Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatima1998)
    around 230 pounds
    emmm...... media would b a youtube i think and i am not really in gaming anymore!!!
    Hello again,
    So clearly you are looking towards a budget, student and non-gaming laptop.
    You would not be able to get any decent, modern Apple laptop for this budget.

One potential thing to look at is the Chromebook range of laptops, manufactured by a range of brands (ASUS, Toshiba etc.) running the relatively new Chrome OS.
    The Chromebooks are slim, cheap, portable, light computers with insanely fast boot times (less than 10 seconds) with the drawback that they don't run Windows - almost all Windows software is incompatible. However, you will be able to find replacements for all your Windows software on the Chrome web store which features thousands upon thousands of free apps for word editing, maths, games, youtube, browsing, media etc. and the fact that you have wifi at the school is a bonus and means you can use the online apps all the time.
    The Chromebooks however have limited hard disk space - sometimes around 32GB - which means you won't be able to store much on the laptop itself. For this reason, chromebooks come with something like 100GB free online cloud storage space (internet access is required).

Hence if you are looking at the chromebook range, a nice one in your budget would be the ASUS C300MA 13.3 inch (which has the downside of 2gb less ram than similarly priced models):
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...mputers&sr=1-1

One slightly outside your budget but packing a much nicer RAM spec (albeit lower local storage space) is the Acer C910-C3B4 (downside of being heavy):
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Chromeb...hromebook+c910

Lower than your budget with less space but more RAM:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-N20-1...ELL+CHROMEBOOK

Considerably more expensive (for the full HD version) but packing a much nicer screen:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-CB30...N%3DB00RK7LFEG

Currently there aren't that many decent laptops in your price range with good power apart from chromebooks, however this one is quite amazing for the price:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...Y476MELSYEUQ5R

It has 4GB RAM like those higher end chromebooks plus 500GB local storage space (nice!) all for £199.99. As you will see there are options for more RAM/hard disk space as well. 720p webcam, dvd drive, decent screen albeit a little heavier than the chromebooks. However, it runs Windows so all programs will be compatible

You will note a lot of previous posters mentioning things like the Surface. These are good, but I myself am not a fan of anything touchscreen windows + the surface price tag is stupidly high, like Macbooks.
    Hope I helped, don't hesitate to ask any more questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spotify95)
    No problem at all

So basically you need a laptop that is suited to studying? Most laptops these days should be able to run Microsoft Office reasonably well, the same goes for Youtube (which you mentioned previously).

You said about a Surface Pro earlier, they would definitely do what you need and be lightweight enough to carry around easily - only thing is that these are more expensive than a basic laptop.

Let me know if you need any more help
    thats the problem right!!! they cost of the laptops touching the sky...
    i dont even know if my dad is gonna bother paying that much money for the laptop or i might buy a second hand with a good condition

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phoenixsilver)
    Hello again,
    So clearly you are looking towards a budget, student and non-gaming laptop.
    You would not be able to get any decent, modern Apple laptop for this budget.

One potential thing to look at is the Chromebook range of laptops, manufactured by a range of brands (ASUS, Toshiba etc.) running the relatively new Chrome OS.
    The Chromebooks are slim, cheap, portable, light computers with insanely fast boot times (less than 10 seconds) with the drawback that they don't run Windows - almost all Windows software is incompatible. However, you will be able to find replacements for all your Windows software on the Chrome web store which features thousands upon thousands of free apps for word editing, maths, games, youtube, browsing, media etc. and the fact that you have wifi at the school is a bonus and means you can use the online apps all the time.
    The Chromebooks however have limited hard disk space - sometimes around 32GB - which means you won't be able to store much on the laptop itself. For this reason, chromebooks come with something like 100GB free online cloud storage space (internet access is required).

