Turn on thread page Beta

Why do thirds seem to be universally looked down upon as lazy no matter the subject. watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about maths, but in an essay subject such as law it means you were churning out daily mail articles for 3 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    To just repeat what has been said, because it's so easy. At most universities (pretty much any bar the top few) an able candidate should be able to get a third without even going to lectures and learning the course the day before/morning of the exam

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No one studying physics maths or anything similar at degree level can just "learn the course the day before/morning of the exam" even with a photographic memory.
    Most people finishing A levels can't realistically expect to get through a degree in 3 years.
    Able is relative an able candidate can get 5 firsts from Oxford in 5 STEM degrees at once if that's how you chose to define able.I had A A C grades at A Level a 148 IQ and worked harder than I had to for a 40 hour job. I attended every lecture. Courses are not equal in difficulty or the difficulty between different grade bands. I learnt to write code to do mathematical modeling as part of half of one 20 credit module I scored just over 70% in my first year. Then it got harder and I ended up with 49% over the 2nd and 3rd years and at the highest end of the lowest honours degree and second lowest degree. In america there's a 50% dropout rate for stem subjects many have taken extra years before hand or to graduate in some cases they have many more years worth of a knowledge base to draw from and have covered some of the topics before hand.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.