Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strachan99)
    how do you answer an 8 mark question at national 5 english
    I have done sailmaker for my Scottish text and I have 4 quotes for the 8 marker and I also good knowledge on the text so will I be okay with 4 quotes for tomorrow ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jradn89)
    For the 8 mark question on the Scottish text what does the 2 comparison marks mean? I've only studied Sailmaker (Scottish text) and Dulce et decorum est (poem)
    If you have only done one poem then that's your critical. For the 8 mark you would compare(find the common theme) in the characters in Sailmaker. Good luck ! :-)

ReputationRep:
    thanks so much this helps for the exam tomorrow :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

ReputationRep:
    1) commonality = abit of each poem
    2) the printed poem - 2 quotes + analysis ( as a mush as you can write )
    3) comparison poem - 2 quotes + atleast 2 main paragraphs of analysis
    This will get you ALL 8 marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ___Sophie___)
    I'm pretty sure that you need to quote. Our teacher advises us to have four quotations memorized per poem. In the exam you will need to use two quotations for the poem that is not in front of you and one quotation for the quotation that is in front of you.
    Hi! My National 5 English exam is tomorrow. The eight mark question is still confusing me as I'm very unsure as to what specific quotes I should be looking to learn. Also, what do the Morgan 8 markers typically ask on? What's best to focus on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Matthew01_)
    Hi! My National 5 English exam is tomorrow. The eight mark question is still confusing me as I'm very unsure as to what specific quotes I should be looking to learn. Also, what do the Morgan 8 markers typically ask on? What's best to focus on?
    I honestly can't remember sorry , it's been a year since I did n5 and can't remember a thing about the Morgan poems

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if the other poems section, do you have to link it to the poem in front of you or do you just write about the other poem?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully this will help.

The Thematic question - i.e. the 8 mark question - indicates the theme you have been asked to address. Please do not ignore the theme raised.

First:- How do you see that theme operating in the poem set. Give a quote and point out how - the language of the quote - highlights that theme.

Second:- Work out what other poems can also be said to explore - even if it is tenuous - this same theme.

Thiird:- Take the first of your two poems and - again focusing on the language - point out how the language illustrates this chosen theme. If pos. maybe reference this poems exporation of the theme to the set poem.

Fourth:- Repeat "third" for your second poem.

I know there is a lot of talk about how to divide up the marks - and that is an important issue. But for those confused, I would suggest you forget the allocation of marks.

All you need to do - of course with the use quotations and your explanation of them - all you need to do is three things:-
    a) Can you see the chosen theme in the selected text and can you - with quotations - comment on it.
    b) Can you see this same theme in two of the other poems.
    c) With the use of quotations, can you explain how that theme operates in the other poems.
    d) If you have time, through the three poems do you see any variation in the set theme.

Finally:- you will be marked on the logic and power of your argument and how you make. You may well have forgotten much you wanted to say. That does not matter. What you will be judged of is did what you say make sense - and not did the examiner agree with you - and did you address the question set.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesg2)
    Hopefully this will help.

The Thematic question - i.e. the 8 mark question - indicates the theme you have been asked to address. Please do not ignore the theme raised.

First:- How do you see that theme operating in the poem set. Give a quote and point out how - the language of the quote - highlights that theme.

Second:- Work out what other poems can also be said to explore - even if it is tenuous - this same theme.

Thiird:- Take the first of your two poems and - again focusing on the language - point out how the language illustrates this chosen theme. If pos. maybe reference this poems exporation of the theme to the set poem.

Fourth:- Repeat "third" for your second poem.

I know there is a lot of talk about how to divide up the marks - and that is an important issue. But for those confused, I would suggest you forget the allocation of marks.

All you need to do - of course with the use quotations and your explanation of them - all you need to do is three things:-
    a) Can you see the chosen theme in the selected text and can you - with quotations - comment on it.
    b) Can you see this same theme in two of the other poems.
    c) With the use of quotations, can you explain how that theme operates in the other poems.
    d) If you have time, through the three poems do you see any variation in the set theme.
    That's great - Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.