Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone applying to University of Southampton for Audiology 2016? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM)
    Do you happen to know the salary for those who just finished a degree either in the NHS or private sector?
    If you do bsc audiology (undergraduate) you start on band 5 which is around 21k-28k and have the chance to progress to band 6 which ranges from 26k-34k.. After you complete msc audiology (masters) you start on band 7 which is around 40k and you can progress onto band 8. You can check on the nhs wehsites for the accurate figures for each band.

I'm not too sure about private but I do know that it is a profit motive sector so how much you make depends on the amount of hearing aids you sell etc. I do believe that you can make more in private sector but the environment/motive is completely different to nhs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelstudent01)
    Hey i got offered a place too, 2 days after the interview.. I expected them to take a lot longer. Did your requirement go down?
    #
    Yeah! they got back two days after the interview which was excellent! And yes my grade requirement went down to ABB. When did you have your interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pk25)
    Hey guys,I have been accepted by Southampton for audiology. Basically, they invite you to a group discussion once you get selected. They wont reject you on the basis of the group discussion. There are three outcomes:
    1. Your offer remains the same at AAB
    2. They like you so much that they bring your grade requirements down to ABB.
    3. If they have any doubts, you get called in for a personal interview which is not on the same day so dont fret if you do. This is more like a counselling session where they would like to know more about you and your interest in audiology.
    The staff are extremely helpful and nice!!! They are there to help you to secure your offer.Before the group discussion, they ask you to read the NHS constitution and on the basis of which they give you your group discussion topics. I only had three people in my group discussion so it's not a massive one and its easy to get noticed.You have to dress up formally and the whole visit day is very chilled out so don't worry too much Good luck xxx
    Congratulations! I'm in my first year there. All the staff are really nice and supportive, as well as being great lecturers. Hope to see you there in the autumn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelstudent01)
    Hey i got offered a place too, 2 days after the interview.. I expected them to take a lot longer. Did your requirement go down?
    It sounds like the Southampton offers are going out at the moment. Congratulations and hope to see you there in September!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I have been accepted by Southampton for audiology. Basically, they invite you to a group discussion once you get selected. They wont reject you on the basis of the group discussion. There are three outcomes:
    1. Your offer remains the same at AAB
    2. They like you so much that they bring your grade requirements down to ABB.
    3. If they have any doubts, you get called in for a personal interview which is not on the same day so dont fret if you do. This is more like a counselling session where they would like to know more about you and your interest in audiology.

The staff are extremely helpful and nice!!! They are there to help you to secure your offer.

Before the group discussion, they ask you to read the NHS constitution and on the basis of which they give you your group discussion topics. I only had three people in my group discussion so it's not a massive one and its easy to get noticed. Our topic was something along the lines of "Certain areas don't offer hearing aid services to people with mild hearing problems, how do you think it aligns with the NHS constitution and what are the motivations behind this?".

You have to dress up formally and the whole visit day is very chilled out so don't worry too much

Good luck xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claudiasahara)
    Hey! I got accepted to University of Southampton for Audiology for 2015 but I deferred to 2016 ( so I'll be starting next year September instead) . I was wondering if anyone is applying there and needs any advice or help let me know
    Hi! Yes I had my open day on Thursday and just firmed Southampton earlier, really looking forward to going there, nice facilities and friendly atmosphere So I have to have the occupational health check and also get some work experience in an audiology department and do a write up. Looking into Highfield halls in terms of accomodation at the moment due to location and it is also part-catered on the weekdays. Don't know if anyone on here has stayed in these halls, could give advise on food etc that is provided at Highfield?
    Conor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJ123412)
    Hi! Yes I had my open day on Thursday and just firmed Southampton earlier, really looking forward to going there, nice facilities and friendly atmosphere So I have to have the occupational health check and also get some work experience in an audiology department and do a write up. Looking into Highfield halls in terms of accomodation at the moment due to location and it is also part-catered on the weekdays. Don't know if anyone on here has stayed in these halls, could give advise on food etc that is provided at Highfield?
    Conor
    I don't know about the food there but have you seen this: http://catering.southampton.ac.uk/Halls

ReputationRep:
    AUDIOLOGY at DMU came runner up in the category 'Teaching excellence' at the recent Guardian 2016 awards - no other Audiology programme in the UK has ever been nominated, so to come runner up in a category comparing all universities and all programmes, suggests that Audiology at DMU is one of the best....they are planning placement experiences abroad: Canada, America, Burma, India. Take a look at DMU global

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Complete University Guide 2017 Results - Southampton is ranked the number one university offering Audiology under the Aural and Oral Sciences category http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...+Oral+Sciences

ReputationRep:

Complete University Guide 2017 Results - Southampton is ranked the number one university offering Audiology under the Aural and Oral Sciences category http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...+Oral+Sciences

Sounds good until you look into how they rate/score them: it is based on the wider and excellent activities of the university and not the course - this is clear as it has one of the lowest student satisfaction scores for Aural and Oral Sciences compared to the other universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by advice123)
    Sounds good until you look into how they rate/score them: it is based on the wider and excellent activities of the university and not the course - this is clear as it has one of the lowest student satisfaction scores for Aural and Oral Sciences compared to the other universities.
    Ah, you're right that this was the general rating for the uni. When you go to the site (http://www.theguardian.com/education...ue-tables-2017) and search for BSc Audiology, Aston was first this year and Southampton second (Manchester third, Leeds fourth, Swansea fifth, De Montford sixth, Middlesex seventh - not sure why Sunderland wasn't on there).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 27, 2016
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.