Turn on thread page Beta

Does anybody know if any famous non-religious believers - to religious conversions? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    ... the normal line of Islam and saying that Jesus was lifted to heaven by Allah and a doppelganger was put in his place and crucified.
    I know this is the wrong place to debate it, but can I just ask why??? What's the point of the crucifixion if not the fact that Jesus died to forgive our sins, and then rose again? It's like preparing to take an exam for years, and then when the exam day comes, getting someone else to sit it for you!

(Original post by Treblebee)
    I know this is the wrong place to debate it, but can I just ask why??? What's the point of the crucifixion if not the fact that Jesus died to forgive our sins, and then rose again? It's like preparing to take an exam for years, and then when the exam day comes, getting someone else to sit it for you!
    What you say has a rather Christian slant to it -- I don't know why. It's just what Islam preaches. My explanation for both the Christian and Muslim interpretation of the crucifixion would be that they're both made up. The reason for Jesus's crucifixion, as far as I see it, is that the government of the day didn't like what he was saying and doing. There's no other reason from a secular standpoint.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    What you say has a rather Christian slant to it -- I don't know why. It's just what Islam preaches. My explanation for both the Christian and Muslim interpretation of the crucifixion would be that they're both made up. The reason for Jesus's crucifixion, as far as I see it, is that the government of the day didn't like what he was saying and doing. There's no other reason from a secular standpoint.
    When you say that the government didn't like what he was doing, do you know why? The Pharisees (the religious experts of the day) asked question after question, and he out-answered them, even following it up with unanswerable questions to them. On the day he entered into Jerusalem, and thousands met him on the way, and called him "King of the Jews", the Pharisees were terrified that he would take their power from them. They said "Soon the whole world will follow him," which was a surprising close prediction. They had him killed, which did nothing but increase his number of followers. The High Priest and other religious officials knew that he was resurrected, but, afraid of the people, they sent out a message to the public saying that his body had been stolen.

Maybe that has a Christian slant, but that's unsurprising, given that I'm a Christian.
    I don't want to get aggressive, especially not on this thread (which was a very nice idea, btw), so don't feel pressured to reply, but if you want to have a debate, I'm sure we could do so elsewhere

(Original post by Treblebee)
    When you say that the government didn't like what he was doing, do you know why? The Pharisees (the religious experts of the day) asked question after question, and he out-answered them, even following it up with unanswerable questions to them. On the day he entered into Jerusalem, and thousands met him on the way, and called him "King of the Jews", the Pharisees were terrified that he would take their power from them. They said "Soon the whole world will follow him," which was a surprising close prediction. They had him killed, which did nothing but increase his number of followers. The High Priest and other religious officials knew that he was resurrected, but, afraid of the people, they sent out a message to the public saying that his body had been stolen.

Maybe that has a Christian slant, but that's unsurprising, given that I'm a Christian.
    I don't want to get aggressive, especially not on this thread (which was a very nice idea, btw), so don't feel pressured to reply, but if you want to have a debate, I'm sure we could do so elsewhere
    Yes, I'm aware of the insecurities of the religious and political establishment of the time. I just meant it in the sense that, as far as I see it, it was because of that, not some profound exercise in forgiving the sins of mankind.

I think it's best if we don't debate, because I doubt the outcome would be fruitful and, given the habits of the mods on this website, I would most likely get carded for some triviality. Have a nice day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scrappy-coco)
    Alister McGrath.

Anthony Flew (major atheist of 20th century but only converted to Deism, not Christianity. However he has gone new to say that the Resurrection is the best attested miracle in history and was close to pulling him to Christianity)

Lee Strobel

John Warwick Montgomery

Francis Collins

C.S Lewis

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There is an amazing back story to Lee Strobel's conversion, I would say from what I know that most non-Christians have a supernatural encounter when meeting God either through reading the bible, hearing some preaching (like the Alpha Course etc) or quite literally asking God to make himself know to them and then experiencing his presence but this guy's wife became a Christian so he decided to do some research....

http://www.washedred.com/content/?contentID=47
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Strobel

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 3, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.