Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    It's awesome during Christmas. I really want to go to mass this year
    As i have gotten older i actually tune in to the bbc for half an hour because I like a lot of xmas hymns / songs but i dont think i would ever go back to church for the full night

ReputationRep:
    Amen brother
    ramen sister

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illiberal Liberal)
    No.

I've been a few times, but only to volunteer etc. I like the architecture and the community feel, though.
    Sentiments echoed by most of the nation who no longer believe, but will not rid themselves of the Church.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tourminator)
    Not that I go myself, but why do you have the sudden change to go more often?
    I love being in a church and wanting to get closer to God

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by william walker)
    Sentiments echoed by most of the nation who no longer believe, but will not rid themselves of the Church.
    ??

I'm an atheist and have never been religious (nor have any of my immediate family).

PS. Church attendance in the UK is at all-time lows.

ReputationRep:
    I love being in a church and wanting to get closer to God
    Cool Story
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Been to a few services and stuff like remembrance day. But those are mainly weddings, or done through Army Cadets. Ah well, I'm not really religious anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illiberal Liberal)
    ??

I'm an atheist and have never been religious (nor have any of my immediate family).

PS. Church attendance in the UK is at all-time lows.
    That is what I am saying. You patronise the Church. Oh it looks nice and does good charity work, but I will not allow myself to listen to its teaching or give it the power to empress that beauty and charity within peoples lives. You just use the Church as something it was never meant to be. You are better off just getting rid of it and replacing it something that was meant for the purpose you use the Church for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Been to a few services and stuff like remembrance day. But those are mainly weddings, or done through Army Cadets. Ah well, I'm not really religious anyway.
    I get incensed by this sort of thing. You just use the Church. Get rid of it or believe in it.

ReputationRep:
    Cool Story
    Yeah it is coolest story of all.

ReputationRep:
    Every Sunday
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I get incensed by this sort of thing. You just use the Church. Get rid of it or believe in it.
    Technically speaking, I'm not using the church; I just get dragged along to events. Unless I'm admiring the architecture and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it is coolest story of all.
    Haha not as cool as the fact that both us are virgins!

ReputationRep:
    Like on weekends and especially Christmas and on Easter or any other Christian celebration/holiday? If so do you go to a particular church?

I've been slacking but would love to go on a regular basis myself.
    Hello.

I'm an ex-Muslim (I've abandoned Religion actually) but I've always wanted to experience a Church Service. Could you please explain what i'm supposed to do? Like do I just walk in and sit wherever and is there any particular conduct I should respect or adhere to?

ReputationRep:
    I used to go to church three times a week, although now I only go twice or even once.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Technically speaking, I'm not using the church; I just get dragged along to events. Unless I'm admiring the architecture and stuff.
    Yet you don't want to maintain the belief which created that architecture and stuff. This is my point.

ReputationRep:
    Haha not as cool as the fact that both us are virgins!
    Whatever.

ReputationRep:
    That is what I am saying. You patronise the Church. Oh it looks nice and does good charity work, but I will not allow myself to listen to its teaching or give it the power to empress that beauty and charity within peoples lives.
    Lol. I can recognise the beauty of a building without having to condone or agree with the teachings/beliefs it symbolises/propagates.

As for your latter 'point', it's not my fault most people don't go to Church anymore. That's a problem for your religion, perhaps.

ReputationRep:
    Whatever.
    What did I do wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PPF)
    Hello.

I'm an ex-Muslim (I've abandoned Religion actually) but I've always wanted to experience a Church Service. Could you please explain what i'm supposed to do? Like do I just walk in and sit wherever and is there any particular conduct I should respect or adhere to?
    Anyone is welcome. I really want to go to the Coptic Christian church near my house in Kensington. I will probably cover my hair when I go as I'm from an orthodox Christian background

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 20, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.