ReputationRep:
    Leaked picture of Captain Jack :ninja:

Spoiler:
    Show
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    People tend to rep other people that they know and like. That always happens on any remotely social forum when you have a reputation system, it's practically inevitable. This forum is run by a business, so any extreme abuses would be bad for business. It's not a democracy, though.

You haven't seen a forum with corrupt leaders yet. You should see what happens when trolls run the forums rather than just mildly biased people with good intentions like you see everywhere else. I actually wrote about my experience on one such forum in another thread about preventing online trolling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeremy1988)
    People tend to rep other people that they know and like. That always happens on any remotely social forum when you have a reputation system, it's practically inevitable. This forum is run by a business, so any extreme abuses would be bad for business. It's not a democracy, though.

You haven't seen a forum with corrupt leaders yet. You should see what happens when trolls run the forums rather than just mildly biased people with good intentions like you see everywhere else. I actually wrote about my experience on one such forum in another thread about preventing online trolling.
    And how do you explain a single rep giving that much rep power?

ReputationRep:
    You have put way too much effort into this, how bored are you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    You have put way too much effort into this, how bored are you?
    It took a chance piece of information catching my eye as I was searching for something in particular for me to see the conspiracy. The research and post itself took less than 5 minutes to make.
    I'm sorry that you are too far gone to note the importance of such a f...just look at your rep. Are you in on it?!?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somemightsay888)
    Leaked picture of Captain Jack :ninja:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Captain Jack <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    It took a chance piece of information catching my eye as I was searching for something in particular for me to see the conspiracy. The research and post itself took less than 5 minutes to make.
    I'm sorry that you are too far gone to note the importance of such a f...just look at your rep. Are you in on it?!?!
    No, I'm just a rep whore.

ReputationRep:
    The moderation of the forum has always been quite arbitrary.

ReputationRep:
    No, I'm just a rep whore.

:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stochasticking)
    :rofl:
    Honesty is the best policy.

ReputationRep:
    Relax yourself bruv going into bare political **** at like 1am

ReputationRep:
    Honesty is the best policy.
    Haha that was funny but you would be more of a rep pimp because you're receiving the reps :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon_98)
    Captain Jack <3
    Thanks Anon (!) :grumble:

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to give OP a pity rep. **** the system OP!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stochasticking)
    Haha that was funny but you would be more of a rep pimp because you're receiving the reps :P
    No, I whore myself out in order to receive reps. Give the people what they want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somemightsay888)
    Thanks Anon (!) :grumble:
    You are welcome. :bubbles:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've woken up!

ReputationRep:
    No, I whore myself out in order to receive reps. Give the people what they want.
    Shh you're giving the secrets away

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    And how do you explain a single rep giving that much rep power?
    Blame vBulletin plugins. A moderator or admin's rep is worth more than any others by default. Honestly, on half the forums I've seen where they enable it, it causes so much controversy that they end up disabling it. Especially negative reputation, which has already been disabled here.

Also, the algorithm is built so that the higher your reputation is, the more rep their own reps are worth. It becomes a popularity contest. Honestly, one member on another forum with this system felt so bad about her high reputation that she kept repping new members to bring them up to the same reputation level as everyone else. Being able to give someone personal reputation on their profile also doesn't help keep it from becoming a popularity contest. LOL.

I actually parodied the kind of thing everyone used to do on those threads. Basically, six years ago on this joke forum that someone created temporarily while the main forum was done, I actually created a thread called "Rep point generation thread," and asked everyone to rep everyone else who posted in the thread. Then we just had a casual conversation and kept repping the replies. It was a parody of what was actually happening on people's blog threads (this was before vBulletin had separate blog sections).

But seriously, reputation itself is kind of a joke. It's too subjective. But it doesn't really affect how the site is governed or whether people are obeying rules or not.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 19, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.