Show

Shame it was wrong
    Spoiler:
    Show

:mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    Ayy I think you're correct.
    Thanks for your help people, I guess I will take it as book error and move on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikingninja)
    I just found the minimum point and it actually only works if it is equal to or smaller than -2 or greater than 6 so yeah im wtfing now. Should ask your teacher when you next see them.
    No, just when k<-2 (and when k>6), not when k=2 (in this case b^2-4ac=0 which means it only has one real root).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illiberal Liberal)
    No, just when k<-2 (and when k>6), not when k=2 (in this case b^2-4ac=0 which means it only has one real root).
    Oh yeah forgot the question had plural roots.

ReputationRep:
    I think it is a book error. I remember doing the same question and it said that it had no real roots.
    Attachment 461723
    Thats where I match my solution and if you see the B part its totally same and they wrote it correct but they still solved it wrong. Anyways heres the full exercise in the edexcel c1 book https://gyazo.com/53e50be42dfbd25b60c49fb2147cb783

ReputationRep:
    I think it is a book error. I remember doing the same question and it said that it had no real roots.
    Attachment 461723
    Why is that a book error?

No real roots simply means b^2-4ac<0 (but I assume you already know this so forgive me for coming across as condescending... ).

ReputationRep:
    Why is that a book error?

No real roots simply means b^2-4ac<0 (but I assume you already know this so forgive me for coming across as condescending... ).
    (Original post by Hamzah249)
    Thats where I match my solution and if you see the B part its totally same and they wrote it correct but they still solved it wrong. Anyways heres the full exercise in the edexcel c1 book https://gyazo.com/53e50be42dfbd25b60c49fb2147cb783
    thats why

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamzah249)
    Q.Find the range of values of k for which the equation x^2-kx+(k+3)=0 has real roots.

So this means that b^2-4ac >= 0

But the answer in the book and solution book are both same which doesn't make sense. Can someone please solve this here so I can match my answer? Im pretty sure it's wrong in the book.
    (Original post by Vikingninja)
    k^2-4a(k+3)>0

Go from there.
    Here you go, excuse the paint skills lmao.
    Attachment 461681
    (Original post by midgemeister7)
    Yep, those workings do not make sense. Should be what you said.
    Shouldn't your b=-k?

Guys you will be better off to discuss maths help on problems such as this in the correct forum
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=38.

Over there is where most of the "maths helpers" visit.
    This is a subforum for discussion of specific maths exams.

If you are all of you are taking maths this year, I wish you all the best.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 16, 2015

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.