Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizmoo0721)
    Thank you for a constructive reply! I am trying to get into a routine, spending the majority of my day in the city and then getting a job and relaxing at the weekend. I have applied for a job 3 days a week, 4am-8am, which will be tiring but will fit into my timetable.
    I have brought a few books that I am going to read on the trains
    Maybe if I get into a routine, then my grades will improve too.

Thank you
    Best of luck with it. Often the trickiest part is finding that routine, not necessarily the work itself, be it academic or paid work - just finding that balance of getting all the academic work you need done, with time for some relaxation and earning built in. I've no doubt it's tough with your commute, but you have to get on top of that by being super-organised, and being determined to get the most out of all the hours in the day. It's definitely doable!

ReputationRep:
    So you are telling me your parents earn at least half a MILLION a year?? I'm not saying I don't believe but I just find it very hard to believe that they are in the top 0.1% of earners in the UK (if not the world!) and don't even give you the slightest bit of money. Getting weekly or monthly oyster card credit is so much cheaper, if not, weekly travel cards are also a lot cheaper as well. Weekly oyster card is around £30. Saving you £20 per week. This gives you £1840 for the year instead!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGuy1)
    So you are telling me your parents earn at least half a MILLION a year?? I'm not saying I don't believe but I just find it very hard to believe that they are in the top 0.1% of earners in the UK (if not the world!) and don't even give you the slightest bit of money. Getting weekly or monthly oyster card credit is so much cheaper, if not, weekly travel cards are also a lot cheaper as well. Weekly oyster card is around £30. Saving you £20 per week. This gives you £1840 for the year instead!
    No, they do not earn that much, but that is how much a qualified for? is this wrong then?
    Monthly is £196, weekly is £48, how can i get a £30 travel card?

ReputationRep:
    I start at 11:00 most days, but have to leave 2 hours before. I'd get home at 7:00pm. The sports club is the only sports I do, and the only down/ enjoyment I get through the week. I think I want to carry on with it.
    When am i actually meant to do my work, catch up on readings?
    Work while you travel, or get up early to do it. You can do whatever you like but don't moan about having no money if you're not prepared to make sacrifices to get some money. There is always a solution but you and others don't want to hear that having money actually means you have to put some effort in to get it.

ReputationRep:
    I cannot deal with them anymore, what should I do?
    Kill 'em :lockstock:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    Work while you travel, or get up early to do it. You can do whatever you like but don't moan about having no money if you're not prepared to make sacrifices to get some money. There is always a solution but you and others don't want to hear that having money actually means you have to put some effort in to get it.
    I've happy to put in the effort to earn it, but ultimately, my studies come first. I understand the solution is to get a job, but I feel like my parents should help me out a bit more, they help my sisters out, pay for her travel, food and give her money, but not me.

ReputationRep:
    ... but I feel like my parents should help me out a bit more, they help my sisters out, pay for her travel, food and give her money, but not me.
    Morally you're right, but you have no way of changing it. There is no way to oblige your parents to treat you and your sister equally. It isn't fair but there's nothing you can do about it, so you need to move past it. The situation is as it is. Now you have to learn how to deal with it. It sounds odd, but your peace of mind will increase if you just accept things the way they are. You can't change the situation, but you can change your attitude to your situation.

You can waste resources constantly reminding yourself that life is unfair, or you can use it as the impetus to show that you can succeed on your own terms. As John Lydon said, "Anger is an energy". Use it. Get even by succeeding without their help.

ReputationRep:
    No, they do not earn that much, but that is how much a qualified for? is this wrong then?
    Monthly is £196, weekly is £48, how can i get a £30 travel card?
    Yeah I checked, I would ask to get it rechecked because I know quite a few rich people and they have all received a minimum of £3700. However it might be because you live with your parents but even so I would get it rechecked by Student Finance. And just type in weekly oyster cards on google and find out, I'm pretty sure you can get it weekly at the station

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGuy1)
    Yeah I checked, I would ask to get it rechecked because I know quite a few rich people and they have all received a minimum of £3700. However it might be because you live with your parents but even so I would get it rechecked by Student Finance. And just type in weekly oyster cards on google and find out, I'm pretty sure you can get it weekly at the station
    Thanks, I'll check out the weekly travel cards!
    I think it is because I'm living with my parents that the support is so low

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gutenberg)
    Firstly, I am sorry that you're feeling so frustrated. Secondly, you need to take things into your own hands if anything is to change. As Klix said, making sure your own room is neat & clean will help maintain your sanity. Is there nothing you can cook yourself from what is available in the house that would be healthier, for example, even if you can't afford or don't want to shop for yourself.

What course do you do? Honestly unless it's one of just a handful of courses, I can't see how you aren't able to fit a part-time job around your studies. I myself worked all through my degree, as did friends studying engineering, science, etc. You need to be organised with work, but it's more than doable.
    Could you look into getting a part-time job close to your university that means you could work weekday evenings, and save yourself the commute for a weekend job? Or find something close to home and work during the weekend? Lots of shops are currently looking for Christmas staff at the moment, that could be somewhere to start, and would give you a wodge of cash for working when you don't have uni anyway? Because from reading your post, it seems as if the only way to improve things for yourself is to start earning your own money, if your parents won't spend it on you.
    Here here! OP look into work such as tutoring or cleaning. It's the simple things that pay acceptably and without nonsense amount of stress.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by honestly)
    Here here! OP look into work such as tutoring or cleaning. It's the simple things that pay acceptably and without nonsense amount of stress.
    I know retail work gets a lot of flack (and I wouldn't ever want to do it fulltime) but for a student I think it's generally great. You don't generally have the horribly unsociable hours of bar/nightclub work, there are some retailers who pay decently, and you don't have to worry or think about it once your shift is over. With my shop job, I arrived, did my best while there and switched my brain off for a bit, but once I left I didn't have to think about it until the next week, and then I got paid at the end of every month

ReputationRep:
    Why did you pick a London uni if you can't afford to live there?

Have you thought about transferring to another uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amigafan2003)
    Why did you pick a London uni if you can't afford to live there?

Have you thought about transferring to another uni?
    It was my insurance choice.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    Just get yourself a job - by that I mean try and apply for one as best you can. Im in financial ruin and if you are desperately struggling, I suggest an overdraft to get you buy.

PS: your parents sounds like right k^obs!

ReputationRep:
    I only get the £2,980
    It costs be £50 a week to travel.
    £50 x 38weeks = £1,900
    Then I only have £1000 (£83 per month) left for clothes, gym membership, food or anything else I would need.
    Why do you need new clothes? You only need to buy them once and they last forever. Also I don't have gym membership either I work out on my own.

ReputationRep:
    When am i actually meant to do my work, catch up on readings?
    Whilst commuting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    Why do you need new clothes? You only need to buy them once and they last forever. Also I don't have gym membership either I work out on my own.
    I only have summer T-shirts, I need some warm clothes, a coat? I have one pair of jeans?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scotttb)
    Whilst commuting?
    Have you tried writing an essay on a train before, it's not as easy as you think

ReputationRep:
    I only have summer T-shirts, I need some warm clothes, a coat? I have one pair of jeans?
    What have you been wearing all your life? Like every other winter you only had summer clothes? lol

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.