Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    I thought you also had to memorise all the RAMs to 1dp?
    No, that's not true. Questions that need RAMs to answer them provide the relevant RAMs, as far as I can remember. And there aren't many of those, any way.

(Original post by nexttime)
    You had to do that?! I thought it was a Merton specific thing!

I was under the impression that if Merton's stereotype was true for one subject, it was Chemistry. But if everyone had to memorise random **** like that maybe I was wrong...
    Yeah, we had no periodic tables in our exams. Merton's stereotype might be true for chemistry: they seemed to pick up a lot of prizes (especially in first year) while I was at Oxford – but small sample sizes, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Chemistry has a LOT of maths involved, far more than most people seem to realise, is all I would say.

And yes my experience was also that most chemists would have time to relax. Perhaps not every evening or every weekend, but plenty.
    Some anecdotes: I was close friends with a few chemists - with one we would go kayaking for 3-6 hours every other weekend or so plus did rowing, another was heavily involved with the cross country and walking clubs, regularly taking weekends in the Lake district etc, another was actually our boat club captain and trained 8x per week for the first boat, as well as doing uni-level orienteering and cross country. Conversely, two of the six chemists did actually change course after the first year primarily because of the workload. Both changed to biochemistry (which is less maths-intensive, a big part of their problem) and coped fine after that.
    Handy that I like Maths then xD Thank you for your help. I mean obviously it will depend on an individual but I would want to be able to schedule my week and say that, Idk I see parents once a week, see boyfriend every two/three weeks or something. I'm mostly worried about not being able to spend time with my family cause they're a big part of my life and I don't want to lose that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duck Soup)
    I think that to some extent with maths it is one of those subjects which if you are really astoundingly good at it you can basically just breeze through it. It's pretty rare though that people can do this.
    Most of the mathematicians I know do spend a lot of time working, although it seems to really vary based on what areas of maths they enjoy the most, some hate analysis and the more pure maths stuff, some find this stuff easy and so depending on your course/what options you take the amount of time spent working will fluctuate a bit. I'd guess that they probably spend a similar amount of time to the chemists doing self study stuff, although perhaps a little less as there's less outright remembering stuff that you have to do. (Having said all this, most of the people I know doing maths are doing Maths & CompSci - the pure mathematicians are generally a little less social and spend more time working)
    Thank you for your reply . My boyfriend is applying to do Maths there. Admittedly I'm worried he won't even be considered for an interview because of his AS results. He really dislikes statistics and loves pure so he did really badly in the Stats section which pulled his grades down. He is however retaking it which should bring his grade up significantly. I suppose I just worry I won't have any time to see him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubbiepanda)
    Thank you for your reply . My boyfriend is applying to do Maths there. Admittedly I'm worried he won't even be considered for an interview because of his AS results. He really dislikes statistics and loves pure so he did really badly in the Stats section which pulled his grades down. He is however retaking it which should bring his grade up significantly. I suppose I just worry I won't have any time to see him.
    Good to hear that he's retaking it. I'm not certain but I don't think there is all that much stats involved (at least in first year), pure maths makes up a really large portion of the course. Relationships at Oxford can get a little strained but some manage it well. I dated a chemist during my first term there and it only lasted a couple of months, one of the main reasons for this being that the stress and time commitments made it kind of unmanageable for her. People tend to prioritise things differently so communication really is key for stable relationships here. Also worth pointing out that you're there less than half the year so while you might not see him so much in term time, the holidays are really long giving you plenty of time.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.