Hence if you are looking at the chromebook range, a nice one in your budget would be the ASUS C300MA 13.3 inch (which has the downside of 2gb less ram than similarly priced models):
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...mputers&sr=1-1

One slightly outside your budget but packing a much nicer RAM spec (albeit lower local storage space) is the Acer C910-C3B4 (downside of being heavy):
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Chromeb...hromebook+c910

Lower than your budget with less space but more RAM:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-N20-1...ELL+CHROMEBOOK

Considerably more expensive (for the full HD version) but packing a much nicer screen:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-CB30...N%3DB00RK7LFEG

Currently there aren't that many decent laptops in your price range with good power apart from chromebooks, however this one is quite amazing for the price:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...Y476MELSYEUQ5R

It has 4GB RAM like those higher end chromebooks plus 500GB local storage space (nice!) all for £199.99. As you will see there are options for more RAM/hard disk space as well. 720p webcam, dvd drive, decent screen albeit a little heavier than the chromebooks. However, it runs Windows so all programs will be compatible

You will note a lot of previous posters mentioning things like the Surface. These are good, but I myself am not a fan of anything touchscreen windows + the surface price tag is stupidly high, like Macbooks.
    Hope I helped, don't hesitate to ask any more questions
    goodness sake!!!
    that helps me alot
    thanks for ur help friend

ReputationRep:
    thats the problem right!!! they cost of the laptops touching the sky...
    i dont even know if my dad is gonna bother paying that much money for the laptop or i might buy a second hand with a good condition
    If you want a slightly cheaper option (the Surface Pro is quite expensive) and you want something like the Surface Pro (i.e. a laptop that can also be portable and used as a tablet), then the Lenovo Yoga (mentioned earlier in the thread) will be cheaper: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computi...32969-pdt.html

It doesn't have as good a battery life as the Surface Pro though, so if battery life is important then you might want to look for something else?

ReputationRep:
    If you want a slightly cheaper option (the Surface Pro is quite expensive) and you want something like the Surface Pro (i.e. a laptop that can also be portable and used as a tablet), then the Lenovo Yoga (mentioned earlier in the thread) will be cheaper: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computi...32969-pdt.html

It doesn't have as good a battery life as the Surface Pro though, so if battery life is important then you might want to look for something else?
    I'm inclined to disagree - the OP has already stated her price budget of £230.

ReputationRep:

so which laptops have good battery life?

ReputationRep:
    I'm inclined to disagree - the OP has already stated her price budget of £230.
    In which case, if the budget is £230 then the OP is better off looking for a cheap windows laptop, rather than a convertible laptop/tablet.

And anyway looking on Curry's the Surface Pro is way way more expensive than the Lenovo that I linked to. That Lenovo that I linked to is £350 but the cheapest Surface is £420 on Curry's, which is £200 over budget.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't know off the top of my head but this Asus laptop has up to 8 hours battery life, and is very cheap too. Though it does have quite a small screen (11.6 in) and isn't that powerful either.

I'll have a little look for you and see what I can find out for you, bearing in mind your budget and what you need it for.

edit: This Acer laptop looks to be reasonable; it has a 15.6 inch screen which is standard size (so it'll be easier to see/use), has enough RAM and a processor strong enough to run most things (so long as you don't need it for gaming), has enough storage for all of your files/documents, has up to a 7 hour battery life, and is only £10 above your stated budget of £230.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't know off the top of my head but this Asus laptop has up to 8 hours battery life, and is very cheap too. Though it does have quite a small screen (11.6 in) and isn't that powerful either.

I'll have a little look for you and see what I can find out for you, bearing in mind your budget and what you need it for.
    thanks for ur help friend!!!

ReputationRep:

The ASUS laptop you linked to has only got 32GB onboard storage, pretty poor for a Windows laptop, especially considering that the office 365 and subscriptions for cloud storage are for 1/2 years.
    I'd say it's a bad choice and costs will rack up year after year.

If you take a look at the list of laptops/chromebooks in my original response, OP may find something more suitable.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for ur help friend!!!
    No problem. I've also edited my post to link you to another laptop that may be better if you need a bigger screen, and a bit more power in it, whilst still having a reasonable battery life.

