Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

If I gave you £1m right now, what would you do with it? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by william walker)
    So he would have £250,000 then? That isn't a lot of money. A million isn't that much money anymore. Even where I live you could hard buy 20 acres and build a house for that. A better number would now be 2-5 million depending on where in the nation you are.

I would get the money. Go see my financial adviser, get it up in a trust so it is protected, then I would invest it on the stock market. I would do that with £600,000 of it. With the rest I would pay off the mortgages on my Dad's houses. That would be 110,000. Then my dad would sell two of the house for about 150,000-165,000. So make 30,000-40,000 off the houses. Which he would then give to my brother so he could buy a house with that money and his savings.

So that would leave me the 290,000 left. I would top up my current account and ISA that would be a few thousand. Then my other bank account with another 8,000. So that leaves 279,000. To best honest I don't have any use for this money. I don't want a house, a car, a business, land. I don't gamble or have any expensive interests. So I guess I would give £50,000 to UKIP, £50,000 to the Traditional Britain Group, £50,000 to the Orange Order, £50,000 to the Rebel.Media and £50,000 to Bill Whittle.com. 29,000 left. I would put it in another bank account.
    I only chose £1m because its nice number aha, I appreciate that its not worth much, houses down the road are worth more, and my brother is only 12 so..

your plan sounds very well thought out.

ReputationRep:
    £250k - Save/Rainy day/Future children inheritance/Not decided what i'd do with it but think saving 25% is a good idea

£250k - Property
    - ~£50k for parents house using maximum right to buy
    - £50k renovate said house and extend (add conservatory and utility room on the side plus a loft conversion)
    - £150k apartment in Leeds City Center to be primary residence (or whichever city i'm in)

£250k - Investments in Bonds, shares, funds ect..

£250k - Spending fund

Not a life changing amount but it would provide financial security for life and significantly increase the amount of money i'd save/invest from my income.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driftawaay)
    lol no u wouldnt.
    sure

ReputationRep:
    this is funny because when this came up at a family event once, my brother was totally like thats not a lot of money, because he would have to buy himself a few luxury cars and a luxury house and then the money would be gone in five seconds. and the thing is, he would actually do that. he also has a gambling addiction and is one of those people who will never be able to accumulate wealth because he is a spender, not a saver. spenders end up like that lottery winner callie rogers who blew her millions on plastic surgery, drugs and luxury things until she had 2K left in her account and is now a cleaner. stupid ****ing cow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chantalc)
    I only chose £1m because its nice number aha, I appreciate that its not worth much, houses down the road are worth more, and my brother is only 12 so..

your plan sounds very well thought out.
    Yeah I have done this before. So it is basically just rinse and repeat.

ReputationRep:
    leave 6th form. Oh what a dream that would be...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    leave 6th form. Oh what a dream that would be...
    why would you do that? you still need an education..

ReputationRep:
    Invest it in a pair of Holland and Holland.

Or one of these.

https://www.guntrader.uk/Guns-For-Sa...50716184347001

ReputationRep:
    why would you do that? you still need an education..
    Because I hate it...and with that much money I could buy an education if I so wish...

ReputationRep:
    1m i would move to random cities around the world. Experiencing the local culture, way of life, women etc.

I would either stay in hotels or buy property and set up a business where i don't need to be actively involved.

ReputationRep:
    Because I hate it...and with that much money I could buy an education if I so wish...
    oh like get privately tutored?

ReputationRep:
    ^as the title states.
    Buy a ton of McDonalds franchises and be a millionaire by the time I was 30

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Invest it in a pair of Holland and Holland.

Or one of these.

https://www.guntrader.uk/Guns-For-Sa...50716184347001
    Why would you get one of them when you could get a custom made Purdey?

ReputationRep:
    oh like get privately tutored?
    lol I was joking about 'buying' an education. But it's true, I wouldn't need to go to university anymore...I could invest and live a wonderful life...in all my 'freeness' if I wish to learn something(which I will always want to do), I could, I would not have to go into my horrible 6th form everyday! that is a dream!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Why would you get one of them when you could get a custom made Purdey?
    Because it has 3 barrels and I am yet to get an FAC so I can get a custom combination gun. I'm thinking 12 bore with a .338.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Because it has 3 barrels and I am yet to get an FAC so I can get a custom combination gun. I'm thinking 12 bore with a .338.
    Hmmm.. Yeah but a Purdey is a Purdey. I don't know how well they hold their value but it would be a great heirloom

ReputationRep:
    lol I was joking about 'buying' an education. But it's true, I wouldn't need to go to university anymore...I could invest and live a wonderful life...in all my 'freeness' if I wish to learn something(which I will always want to do), I could, I would not have to go into my horrible 6th form everyday! that is a dream!
    Why do you hate sixth form? What are you studying?

ReputationRep:
    25k on a 1 year old BMW 4 series
    3 * 250k properties generating ~1k a month each
    175k in bonds/stocks
    50k on cars for parents + sister
    25k cash in the bank

ReputationRep:
    Be a strong independent black woman

ReputationRep:
    Well assuming the OP is a girl I would ask her out

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.