The Student Room Group

Teachers wont give me my predicted grades!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by returnmigrant
IF a course is in Adjustment (not all will be, especially A grade courses) then predictions are irrelevant, they will only be interested in achieved grades.

But - do you really want to go a Uni you havn't seen, have booked no accommodation at and have that panicky ring-round to grab a place? When you could wait 12 months and do it calmly with a bit more sensible reflection? Going to Uni is not a race.

i'd rather have a more organised uni choice but i can't help what my teachers are predicting me so i don't have a choice so i'll have to do adjustments last minute since i want to go to uni as fast as i can but i also want to go to a relatively good uni too. there is no point in me doing a gap year i've waited long enough to be able to go to uni i wouldnt want to post pone it
Reply 21
But - will you actually GET an A grade in August?

If you don't then the entire argument was a total waste of time wasn't it.

My g you need to know the truth. This was last year. And yes i did get my A in maths so no it was not a waste of time.
Original post by Sayless
but i can't help what my teachers are predicting me so i don't have a choice ..........

Yes, YOU can 'help it' .. Their predictions are based on your work/results so far.
Stop blaming your teachers and start taking responsibility for your own behaviour.

Btw, RG, 'top grades' etc does not = 'better course' or 'better Uni'.
Yes, YOU can. Their predictions are based on your work/results so far.
Stop blaming your teachers and start taking responsibility for your own behaviour.

Btw, RG, 'top grades' etc does not = 'better course' or 'better Uni'.

No they are based on my last years as results, whatever i do now doesnt matter to change them, im revising constantly now but it doesnt matter anyway since i have low predicted grades.
yeah but they have higher graduate prospects and more business links so its better to go to them since they look better to employers
Original post by Sayless
its better to go to them since they look better to employers

No they don't.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-34384668
Original post by nayana71
But it is possible, I know quite a few people who got predicted very good grades with poor AS grades and still got accepted, My sister was predicted AAB with average AS grades and she got onto a course for AAB! with BCCD! She had an interview and she really impresses them ( the head of her department even asked for her email) so it depends on the applicant, their personal statement/interview etc. so I think I do stand a chance, even if I apply to just one university with ABB

Nobody said it wasn't possible. Someone even suggested clearing/adjustment if you do happen to achieve those grades. It is unrealistic on the basis of your AS and predicted grades. Just because your sister was accepted, doesn't mean you will. Several factors come into play such as the ones you've mentioned as well as how popular the course is. I wouldn't rely on others peoples success stories tbh. You can apply to whichever uni you want, but I'd highly suggest you play it safe and apply for unis with lowered entry requirements that mirror your predicted. That's the best way to ensure you receive offers, e.g one uni at BCC, another at BBB and the majority at BBC. Even if you were able to convince your teacher to give you your desired predicted grades, you also have to remember that the unis you apply to will see your AS grades, so they can choose to reject you on the basis that they think the grades you've been predicted have been inflated too much. If you do happen to achieve ABB or above, adjustment would be perfect!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 26
Is adjustment where you get higher than your predicted grades or is that clearing?
Is adjustment where you get higher than your predicted grades or is that clearing?

Your predicted grades are not considered for adjustment.

You can apply for adjustment if you do better than the firm offer you are holding. Examples would be:

- offer BBB - achieve AAC - adjustment not permitted
- offer BBB - achieve ABB - adjustment permitted
- offer 280 points including B in Biology - achieve 300 points with C in Biology - adjustment not permitted

For adjustment you must meet every part of your offer, and exceed it in some part.

You then need to find a course with your achieved grades that is not already full; the firm offer is kept open for you for about 5 days (maximum 5 calendar days between the time that your firm offer becomes unconditional and 31 August) while you sort out an adjustment place.

You then need to sort out accommodation. .
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 28
Yo I was at the same position as you last year. I had got BBCD at AS, only for them to predict me BDE after my performance in my first string of mock exams. With a little one-to-one sit down with my subject teachers explaining what I will try to achieve in the coming months leading to exams in order to sit up, focus more and mess about less, I managed to get my predicted up to BBB, picking up offers from ABB courses from Universities such as UEA, Kent & Leicester.

Just explain to them in a nice but passionate manner that you aspire to go to a Uni asking for ABB and would go out of your comfort zone in order to achieve this goal. But at the same time actually take college seriously after (something I didn't and consequently ended up at Essex), because if they were to leave your grades as they were and it turned out you got something like AAB, you can still go through adjustment and apply for the specific courses at the ABB unis.
Reply 29
Original post by Dech
Yo I was at the same position as you last year. I had got BBCD at AS, only for them to predict me BDE after my performance in my first string of mock exams. With a little one-to-one sit down with my subject teachers explaining what I will try to achieve in the coming months leading to exams in order to sit up, focus more and mess about less, I managed to get my predicted up to BBB, picking up offers from ABB courses from Universities such as UEA, Kent & Leicester.

Just explain to them in a nice but passionate manner that you aspire to go to a Uni asking for ABB and would go out of your comfort zone in order to achieve this goal. But at the same time actually take college seriously after (something I didn't and consequently ended up at Essex), because if they were to leave your grades as they were and it turned out you got something like AAB, you can still go through adjustment and apply for the specific courses at the ABB unis.

Thanks, i think i can get one of my teachers to predict me at least one A but my only worry is my C prediction in economics which i think is really hard! i was like a mark into a C for AS so i doubt he'll predict me anything higher... predictions of ABC aren't that bad when applying to ABB unis right?
Thanks, i think i can get one of my teachers to predict me at least one A but my only worry is my C prediction in economics which i think is really hard! i was like a mark into a C for AS so i doubt he'll predict me anything higher... predictions of ABC aren't that bad when applying to ABB unis right?