No problem

ReputationRep:
    If you take a look at those ones I originally linked to, they have good battery life.
    Please don't fall into the trap of buying a cheap laptop like other posters have mentioned with low onboard storage and temporary subscriptions to online services.
    If you buy one of these windows laptops with "free 1 year subscription" you will be paying stupid amounts of money every year for pointless extra storage when you could get a chromebook with free online storage or a windows laptop (like the one I linked) with massive onboard storage.

Should you need permanent free storage online, MEGA.co.nz gives 50GB free.

ReputationRep:
    The ASUS laptop you linked to has only got 32GB onboard storage, pretty poor for a Windows laptop, especially considering that the office 365 and subscriptions for cloud storage are for 1/2 years.
    I'd say it's a bad choice and costs will rack up year after year.

If you take a look at the list of laptops/chromebooks in my original response, OP may find something more suitable.
    That's pretty poor isn't it :sadnod:

In which case I have linked the OP to a better laptop, that is only £10 over their budget and has much better specs (whilst retaining battery life).

Have a look at it: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computi...24040-pdt.html

ReputationRep:

edit: This Acer laptop looks to be reasonable; it has a 15.6 inch screen which is standard size (so it'll be easier to see/use), has enough RAM and a processor strong enough to run most things (so long as you don't need it for gaming), has enough storage for all of your files/documents, has up to a 7 hour battery life, and is only £10 above your stated budget of £230.
    somehow i couldnt see the hyperlink u sent me!!!
    when i clicked it saying ' page not available'

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear, maybe something is up with the TSR link thingy?

Try this, it should work: (copy and paste that into your browser)

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-aspire-es1-512-15-6-laptop-black-10124040-pdt.html

ReputationRep:
    Seems like the links aren't working. If you look at my original post and in the links themselves from both myself and spotify95, you can find the model and number and then search it on amazon or currys pc world.

ReputationRep:
    Seems like the links aren't working. If you look at my original post and in the links themselves from both myself and spotify95, you can find the model and number and then search it on amazon or currys pc world.
    Yes the TSR link system isn't working. Why, I don't know.

I have provided the full URL to that Acer laptop, which if you copy and paste into your browser, you will get the model of laptop I was on about.

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear, maybe something is up with the TSR link thingy?

Try this, it should work: (copy and paste that into your browser)

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computi...24040-pdt.html
    yup this link works!!!
    but looks big coz its got number's pad on the right whereas most of the mini laptops dont have them, they only have above the alphabets...
    aren't there any laptops that can be used like a tablet and a laptop too 2 in 1 other than surface n leveno ones
    sorry if i am wasting ur time

ReputationRep:
    yup this link works!!!
    but looks big coz its got number's pad on the right whereas most of the mini laptops dont have them, they only have above the alphabets...
    aren't there any laptops that can be used like a tablet and a laptop too 2 in 1 other than surface n leveno ones
    sorry if i am wasting ur time
    Brilliant

Unfortunately it is quite a big laptop, I focused more on your need for battery life and price points as well. Some of the smaller laptops/netbooks (which have smaller screens) are more portable, but usually the smaller laptops don't have as good performance as the normal sized ones.

There are plenty of other providers that do 2 in 1 laptop/tablet combo machines; however these are usually more expensive and are way outside of your budget? For example the cheapest Surface Pro I saw was £420 and didn't have as good specs as the Acer laptop.

If you want a smaller laptop (i.e. 11 or 12 inch screen) I can have a look for you, but please don't get that smaller laptop I linked to earlier as the onboard storage is rubbish :doh:

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant

Unfortunately it is quite a big laptop, I focused more on your need for battery life and price points as well. Some of the smaller laptops/netbooks (which have smaller screens) are more portable, but usually the smaller laptops don't have as good performance as the normal sized ones.

There are plenty of other providers that do 2 in 1 laptop/tablet combo machines; however these are usually more expensive and are way outside of your budget? For example the cheapest Surface Pro I saw was £420 and didn't have as good specs as the Acer laptop.

If you want a smaller laptop (i.e. 11 or 12 inch screen) I can have a look for you, but please don't get that smaller laptop I linked to earlier as the onboard storage is rubbish :doh:
    hahahaha thanks buddy

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.