Turn on thread page Beta

Alex Salmond - "Scotland would win the YES vote if referendum held this week" ? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigItch)
    Well they won it first time round apart from the electoral fraud
    Are you a moon howling, tin foil hat wearing cybernat?

Do you think MI5 were involved?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)

No...

Sky news broadcasted images of yes votes on no tables. I do believe in the GE this year there was some questionable results

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Difficult to say. Polls indicate that support for independence has continued to rise, and it's rather disconcerting how inept pro-Union politicians are at combating nationalism.
    It's not really "unionist politicians", it's the Scottish Labour Party. It's a sad fact, but the nationalists will continue to dominate the agenda while the main party of opposition is so weak.

Labour has to get its act together or make way for a new opposition, for the sake of the union.

(Original post by djj)
    Best chance they have is if they wait 5 years, when some of the older voters who are more likely to vote "no" have passed away.

Sounds grim but it's there.
    It's daft politics though. People who think politics follows demographic trends are almost always disappointed. In the 1980s and 90s, it was a constant refrain from the Irish nationalists that they'd outbreed the Protestants and unionists.

The problem is that people's views change and people who are still children or unborn cannot have their politics predicted simply by who they are.

Moreover, even the demographic trend is flawed. The limited data we have suggests that the nationalists are strongest in the middle-age groups, with the young and old being more unionist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    I doubt it - as I see it the Yes campaign failed because there was too much uncertainty over currency, debt, EU membership and things like this rather than a lack of appetite for independence.
    That is a lack of appetite for independence! I mean, you cannot simply divorce the consequences of a decision from the decision.

There are probably more people who will vote for the UK no matter what than there are who'll vote for independence no matter what. They're fairly solid - their minds are unlikely to be changed. What matters is those in the middle, who are open-minded, who'll take a measured view of things and consider what is best for themselves, the economy and their family.

ReputationRep:
    No...

Sky news broadcasted images of yes votes on no tables. I do believe in the GE this year there was some questionable results
    You've bought into a conspiracy theory. If you've ever been to an election count (which clearly you haven't), you'll know that votes are counted together initially at the verification stage. This gives a number of votes, against which - when they are divided up - the totals are compared against.

There were Yes Scotland representatives (alongside representatives from other nationalist groups) at every count, watching the votes. Not a single complaint was raised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    You've bought into a conspiracy theory. If you've ever been to an election count (which clearly you haven't), you'll know that votes are counted together initially at the verification stage. This gives a number of votes, against which - when they are divided up - the totals are compared against.

There were Yes Scotland representatives (alongside representatives from other nationalist groups) at every count, watching the votes. Not a single complaint was raised.
    What about the vote counter who stsrted voting o other peoples behlaf it was reported in a scottish newspaper some dead people voted not sure how true though. In my area i kniw the result before it happens so had no need too

ReputationRep:
    What about the vote counter who stsrted voting o other peoples behlaf it was reported in a scottish newspaper some dead people voted not sure how true though. In my area i kniw the result before it happens so had no need too
    Again, I've seen this footage. It's clear he was writing not on the ballots, but on the slip that goes on top of a bundle (where the number in the bundle has to be written). This is very common stuff at election counts.

In any case, I doubt a few ballot-counters managed to knock-up the 400,000 additional 'no' ballot papers that won the referendum, and then keep entirely quiet about it. Is that really a conceivable scenario?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    I think we should offer another referendum soon but with the proviso that if they go independent there is a subsequent referendum after 2 years; 5 years and 10 years of an independent Scotland where the Scots are asked if they want to return to being part of the UK.

Salmond presumably will accept this because he believes that when a country goes independent it never looks back, so it would be a great way to show all the doubters that the people of Scotland were resoundingly voting to remain independent.
    That will be great for business confidence up here , thanks.

ReputationRep:
    We need to give them a referendum as soon as possible and continue to until they vote out. The quicker we get rid of the Scotland, the quicker the UK can move forward.

ReputationRep:

Why do you even want those people in the UK? No more Scotland is goodbye to any Labour chance for government. We don't need Scotland. The people are a drain and holding us back.

ReputationRep:
    I think for a legal referendum to happen it has to be authorised in Westminster.

If that is so why on earth would we sanction another a year after the last one.

Sorry guys your going to have to wait another 20 years to waste everyone's time again.

Tell me all about oil prices me salmond have they halved? Have you sorted out that you will even have all of that oil based on entire UK investment to prospect and build the facilities to get it out the ground? Have you realised you won't get automatic EU membership and no UK currency?

Answers on the back of the world smallest violin please

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I honestly think that any perceived rise in the Yes camp is people not thinking the issue through. If we went through those same debates about currency, the EU and all the other issues that crippled the yes vote you would see a move back to no. It is concerning how the SNP keeps driving this issue after it has already been dealt with. I doubt they really want another referendum, this is just an easy issue to appear strong on and avoid domestic debate about their record.

ReputationRep:
    No...

No they didn't.

This was some conspiracy theory pumped out by cybernats upset that they lost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gears265)
    Why do you even want those people in the UK? No more Scotland is goodbye to any Labour chance for government. We don't need Scotland. The people are a drain and holding us back.
    Because I'm Scottish and don't particularly want to see Scotland economically destroyed by nationalist weirdos?

ReputationRep:
    No they didn't.

This was some conspiracy theory pumped out by cybernats upset that they lost.
    Odd that the powers that be would rig the independence vote but then allow the SNP 56 MPs in May.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Scotland leaving will ensure labour won't win which is a good thing. Leftists are making society decedent by promoting atheism, feminism and ultra liberalism. It is traditional values which uphold society and keeps it healthy.

ReputationRep:
    A good thing imo. Scots should be ruled by a government they choose, not what "middle England" lumbers them with.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Because I'm Scottish and don't particularly want to see Scotland economically destroyed by nationalist weirdos?
    Take one for the team. Hopefully you guys get another referendum next year or at least the year after that. Please vote out. Without you guys it ensures no more Labour. You would have done the UK a huge favour and let's be honest you people don't want to be in a union with us anyway. Yes you have economic interests to protect but at the core of it there is no social, cultural, political or historical reasons for actually staying. Had the economy not been considered 99% of the Scottish would have voted out. This union with Scotland is outdated, it needs to end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Owl of Minerva)
    A good thing imo. Scots should be ruled by a government they choose, not what "middle England" lumbers them with.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How far do you go with that, though? What if the city you live in votes one way but another party wins nationally, is that a good enough reason to claim independence?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    How far do you go with that, though? What if the city you live in votes one way but another party wins nationally, is that a good enough reason to claim independence?
    In the case of Scotland, yes. Because despite the union, Scotland is legally a country in its own right with its own distinct sense of history and culture.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 20, 2015
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.