Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Sorry I didn't know where to put this but I need help asap watch

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm is this new job anywhere near your old job?

ReputationRep:
    If your Mum mentioned where you worked - your new employer will expect a reference from them

ReputationRep:
    Deleted

ReputationRep:
    Deleted

ReputationRep:
    Is this a menial job - I mean like a simple job where they will employ anyone and people come and go and not keep it long.
    Or is it a one with responsibility? A one you could make a career?
    If it a kind of temp/part time/only given to teens cos no one else wants it ... then they may not be bothered who gives you a reference BUT they usually ask for your previous employer.

If pushed you could say you would rather not use them as you resigned but after being there 2 1/2 years they may write to them

ReputationRep:
    Deleted

ReputationRep:
    Normally if you've held down a 'job' - that then becomes part of your employment history and an employer will expect a reference from them.
    It's only cos your Mum has mentioned them that you're now in a bit of a pickle cos you weren't going to mention your old employer.
    It's difficult to tell how your new employer might handle this.
    If they say they want one from your old employer you could say you didn't get along with them and would rather not use them as you expect them not to be positive.
    But as your mum has revealed they are part of your employment history - it may be company policy to contact them.
    Don't put the job that dismissed you as your last employer - put your last two voluntary places, as a new employer normally want the 'last two' places you worked.
    Good luck and let me know how it goes

ReputationRep:
    Deleted

ReputationRep:
    I really hope it has helped
    If all else fails - and they find out the truth I encourage you to burst into tears, it can work wonders. Say you were foolish and don't know why you stole the things.
    If they say you lied to them just say you panicked - plus more tears.
    End by saying you just want another chance to show you are a good person.

Best wishes

ReputationRep:
    And OP remember that you've been foolish and you recognise that you have, and that a bit of stolen make up is not the same in an employers eyes as cash lifted from the till. I think you've learned your lesson.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saint Etienne)
    Normally if you've held down a 'job' - that then becomes part of your employment history and an employer will expect a reference from them.
    It's only cos your Mum has mentioned them that you're now in a bit of a pickle cos you weren't going to mention your old employer.
    It's difficult to tell how your new employer might handle this.
    If they say they want one from your old employer you could say you didn't get along with them and would rather not use them as you expect them not to be positive.
    But as your mum has revealed they are part of your employment history - it may be company policy to contact them.
    Don't put the job that dismissed you as your last employer - put your last two voluntary places, as a new employer normally want the 'last two' places you worked.
    Good luck and let me know how it goes
    Yes, I think this is good advice. Although they may well still want to contact your previous employer because it's relevant experience, unless you worked in a charity shop or something as your voluntary work. You may also find that you have issues in the future, because some employers will require you to provide your entire job history so I think next time it is better to just be honest and show that you have learnt from your mistakes and it hasn't happened since. You don't really want an employer to find out you've lied because you could be dismissed for that.

ReputationRep:
    Can I just counter that
    Employers have to justify everything they do
    They can pick and choose at will and anything can be used either not to employ you OR get rid of you.
    If you choose to be completely honest in every new job then this mistake you made at 18 will persecute you forever.
    Don't tell anyone - honesty in this case is definitely NOT the best policy.
    Employers are heartless and you will be forever shooting yourself in the foot. Don't tell anyone, ok.

It's in your interest to be careful here
    How long have you been out of work - a few weeks? You could easily say you left you one job to go to the next, no one is going to check on a few weeks difference - just merge those dates.

Seriously - be wise - be careful - do your homework and resign this terrible mistake to the past

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saint Etienne)
    Can I just counter that
    Employers have to justify everything they do
    They can pick and choose at will and anything can be used either not to employ you OR get rid of you.
    If you choose to be completely honest in every new job then this mistake you made at 18 will persecute you forever.
    Don't tell anyone - honesty in this case is definitely NOT the best policy.
    Employers are heartless and you will be forever shooting yourself in the foot. Don't tell anyone, ok.

It's in your interest to be careful here
    How long have you been out of work - a few weeks? You could easily say you left you one job to go to the next, no one is going to check on a few weeks difference - just merge those dates.

Seriously - be wise - be careful - do your homework and resign this terrible mistake to the past
    In this situation, I agree with you. The employer is pretty unlikely to contact the last employer if you don't put them down as a reference, especially as OP's mum is vouching for them. However, OP should be aware that this may be an issue in the future. I have applied for jobs in finance and the civil service that have required background checks and they can find out almost anything about you if they really want to. So if you did happen to apply for a job that required a background check, it is never a good idea to lie: they will find out and you will be dismissed, then you will have to explain 2 dismissals to future employers. Stealing some make up is really not as bad lying about a dismissal.
    If you're working in retail, hospitality etc where they don't need to know so much about you, then by all means don't bring up this job but it the above is poor advice for anything else.

ReputationRep:
    I can see where you're coming from however ...
    As the Police were not involved I doubt employers in years to come are gonna query an 18yr old leaving one job in a shop to go to another job in a shop.
    If I were you I would definitely say I left one to go to the other.
    Why did you resign? Cos you hated it and another was available.
    I can't see anyone, involved in an average job application, wanting to search back into such things.
    I can see why its better not to lie, who wants to be looking over their shoulder?
    But if you start shouting about it to anyone who'll listen it can only hold you back in the end.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, if you don't have a criminal record you can largely be sure that you will be okay.

ReputationRep:
    Deleted

ReputationRep:
    Deleted

ReputationRep:
    So the waitressing job took you on without references?
    Are they now asking for them??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annagaga)
    Hi all, back with another little question

I recently go my P45 in the post, I need to give a copy to my new employer, (I've just started a new waitressing job, it's going well so far)
    Do you think there will be any questions about my previously employer, the one I was dismissed from? I need to start giving all th official paper work so I can get paid asap

Thanks for any responses
    Have you already told them you've got a P45? If not, don't give it in and don't tell them about your previous job. If they find out and get a reference you could be sacked for lying. You don't NEED a P45 - it's just to determine your tax code, which HMRC can confirm anyway. I have started jobs previously when I couldn't find my P45 or lost it, they usually ask you to complete a form instead.

ReputationRep:
    Deleted

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.