The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DiddyDec
For a start, it is impossible to murder animals by the very definition of the word.

Meat eaters who could not kill an animal in my books have zero standing on the subject of hunting. They are hypocrites. If they love animals so much they shouldn't eat them. Therefore they are selective animal lovers.

Hunting in a national park isn't much different from actual wild hunting, they are still huge expanses of land and it can still take days to track the animal. Just so you can get an understanding of the size of this park, it is about 500,000 hectares which is a quarter of the size of Wales.

The point of hunting is that it is fun. I'm sure that the money they spent on entering the park will be used to better the lives of other animals and it is people like these hunters who actually help fund conservation.

I am only guessing here but I'm sure the meat from this elephant will not be wasted whether to goes to feed humans or the animals in the park. So some good will have come from this hunt.

I hunt, I shoot and I once tried fishing but I sucked at it.

I doubt it, Africa is notoriously corrupt, the money will probably go into the pockets of whoever charged him thousands, and he was probably driven up to the animal (and at that size the elephant would be hard to miss,) everything was facilitated, all to probably get that glory picture in the end, doubt there was anything natural about the process. Also I don't see why owning a gun gives anyone the right to kill any animal (or person) rationalising it as fun is a poor justification. Yeah I do agree about meat eaters who selectively love animals, the same ones who rage about conditions of animals consumed in other countries, but don't acknowledge how their own meat is sourced, so ignorance is bliss I guess.
i guess the guy has a small dick...
yawn. let me begin:
to begin with i am 16, this means i live under my parents house and follow their rules.When i leave home i intend to be vegetarian but even now i hardly eat any meat at all. I can't remember the last time i ate any other meat rather than fish or chicken (yes battery farming i know, my parents buy free range but yes i know it is killed and stuff). Of course i think about the animals that die in this process hence why i am becoming vegetarian when go to uni. Don't patronise me like this please.
Your post is laughable. For starters your assumptions are ridicuolus this is not a 'fake post' pretending to feel compassion, i feel compassion for all animals and only highlighted this in particular as it was on BBC news and i think it is appaling that someone would take such joy out of killing another creature like this then take pictures to inflate their ego.
It's a pity he didn't get trampled by a herd of elephants.
(edited 8 years ago)
Ah, humanz...

We've done worse, lol.
You are quite unhinged and seem to have emotional issues.

EDIT: was on the thread about tax credits, saw the below and remembered this thread lol:

You seem like a lovely, mentally stable fella with no issues what so ever.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by DarkMagic
most of the meat people eat come from animals that are bred for that purpose.

I'm sure that makes the chickens feel a lot better about being killed :elefant:
Of course I can see why this is such an emotive topic for people but at the end of the day;

''In October 2013 it was discovered that poachers killed a large number of African elephants with cyanide after poisoning their waterhole. Two aerial surveys were carried to determine the extent of the deaths, and 19 carcasses were identified in the first survey and a further 84 carcasses in the second survey.''

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hwange_National_Park#Poaching_incidents

Zimbabwe is obviously an extremely poor country...how's Hwange National Park supposed to fund highly trained and professional game wardens, let alone give them good enough wages that they aren't easily tempted by bribes from the poachers?

It might sound brutal and cynical but if these animals weren't treated like a commodity they'd be treated like pests (a herd of elephants can do a hell of a lot of damage to poor farmers maize crop...that's probably the difference between his family scraping a living or starving to death).

Sure It'd be great if that came in the form of tourists shooting at them with cameras rather than rifles...but who really wants to visit Zimbabwe when there are plenty of other bits of Southern Africa where you (a least a little) less likely to get murdered?

So realistically it's the best of a bad situation?
Ok. If I raised my own pigs, gave them the best life ever and then slaughtered them in the most humane way possible and used every single part of them for something, would you consider me a cold blooded killer? Would you consider me the same as somebody who buys their pork from Tescos? Would you compare it to this elephant's situation?

Your problem should be with the meat industry. Not every meat eater supports it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CoolCavy
(yes battery farming i know, my parents buy free range but yes i know it is killed

Battery farming is illegal.
Trophy hunters are cowards. What I would pay to hunt them, now that would be fun picking them off one by one. Hopefully I live long enough to see that happen.
Original post by hellodave5
Ah, humanz...

We've done worse, lol.

But there is just no reason for it. It serves no purpose to hunt for sport. There is no economic, social, political, environmental or demographic benefit. The tourism industry has brought in ten times the amount hunting has.
I've shot before...rabbits...pheasants...pigeons

I can't believe you're seriously so irate over it...

but then again I can because nothing feels as satisfying as gratuitous self-righteousness...not just that you're morally superior to another person but their 'evil'...lol
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Gears265
But there is just no reason for it. It serves no purpose to hunt for sport. There is no economic, social, political, environmental or demographic benefit. The tourism industry has brought in ten times the amount hunting has.

I know mate. It's a big shame!
Original post by Hopple
If someone took on an elephant in hand to hand combat and won, I would be seriously impressed

Such a karl pilkington thing to say. Made me laugh. Well done.
Exactly 'live and let live' (no pun intended :biggrin:)
Original post by Triple-Sod
I've shot before...rabbits...pheasants...pigeons

I can't believe you're seriously so irate over it...

but then again I can because nothing feels as satisfying as gratuitous self-righteousness...not just that you're morally superior to another person but their 'evil'...lol

He is just your typical militant vegan. What gun have you got?
Original post by DarkMagic
I don't think its quite the same thing. I don't eat a lot of meat (mostly just chicken and mince) but most of the meat people eat come from animals that are bred for that purpose. I'm not trying to defend that, but I do think there is a difference between lifting a packet of pork chops from a shelf and cooking them, to actually shooting the pig yourself and enjoying it.

On the other hand, this guy has paid nearly £40,000 for the satisfaction of killing a defenceless animal. To me, that is completely sick. He will celebrate his 'huge accomplishment', boast about it and then he will move on and kill something else. He should be locked up.

The former is far worse than the latter in my view. (Providing the pig was eaten etc)
Original post by DiddyDec
He is just your typical militant vegan. What gun have you got?

Yeah it seems such a great deal huh?

1. Stop eating meat
2. You've now complete moral superiority over everyone who does and every right duty to lecture them at every given opportunity while feeling all smug and...superior.

Just my old BSA lighting at the minute mate, hoping to apply for my SGC and FAC when I get more settled :smile: .
I don't really care to be honest, I must be the anti-christ to you. I hunt, shoot and kill animals for fun. Not only that, I also eat meat and have even been known to farm it for others to eat it. I don't regret it and will continue.

You are a militant vegan.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Militant+Vegetarian

Latest

Trending

Trending