• PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Are they though?

Are they actually unique, or are they just repeats of twenty other similar threads from the year before?

I'd be willing to bet that they aren't that unique in the slightest and the people posting them are just being lazy / don't know better.
    I think one of the issues that's being overlooked though, is that this would actually make the advertising more difficult to deal with, not easier.

If you look through a section, it's easy to see a 'Woo, buy kitchens here!' thread and get rid of it. It's considerably more difficult to clear it all out if people are replying to threads with advertisements instead of just starting their own thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    I think one of the issues that's being overlooked though, is that this would actually make the advertising more difficult to deal with, not easier.

If you look through a section, it's easy to see a 'Woo, buy kitchens here!' thread and get rid of it. It's considerably more difficult to clear it all out if people are replying to threads with advertisements instead of just starting their own thread.
    Would they though? I've never seen a spam bot reply to a thread.

Is that worry based on anything?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Would they though? I've never seen a spam bot reply to a thread.

Is that worry based on anything?
    We've had spammers reply to threads before, from what I remember, though I can't guarantee that they were spambots over just ordinary spammers - not that it makes a huge amount of difference, really.

It's based on other instances though - for example, stormfront accounts and the like - and how much easier it is to remove the content when they're making their own threads. Otherwise we have to come across it in actual threads.

ReputationRep:
    We've had spammers reply to threads before, from what I remember, though I can't guarantee that they were spambots over just ordinary spammers - not that it makes a huge amount of difference, really.

It's based on other instances though - for example, stormfront accounts and the like - and how much easier it is to remove the content when they're making their own threads. Otherwise we have to come across it in actual threads.
    Well considering I'm still often waiting days for reports to get looked at I don't think it's going to greatly hamper the current system...

But, fine, you don't want to suggest ideas. I get that. You just want to shoot all the other ideas down. Of course. It's a lot easier than coming up with your own ideas.

Everything mentioned in this thread would work to varying degrees, some are better than others, some would involve more work on behalf of the mod team.

It really comes down to whether or not TSR actually wants to fix the issue.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer

Need to bring back the send to coventry tool for identified spammers - hides all their posts from everyone else in a jiffy (and even better- they don't realise unless they try to view their posts after logging out/with a different account)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Well considering I'm still often waiting days for reports to get looked at I don't think it's going to greatly hamper the current system...

But, fine, you don't want to suggest ideas. I get that. You just want to shoot all the other ideas down. Of course. It's a lot easier than coming up with your own ideas.

Everything mentioned in this thread would work to varying degrees, some are better than others, some would involve more work on behalf of the mod team.

It really comes down to whether or not TSR actually wants to fix the issue.
    Right, but that's what I'm trying to say. If people are making threads, that's considerably less dependant on reports - that's easily picked up on mods skimming the section, whereas within threads, it's likely to mean waiting on the reports.

I've suggested a number of ideas, in the mod forums. I'm by no means wanting to shoot down all the ideas given, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to query how viable they are, or how much they'd actually help.

Believe me, we want to fix the issue as much as you do, given we're the ones having to deal with the spam. If there was a quick fix, god knows we'd have implemented it already :lol:

(Original post by PQ)
    Need to bring back the send to coventry tool for identified spammers - hides all their posts from everyone else in a jiffy (and even better- they don't realise unless they try to view their posts after logging out/with a different account)
    I believe we still have this tool set up, but I'll check

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HucktheForde)
    There has been waves of new accounts created just to spam threads.

I proposed TSR ban the creation of accounts using temporary email provider such as 10 min mail so this would make creation of new emails for registration purpose difficult. most big email companies like gmail and yahoo has many verification process that makes new email registration difficult.

eg

http://10minutemail.com/10MinuteMail/index.html
    Hiya,

It's a good idea. We do ban some of these already. It's tricky when lots of legitimate users also use them.

Jack

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Are IP bans out of the question?
    I was told in one of my reports that most days, dynamic IPs are used. IP bans won't help at all because some innocent person who follows the rules could end up with an IP ban, which was meant for a spammer - because the spammer used a dynamic IP address.

And anyway there are ways around IP bans, though I won't be posting what they are in case it breaks a TSR guideline.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Jack)
    Hiya,

It's a good idea. We do ban some of these already. It's tricky when lots of legitimate users also use them.

Jack
    I know of another forum that has banned Gmail signups as they were used by spammers. Unfortunately many people use Gmail accounts so that won't help!

You're right - stopping the spam is a very tricky task, without causing any negative side effects on legitimate users. :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spotify95)
    I was told in one of my reports that most days, dynamic IPs are used. IP bans won't help at all because some innocent person who follows the rules could end up with an IP ban, which was meant for a spammer - because the spammer used a dynamic IP address.

And anyway there are ways around IP bans, though I won't be posting what they are in case it breaks a TSR guideline.
    Do you use any software which blacklists known spam IPs, such as those used on Onion nodes?

ReputationRep:
    Do you use any software which blacklists known spam IPs, such as those used on Onion nodes?
    Tbh I wouldn't have a clue what TSR does - I don't work for TSR. You'll have to speak to the Community Team. Chances are they have got something in place to block spammers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spotify95)
    Tbh I wouldn't have a clue what TSR does - I don't work for TSR. You'll have to speak to the Community Team. Chances are they have got something in place to block spammers.
    I think the best way would be thread posting limits, or just more moderators but that is whole ****storm.

ReputationRep:
    I think the best way would be thread posting limits, or just more moderators but that is whole ****storm.
    There used to be more moderators but everything is now done within the CT - it used to be the mods/section leaders who did it all.

Perhaps what they should do is that the first 2 or 3 new threads that a new user makes has to be manually validate by the Community team - that way if it is spam, they just get banned without anyone being affected (and the thread declined).

ReputationRep:
    There are many different types of solutions to this problem.
    1. Send an email verification code/link to the nominated email address of the account creator. The account cannot be posted from until the email verification is completed. This is not what happens at the moment.
    2. There are certain calculations to determine spam-likely posters. As has been mentioned before, banning new accounts from creating threads would deter people seeking advice from gaining it (many new accounts come here to ask a question). What could be done is posting limit for the first few weeks an account is up; this limit could be developed on a sliding scale depending how well the account's posts are received (so if the account posts 15 times and it gains 25 reps, this would perhaps be better received than an account which posts 25 times and has 5 reps). This is not surefast because established users with 5+ gems sometimes rep trolls and spammers, but a posting limit would be helpful. However, the spammer would simply create another account, which would entail going through the email verification process again.
    You need to slow them down whilst causing the least impact on legitimate users.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    New members not being allowed to post a thread for x days after joining would fix it, no?

Allow them to post replies to existing threads, just not create their own.

Would also have the benefit of not having multiple threads asking the same questions - New users would actually go search for the answers.
    I would be out of a job if that happened. :unimpressed:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.