Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by that bearded man)
    Q5. Greens - you support the right of individuals to have their own choice about the values that they hold. However, in communities where clear divides exist, where there are concerns about the inability to integrate, due to language, religion or personal choice. We have different communities co-existing, but not integrating. Is it not fair that people raise concerns on this, rather than simply saying "everyone is different?"
    we will support community canters and community building projects. At the end of the day we are all human and all want to make our lives better. If people refuse in intergrate then that is their choice. Not everyone has to be social and forcing people to be something they are not shouldn't be something the government seeks to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    we will support community canters and community building projects. At the end of the day we are all human and all want to make our lives better. If people refuse in intergrate then that is their choice. Not everyone has to be social and forcing people to be something they are not shouldn't be something the government seeks to do.
    But what happens when those who integrate progress in society, and those who refuse to based on choice fall behind? Won't the government then be just enriching a part of society, and not the whole of society as intended?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
    But what happens when those who integrate progress in society, and those who refuse to based on choice fall behind? Won't the government then be just enriching a part of society, and not the whole of society as intended?
    No because that is person choice. People have the right to be a recluse should they want to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    No because that is person choice. People have the right to be a recluse should they want to.
    Then won't they become an eternal burden to society, because they have not progressed along with society? Wouldn't this laissez-fairee immigration policy then result in a society which is continually being weakened?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
    Then won't they become an eternal burden to society, because they have not progressed along with society? Wouldn't this laissez-fairee immigration policy then result in a society which is continually being weakened?
    Ultimately there will always be more people who want to get down and work. Also people won't be entitled to benefits until they have lived here for 5 years or are an asylum seeker so no, society will benefit.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    We would focus on building on brownfield sites wherever possible but we accept that some building will have to be done on greenfield sites to cope with the soaring demand of houses.

I'm going to leave Q2 to Jarred. He'll answer it a lot better

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So you believe that there is need for over 1m new homes in towns and cities alone at the current time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Ultimately there will always be more people who want to get down and work. Also people won't be entitled to benefits until they have lived here for 5 years or are an asylum seeker so no, society will benefit.
    However having large amounts of immigrants enter the labour market is only going to supress wages. Is this what the green party wants?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Well it's common sense, having less houses on the market because people buy them to rent will force up house prices. It is simply supply and demand but also as I recall there is a lot of research into that which when I work out where to find it I will cite. And we will build out wards as well, so long as it blends into the rural area(underground houses will be looked upon more favourably for example).
    But if people are moving out of the rented sector by buying their house the demand also drops. And do you honestly believe that people, especially those escaping to rural areas, want to live in a cave?

I answered the question. It shouldn't be one or the other but both.
    You were asked who should lead the investment and just went off and said that the private sector should more easily be able to do it, and then gave irrelevant spiel, so the question was not answered, in fact, there was no mention in your answer of the state contributing at all.

if America wouldn't as you are suggesting then we might as well leave NATO but i belive that America would honour the treaty. Also if the country 'no longer exists' then what would be the point of launching trident? To get a small amount of vengeance?
    So because in the most extreme of wars the treaty would lie in tatters means that we should tear it into pieces now, as you should be well aware, there are non-nuclear wars, in those there would be little they could do to weasel out of providing support without destroying their international reputation, much like when Article 5 was invoked after 9/11. And that is the exact point of a nuclear deterrent, this is no longer the old days where once a nation was defeated the war was all but over, these are the days where the war is not over until the second strike, with the aggressors also wiped off the face of the earth.

i stated that graduates aren't more important then apprentices. And yes they are. Because if it wasn't for the low paid shelf stackers the highly paid office executives wouldn't be have a job. The economy is run by the everyday working person not the rich.
    So now the homeless are shelf stackers? Please go back and read the question again, and answer the one asked.

there is no British culture or British identity. Nothing that is uniquely British.
    So you're saying that somebody's culture and identity must be unique? You say yourself in your original answer that the customs of different parts of the UK are different and so there cannot, apparently, be a culture for the UK, but now you're throwing a uniqueness criterion in, which makes it collapse

geothermal energy provides Iceland with almost all of its energy. And it wouldn't because it's easier to lay a hydrogen pipeline under water then masses of electrical cables which could harm wildlife by changing local magnetic field lines. As far as I understand the hazards of wave power are low because there will always be waves it's just a case of someone hitting the waves barrages. The country has the capacity to go 100% renewable.
    Strikes me that the research hasn't been done if the EMF around an electrical cable is of such great concern, then why not the EMF produced by the wave stations? What of the more direct physical risks, much like wind turbines and birds, there is a lot of potential for marine life to be killed? And the unintended circumstances, what effect will it have on sediment transport and the water quality?