If you got a C in AS and he is predicting you a C you could try and get it up to a B by speaking to him providing evidence of independent work, my prediction is ABC currently but trying to get the C moved up to a B by by providing evidence of independant work
Original post by Sayless
It does for me i just want to go to uni and live my life independently and freely as fast as i can. I'll have a look further into adjustment to find out what courses they actually offer

Good thinking, not. If you just want to rush into uni as easily as you can then you're purposely going to waste money so you may as well take a gap year to save up money and get work + life experience. I'll gurantee that the way you're going you'll be one of those graduates who did any degree they could find, got no experience and is broke and not at all appealing to employers.

If you don't have the predicted grades, get actual grades and then apply to the best places.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Moonstruck16
Good thinking, not. If you just want to rush into uni as easily as you can then you're purposely going to waste money so you may as well take a gap year to save up money and get work + life experience. I'll gurantee that the way you're going you'll be one of those graduates who did any degree they could find, got no experience and is broke and not at all appealing to employers.

If you don't have the predicted grades, get actual grades and then apply to the best places.

Posted from TSR Mobile

that sounds like a logical decision but im not gonna waste a year of my life doing something i dont want to do because teachers gave me low predicted grades, i dont need life experience lol
Original post by Sayless
that sounds like a logical decision but im not gonna waste a year of my life doing something i dont want to do because teachers gave me low predicted grades, i dont need life experience lol

You need WORK experience and you clearly need life experience if you are rushing what's essentially is a 50k+ decision because you have **** grades and don't have the patience to aim for anything higher. Have some standards.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You need WORK experience and you clearly need life experience if you are rushing what's essentially is a 50k+ decision because you have **** grades and don't have the patience to aim for anything higher. Have some standards.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i have got some work experience, i don't need a gap year for life skills or stuff like that i have life skills its not rushing i'll be going when everyone else is going so same time, you don't have to pay it back until you earn over a certain amount so the money won't be a problem in going. i dont have bad grades i have bad predicted grades i won't get bad a2 grades, a year of my life is too long to wait i dont need life experience or to work anywhere to gather money, you get a student loan
Original post by Sayless
i have got some work experience, i don't need a gap year for life skills or stuff like that i have life skills its not rushing i'll be going when everyone else is going so same time, you don't have to pay it back until you earn over a certain amount so the money won't be a problem in going. i dont have bad grades i have bad predicted grades i won't get bad a2 grades, a year of my life is too long to wait i dont need life experience or to work anywhere to gather money, you get a student loan

Mate, you can't even write properly. I have never seen a better examples of running sentences and the inability to use capital letters and full stops.

Fine. But you are still not aiming high by waiting for adjustment. You're settling for whatever happens to come up and you still need to apply.

Also, unless you are from a wealthy family who will be WILLING to help you through uni, nearly every student will gurantee that your loan isn't enough.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Mate, you can't even write properly. I have never seen a better examples of running sentences and the inability to use capital letters and full stops.

Fine. But you are still not aiming high by waiting for adjustment. You're settling for whatever happens to come up and you still need to apply.

Also, unless you are from a wealthy family who will be WILLING to help you through uni, nearly every student will gurantee that your loan isn't enough.
Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah its a forum i'm purposely not typing properly. if I apply through adjustments i can get courses which exceed my predicted grades which means i will get into a better course and better uni so its a good idea, you can get a maintenance loan aswell from student loan i think and i'll just make sure careful how i spend it, no one i know has been struggling with money at uni. doesnt matter if i have to apply again the only difference is that i'll have a2 grades not predicted grades so it'll be easier
Original post by Sayless
yeah its a forum i'm purposely not typing properly. if I apply through adjustments i can get courses which exceed my predicted grades which means i will get into a better course and better uni so its a good idea, you can get a maintenance loan aswell from student loan i think and i'll just make sure careful how i spend it, no one i know has been struggling with money at uni. doesnt matter if i have to apply again the only difference is that i'll have a2 grades not predicted grades so it'll be easier

What is a 'better course'? What is a 'better uni'? What is the point of going to a good university that has a terrible reputation for the course you want to study?

Yeah. You only get the maintenance loan if you are poor enough for it. Otherwise you're screwed.

You're not applying again. You're hoping for the best and have no backup plan.

You haven't planned this out and are living in a dream world.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What is a 'better course'? What is a 'better uni'? What is the point of going to a good university that has a terrible reputation for the course you want to study?

Yeah. You only get the maintenance loan if you are poor enough for it. Otherwise you're screwed.

You're not applying again. You're hoping for the best and have no backup plan.

You haven't planned this out and are living in a dream world.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i've planned it out in my head, heres how it goes:
step 1: apply for 5 unis i want to go to and hope i get some offers
step 2: firm/insurance them
step 3: try for a better uni on results day after getting results through adjustment
step 4: go to uni

so i do have a plan but im relying on adjustments mainly since i have low predicted grades
Reply 39
I am a University of Essex student and currently in my third year. I have had the best experience studying at Essex, I am currently on a year abroad in Australia and having a great time thanks to Essex uni and can't wait to spend my final year back at Essex. They have great social activities, sports clubs, societies and accommodation for you to choose from, you will never be bored! The teaching I have also found to be great! So I would definitely do some research into Essex uni and give it a thought. If you have any questions about the University of Essex, please feel free to ask ^Sam

Quick Reply

Latest