Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chantalc)
    and I hate it when people look at us and ask if we're identical, when we're clearly not. My sister is short, long black hair and has darker eyes and skin tone whereas I'm a lot taller, long browny curly hair and hazel eyes and so much paler..ughh

I feel for you. Some people will automatically think that twins are the same gender and look exactly the same. I've met some people who at first did not believe that me and my brother were twins because we were two different genders. It's just ignorance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samina_ay)
    Sounds sad tbh :/ don't let it bring you down
    I try not to but it really hit me hard around my GCSE results day. The first thing that came out of people's mouths were "how did your twin do?", they didn't even inquire of my own results. Then they compared us-this really broke into our relationship as twins.
    I didn't realise until then how much everybody compared us-teachers and students alike. Afterwards, it came more apparent to me, but I try my best to ignore it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eigo-Jin)
    I try not to but it really hit me hard around my GCSE results day. The first thing that came out of people's mouths were "how did your twin do?", they didn't even inquire of my own results. Then they compared us-this really broke into our relationship as twins.
    I didn't realise until then how much everybody compared us-teachers and students alike. Afterwards, it came more apparent to me, but I try my best to ignore it.
    That is sad, yeah do ignore it. You shouldn't be compared tbh, because you are two different individuals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XcitingStuart)
    I've noticed, with twins, people erode their individualism and make the twins "an item", also incomplete without their other.

Which probably creates the competitiveness-who can be noticed more, to stand out and be more of an individual.

I'm a twinless twin so count your chickens

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aamirac)
    Yes! Literally like this all the time. Doesn't help if you are Asian either.
    Sad times eh

ReputationRep:
    Im a twin (non identical, both girls)
    it doesnt feel that way to me

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes it just feels like my life is one big competition.
    I love my twin, but everything to him is just a competition-getting the best grades, having the most money, being the most successful. It just gets tiresome time to time.
    Similar experiences? comments, anyone?
    I am like this to my twin sister :-)

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes it just feels like my life is one big competition.
    I love my twin, but everything to him is just a competition-getting the best grades, having the most money, being the most successful. It just gets tiresome time to time.
    Similar experiences? comments, anyone?
    Life has always been a competition - we've always tried to go one step further than the other, even though we're polar opposites. Going to different secondary schools was a huge relief though.

The worst thing about it is being referred to as one entity - I'm not just "the quiet/clever/socially awkward one" - I am a person of my own. Seeing other twins identified like this frustrates me so much because I know how bad it makes that person feel. Every time I tell people to stop doing it all I hear is "but they're basically the same anyway" - how about you just get to know them, then you'll see they're not!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by panda14)
    Life has always been a competition - we've always tried to go one step further than the other, even though we're polar opposites. Going to different secondary schools was a huge relief though.

The worst thing about it is being referred to as one entity - I'm not just "the quiet/clever/socially awkward one" - I am a person of my own. Seeing other twins identified like this frustrates me so much because I know how bad it makes that person feel. Every time I tell people to stop doing it all I hear is "but they're basically the same anyway" - how about you just get to know them, then you'll see they're not!!!
    It's ignorance. Oh wow, two people born on the same day that may look similar? They might as well be one person. This is really infuriating, I agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    I am like this to my twin sister :-)
    How do you feel about it? A good thing? A bad thing? Perhaps a mixture of both?

ReputationRep:
    How do you feel about it? A good thing? A bad thing? Perhaps a mixture of both?
    I think it's a good thing and is all part of character development.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to sound like a nutcase but have you ever shared a dream/nightmare with your twin? Anyone?

No. I am a female, he's male. I forget the name of these kind of twins...
    Fraternal.

I can imagine it must be very tough for you. My sister and her twin brother don't have that kind of problem, though, as they have entirely separate lives now.

(Original post by Zargabaath)
    :eek: 4 siblings?! You're a stronger man than I, for sure. I have have a younger sister and even that gets crazy at times.
    That's all? I'm the sixth of seven :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I am a twin, and it is tiresome. Its annoying how people I have known for like 6 years can still get my name wrong, and every time they do its my fault. Also, at every single parents evening some teacher compares my progress with his, be it better or worse. And on another note, whenever any of my brother's classmates are looking for him they always come straight to me and say "Where is your brother?" or something similar. I know just as much as they do, but they assume I have some sort of psychic connection to him and I must know his whereabouts 24/7. And no, it won't be "funny to switch classes with him and see how long it takes people to notice", because my friends will notice instantly.

Rant over. Good day sir.

ReputationRep:
    Attachments Pending Approval
  1. File Type: jpg sq8kg.jpg (52.2 KB)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeaSquab)
    I am a twin, and it is tiresome. Its annoying how people I have known for like 6 years can still get my name wrong, and every time they do its my fault. Also, at every single parents evening some teacher compares my progress with his, be it better or worse. And on another note, whenever any of my brother's classmates are looking for him they always come straight to me and say "Where is your brother?" or something similar. I know just as much as they do, but they assume I have some sort of psychic connection to him and I must know his whereabouts 24/7. And no, it won't be "funny to switch classes with him and see how long it takes people to notice", because my friends will notice instantly.

Rant over. Good day sir.
    Ugh, I feel ya. I think it's unprofessional for teachers to compare results but, suddenly, it's ok just because you're twins. Which damages the relationship somewhat.

Yeah, people will always have stereotypes of twins, so it's best to ignore the whole "twin connection" thing before it makes your head explode.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by godivaontherocks)
    I'm going to sound like a nutcase but have you ever shared a dream/nightmare with your twin? Anyone?
    Not that I'm aware of. Although my mother did say that me and my brother shared a "language" when we were very young-which is called cryptophasia. You should look it up, it's very interesting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    That's all? I'm the sixth of seven :rofl:
    I'm the second of eight. I think i win

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 18, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.