Turn on thread page Beta

Receiving death threats from my family watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abruiseonthesky)
    Well I don't know for sure it's her whole family, but the inference is from OP's post that it is. If it isn't her whole family, surely those who aren't sending threats should be willing to support her regardless and will be there whatever happens.
    Exactly!

ReputationRep:
    Well I don't know for sure it's her whole family, but the inference is from OP's post that it is. If it isn't her whole family, surely those who aren't sending threats should be willing to support her regardless and will be there whatever happens.
    That's what I was trying to get at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Well I highly doubt if she'd been estranged by some random uncle/aunt or basically someone not-so-close that she'd have to leave her home
    Unless it's every single person related to her (which you don't know) then she might have to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HAnwar)
    Unless it's every single person related to her (which you don't know) then she might have to.
    What I'm saying is, if it's got to this point, surely it's the majority of people she cares or once cared about who are sending death threats. If there are some people who still support her, I doubt she needs to "go back to her home" to discover that. I'm sure they'd privately contact her.

ReputationRep:
    That's what I was trying to get at.
    Your point is completely moot - if it's not her whole family sending threats then those who aren't will support her regardless?

ReputationRep:
    What I'm saying is, if it's got to this point, surely it's the majority of people she cares or once cared about who are sending death threats. If there are some people who still support her, I doubt she needs to "go back to her home" to discover that. I'm sure they'd privately contact her.
    Yeah maybe they will, maybe they won't.

ReputationRep:
    Your point is completely moot - if it's not her whole family sending threats then those who aren't will support her regardless?
    I know but how will she know that unless she contacts one for help (who hasn't sent her threats).
    Anyways allow this debate on the thread.

ReputationRep:
    I know but how will she know that unless she contacts one for help (who hasn't sent her threats).
    I think if that family member supports her enough, they will reach out to her

ReputationRep:
    Say you do marry your Hindu boyfriend and cut off with your family, what are you going to do if your partner leaves you?
    Think about that for a moment.
    She's been estranged from her family (who are threatening to kill her) for three years, has been trying to block them contacting her and she's 25 years old. Pretty sure a grown woman can survive on her own and why on earth would she not want to be cut off from psychopathic family members?

Sounds to me she'd be better off even if she was single.

ReputationRep:
    I think if that family member supports her enough, they will reach out to her
    Totally agree.

ReputationRep:
    No one's saying report the family members that haven't sent her threats...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hibzish)
    How can u choose a boy who u may easily breakup with over your own family? Even ur own mother that is just disgusting. I say u apologise to them right now and try to make amends.
    :no:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are you absolutely out of your mind?

The Muslim members of my family married Christian/Atheists absolutely fine and were totally welcome with Love by both sides of the family, with certainly no 'death threats' from anybody within the Asian community. This isn't even about religion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I am a 25 year old Muslim girl who is marrying her Hindu boyfriend. I have been estranged from my family for 3 years after their refusal to accept my lovely boyfriend and his family. His family have accepted me wholeheartedly for which I am very thankful but recently my family have got in touch. They have been sending me death threats via email, phone and post despite my efforts to block them. I want nothing to do with them and I don't believe these are serious threats but I am still really worried and so is my boyfriend and his family. Should I report them to the police? I still care for them but I don't want to abide by their draconian rules. What should I do?
    If you believe the threats are legit and something to be feared you should definitely inform the police. If you don't inform the police and you "family" take action to harm you or your boyfriend, you're going to regret it.

At this point you shouldn't consider those people your family, if they're threatening you now then its going to get even worse and if you love your boyfriend you should at least play your role and protect.

Go to the police.

ReputationRep:
    I am a 25 year old Muslim girl who is marrying her Hindu boyfriend. I have been estranged from my family for 3 years after their refusal to accept my lovely boyfriend and his family. His family have accepted me wholeheartedly for which I am very thankful but recently my family have got in touch. They have been sending me death threats via email, phone and post despite my efforts to block them. I want nothing to do with them and I don't believe these are serious threats but I am still really worried and so is my boyfriend and his family. Should I report them to the police? I still care for them but I don't want to abide by their draconian rules. What should I do?
    Is there an update OP?

ReputationRep:
    Report them. OP are you living with your boyfriend's family?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, report them. They are committing serious offences just by doing that and they police will get them off your back. Are you hesitating because they you feel they will treat police intervention as a reason to attack you? They would find that extremely difficult to get into if the police are onto them for the threats, with modern police methods and monitoring of their phones, etc.

ReputationRep:
    I'm usually one who would never advocate burning bridges with your family but in this case it would be an exception. Death threats are where you should draw the line.

Even if you did decide to break up with your boyfriend - as per your family's wishes - you will be then living with the very people who once wanted to kill you. Ridiculous.

Stay safe. Report them.

(Original post by samina_ay)
    This society has hardly reached gender equality yet. A woman will still be viewed as a sexual object at work, she will be deemed as a "slut" if she wore something provocative. Yes you're allowed to date and go out wherever, gender inequality isn't non-existent.
    Really that's a parlance all over the world. It's up to the slut to take it as a compliment or insult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnimeGuy)
    If you believe the threats are legit and something to be feared you should definitely inform the police. If you don't inform the police and you "family" take action to harm you or your boyfriend, you're going to regret it.

At this point you shouldn't consider those people your family, if they're threatening you now then its going to get even worse and if you love your boyfriend you should at least play your role and protect.

Go to the police.
    Exactly this. OP should do this for her actual family (her boyfriend and her boyfriend's family) if she loves them.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Hi everyone,

This thread is not the place to be having a debate about Islam. Please show some sensitivity to the OP and keep your replies reasonable and construictive.

I'm sorry to hear you're going through this at the moment. You should seriously consider reporting them to the police. I know it's difficult because they are your family, but what they are doing isn't right and is also a serious offense. You shouldn't have to live with being threatened like this.

Make sure you keep a record of everything that has been sent to you to show to the police.

Do your family know where you are living now? Have you told any one else about what is going on? Hope you're okay, stay safe.

You are wrong to think that. There is no such thing as a non-serious death threat. Call the police -- if this is their idea of a joke, then they don't deserve to have the right to make jokes.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 20, 2015
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.