ReputationRep:
    UKIP sees capital increases as being key to the restoring Britain's hard power in the world which will be funded by an annual defence budget of 3% of GDP. A 3% of GDP defence budget provides the armed forces with an annual budgetary increase of £10bn; this will be enough to pay for the capital increases and the deployment increases. The figures below are open to change as new product enter the defence world, and the battlefield changes to become more high-tech, but the figures for the navy, air force, and army will make Britain the leading military power in Europe.

Naval increases:

Type 45s: 9
    GCS: 7
    Landing Platform Docks: 3
    Amphibious Assault Ships: 2
    Carriers: 1
    Astute-class: 7
    FAA: 100 F35s, 55 assorted helicopters

RAF increases:

Typhoons: 75 of assorted variants
    F35s: 100
    Transport aircraft: double A400Ms and C17s.
    Helicopters: 50% increase in Chinooks, and Wildcats.
    UAVs: 20

Army increases:

Helicopters: 50% increase in Wildcats, and Apaches.
    Soldiers: 20,000
    Challenger 3 designed with an expected order of 500.
    All vehicles lost in combat in Afghanistan will be replaced to prevent no decrease in the number of fighting vehicles since 2001.

Operational Increases:

Britain has 14 overseas territories with some of them rarely seeing anything British. To reaffirm Britain’s commitment to the overseas territories there will be an annual deployment of a task force to each overseas territory as a show of force, and to promote the United Kingdom. Gibraltar and the Falklands Islands will see an appropriate expansion of its infrastructure to allow it to accommodate any sized ship in the fleet, once this is complete there will be ships permanently in the regions based at the bases in the regions.

UKIP recognises the importance of the Commonwealth of Nation, we will improve military cooperation between the states by having more routine deployments to Commonwealth nations, and engaging in joint training opportunities to boost Britain's inter-operability with allies. On the approval of the Australian government, Britain will establish a permanent presence at a joint base in Australia to boost Britain’s Asia-Pacific influence, and provide an environment where British troops can be trained in preparation for combat taking place in extreme heat. Britain will also look to seek the authorisation of the Indian government to use a joint facility on the Arabian Sea coast of India for extended periods of time, allowing the military to have ships near the Middle East to assist in a potential crisis.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by United1892)
    However having large amounts of immigrants enter the labour market is only going to supress wages. Is this what the green party wants?
    Personally I belive that someone shouldn't not be allowed to live here just because of where they were born.
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    But if people are moving out of the rented sector by buying their house the demand also drops. And do you honestly believe that people, especially those escaping to rural areas, want to live in a cave?
    undergound housing is nothing like a cave. Also if the people buying are poorer then the prices will fall.

You were asked who should lead the investment and just went off and said that the private sector should more easily be able to do it, and then gave irrelevant spiel, so the question was not answered, in fact, there was no mention in your answer of the state contributing at all.
    I states that the government should invest in social progress which helps the private sector to grow

So because in the most extreme of wars the treaty would lie in tatters means that we should tear it into pieces now, as you should be well aware, there are non-nuclear wars, in those there would be little they could do to weasel out of providing support without destroying their international reputation, much like when Article 5 was invoked after 9/11. And that is the exact point of a nuclear deterrent, this is no longer the old days where once a nation was defeated the war was all but over, these are the days where the war is not over until the second strike, with the aggressors also wiped off the face of the earth.
    I was simply asking if that's what you were suggesting. And that's just petty. Why should be look to cause more pain and suffering out of petty vengeance?

So now the homeless are shelf stackers? Please go back and read the question again, and answer the one asked.
    i suggest you re-read what you said. I answered.

So you're saying that somebody's culture and identity must be unique? You say yourself in your original answer that the customs of different parts of the UK are different and so there cannot, apparently, be a culture for the UK, but now you're throwing a uniqueness criterion in, which makes it collapse
    im saying that there is no specific 'British culture' or 'British values' which exist and can be defined other then generic things.

Strikes me that the research hasn't been done if the EMF around an electrical cable is of such great concern, then why not the EMF produced by the wave stations? What of the more direct physical risks, much like wind turbines and birds, there is a lot of potential for marine life to be killed? And the unintended circumstances, what effect will it have on sediment transport and the water quality?
    you do understand that I'm not talking about a tidal barrage? Also This is much closer to shore and the effects would be as minimal as off-shore wind farms. I think you fail to grasp what I mean by wave power.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Personally I belive that someone shouldn't not be allowed to live here just because of where they were born.
    So you beleive in supressing wasges. So much for being a workers party.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    So you beleive in supressing wasges. So much for being a workers party.
    I belive in equality. I belive that no one person is better then another. That leads me to belive that anyone has the right to reside here as long as they put in. If people in the UK 'loose jobs' to immigrants it means that either the immigrants were more qualified and hard working or it was a job that Brits believed that they are too good for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I belive in equality. I belive that no one person is better then another. That leads me to belive that anyone has the right to reside here as long as they put in. If people in the UK 'loose jobs' to immigrants it means that either the immigrants were more qualified and hard working or it was a job that Brits believed that they are too good for.
    It's not that they lose jobs it's that there being more workers leads to wages for everyone going down. This isn't even good for immigrant workers.

