Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know its tempting to fit yourself into a label, trust me i've been there but tbh you shouldnt have to label yourself.

Live life how you want and see what happens in the future. There is no rush to label yourself, theres no need to label yourself at all.

Good luck with everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jebedee)
    Yeah, an irrelevant one because those situations are completely different.
    I'm sure your IQ is well into double figures

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sqwertylol)
    Response: Yes so much it has to be expressed through binary. Debunked once again.

(Original post by k3ro)
    Don't have much to say, tbh it's your sexuality and I'm sure you'll figure it out in time, but here's a webpage you might find useful. Ignore the people who are calling your sexuality nonsense.
    Thank you so much for your kind comment! I will take a look at the link now

(Original post by Cobalt_)
    I know its tempting to fit yourself into a label, trust me i've been there but tbh you shouldnt have to label yourself.

Live life how you want and see what happens in the future. There is no rush to label yourself, theres no need to label yourself at all.

Thank you! Yeah, sometimes it does feel like I have to put a lable on my sexuality, if only for me and to know what I am. I've never thought of considering otherwise until now.

(Original post by sqwertylol)

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi,

So I am 18 years old, female and about to go to uni. I've never really been sexually attracted to a person (I've had moments but they've been so brief and wavering, and each time it has been so slight that it's not even worth mentioning). I am able to get aroused at the idea of a male touching me sexually when masturbating, but the idea of it seems to be more appealing than it actually happening, if that makes sense? I've never had a boyfriend or been with a dude, but I think that's because I've never felt this way towards anyone (plus, I'm not exactly very attractive or entirely approachable in the eyes of the opposite sex, but this is just my opinion).

I am able to see people as physically attractive though, and I like the idea of holding hands or hugging the guys I find fit rather than anything else (if that). I want to be able to experience sexual attraction and it frustrates me that I can't. I'm also quite picky on who I think is attractive which also irritates me -- how do I change this mindset?

So... Am I asexual or have I just not met the right person?
    Hello, mirror of me? I identify as demisexual until proven otherwise - that is I am heterosexual but only able to feel sexual attraction to someone I am emotionally close to.

ReputationRep:
    As someone who is asexual myself, I can sort of relate to what you're saying about imagining a sexual experience being more appealing than it actually happening and if you've never really felt sexual attraction to someone as well as that I'd say that yes, you're on the asexual spectrum. The important thing is that you learn to embrace it as part of who you are and to not let yourself or anyone else tell you you're abnormal or that there's anything wrong with you. Besides, the benefit of being asexual is you'll never get STDs

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Hello, mirror of me? I identify as demisexual until proven otherwise - that is I am heterosexual but only able to feel sexual attraction to someone I am emotionally close to.
    Hey

There are just so many possibilities out there! I may research more on the topic so I can be more sure of what falls into what category (and out of curiosity) -- I have to say, this topic certainly is an interesting one!
    Thank you for this, I'll be sure to do some more research.

(Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    As someone who is asexual myself, I can sort of relate to what you're saying about imagining a sexual experience being more appealing than it actually happening and if you've never really felt sexual attraction to someone as well as that I'd say that yes, you're on the asexual spectrum. The important thing is that you learn to embrace it as part of who you are and to not let yourself or anyone else tell you you're abnormal or that there's anything wrong with you. Besides, the benefit of being asexual is you'll never get STDs
    Haha! I can see how that would be an advantage . Thank you for this input, it means a lot to me. It's nice to hear what everyone else has to say about it.

ReputationRep:
    If you aren't that attractive yourself you cannot afford to be picky? What a load of nonsense! Be as picky as you like! There is someone out there for everyone and no matter how you percieve youself, theres many people who would find you attractive in all sorts of ways. As someone else has said, no need to label yourself. Things happen at different times in life for everyone, we can't all have sex aged 14 and sleep around at university in the name of 'discovering ourselves'. When you meet the right person, you'll know whether you have a high drive or not. Some people just aren't as sexually motivated as others, doesn't matter at all! xx

(Original post by Dartychu)
    Google demisexual. I'm actually not sure if they really exist, but it might be you.

As for changing it, there's not much you can really do. If anything can change, it's not going to be of your own accord. Sorry.

Yes we really exist.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 17, 2015
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.