench96)
    Im not doing anything too wild, just streaming shows from less reputable sites. What do you mean on execution? Shall I just stick to what I have?
    On execution is where an antivirus scans a file only when it is run or executed.

The default setting is where files are scanned when they are accessed or read by the hard drive. This is better in terms of protection but if you have an SSD, as all macbooks do, the life span of the ssd decreases as many files are frequently read and scanned by the antivirus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexschmalex)
    I've been on OS X for the last 7 years and have never had any need for an antivirus, as long as you use common sense in the sites you visit you'll honestly be fine
    Pretty much this. If you know what you're looking for then the threat is actually incredibly low. If you don't know what you're looking for then its time to get some software that does and will help you out.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.