Also your attitude stinks of snobery and is exactly the reason the greens can never be the party of the workers.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    It's not that they lose jobs it's that there being more workers leads to wages for everyone going down. This isn't even good for immigrant workers.

Also your attitude stinks of snobery and is exactly the reason the greens can never be the party of the workers.
    I'm a snob for believing that everyone is equal? Gosh that's a new one.

Ans that's why we have a minimum wage...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    undergound housing is nothing like a cave. Also if the people buying are poorer then the prices will fall.
    Do you really think that many people would actually want to live in underground housing, this is beyond a poor poll replied to by 100 eco nuts saying that 100% of the population would like it.

I states that the government should invest in social progress which helps the private sector to grow
    I see, an unrelated vagueness.

I was simply asking if that's what you were suggesting. And that's just petty. Why should be look to cause more pain and suffering out of petty vengeance?
    It really is not petty it is the whole principle behind having a standing army, it's a principle that actually carries nicely into civilian life, as I said to somebody on here a bit back, when was the last time you heard of a 20 something, tall, well built, sober male being mugged in this country? And I was suggesting that come nuclear war, Article 5 means absolutely nothing, in nuclear war upholding article 5 would be self destructive, but to withdraw from NATO on this basis would suggest a naive belief that there are only two states, peace and DEFCON 1 (putting aside that we don't use DEFCON).

i suggest you re-read what you said. I answered.
    I asked for the homeless vs the employed, not the employed vs the employed.

im saying that there is no specific 'British culture' or 'British values' which exist and can be defined other then generic things.
    Yet you seem to suggest that such statements are not true if you look at specific areas, and why should it be that cultures and values must have a uniqueness property to them?

you do understand that I'm not talking about a tidal barrage? Also This is much closer to shore and the effects would be as minimal as off-shore wind farms. I think you fail to grasp what I mean by wave power.
    I am well aware, I have the two things open in two separate tabs, but I return to the point, you are concerned about running a high current electrical cable , which if along the ocean floor will mostly be in the 2000m depth range, due to the EMF in a low life zone, whilst on the other hand you are perfectly happy to put in wave power plants in the regions that are heavily inhabited by marine life to saturate that water with EMF? Is this not somewhat of a funny set of priorities, to look after the few more so than the many?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    So you believe in a fundamental falsehood?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Do you really think that many people would actually want to live in underground housing, this is beyond a poor poll replied to by 100 eco nuts saying that 100% of the population would like it.
    yes I do, houses built into hill sides are popular for example. I belive that the future is underground cities.

It really is not petty it is the whole principle behind having a standing army, it's a principle that actually carries nicely into civilian life, as I said to somebody on here a bit back, when was the last time you heard of a 20 something, tall, well built, sober male being mugged in this country? And I was suggesting that come nuclear war, Article 5 means absolutely nothing, in nuclear war upholding article 5 would be self destructive, but to withdraw from NATO on this basis would suggest a naive belief that there are only two states, peace and DEFCON 1 (putting aside that we don't use DEFCON).
    im saying that trident is petty and useless nit the army...

I asked for the homeless vs the employed, not the employed vs the employed.
    you also asked about shelf stackers and executives.

Yet you seem to suggest that such statements are not true if you look at specific areas, and why should it be that cultures and values must have a uniqueness property to them?
    because for culture to be identifiable it must be unique.

I am well aware, I have the two things open in two separate tabs, but I return to the point, you are concerned about running a high current electrical cable , which if along the ocean floor will mostly be in the 2000m depth range, due to the EMF in a low life zone, whilst on the other hand you are perfectly happy to put in wave power plants in the regions that are heavily inhabited by marine life to saturate that water with EMF? Is this not somewhat of a funny set of priorities, to look after the few more so than the many?
    we don't actually know what life it as the bottom of the ocean... And also species at the surface use the earths magnetic field less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I'm a snob for believing that everyone is equal? Gosh that's a new one.

Ans that's why we have a minimum wage...
    no for the "well maybe they should just be better workers" attitude.

That's no good for people who originally earnt more than the minimum wage.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    no for the "well maybe they should just be better workers" attitude.

That's no good for people who originally earnt more than the minimum wage.
    Am I wrong?

It's impossible for everyone to win. Should we send others away just because it might slightly hurt us. We have a consumerist culture and all expect to live in the lap of luxury. That's fundamentally wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Am I wrong?

It's impossible for everyone to win. Should we send others away just because it might slightly hurt us. We have a consumerist culture and all expect to live in the lap of luxury. That's fundamentally wrong
    Yes

There's a difference between open door immigration and throwing people away.

So you don't support raising the minimum wage (because not everyone deserves luxury)?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 19, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.