Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is it pointless doing Law at a non RG uni? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raees_Sharif)
    engineering, physics, mathematics, medicine/dentistry/vet med, or computer science
    Do you know if computer science requires A level Maths? This really looks very interesting but i only got a solid B at GCSE, haven't done A level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tashasalvatore1)
    my friend completed a law degree at DMU and the opportunities that she's had since getting that degree are incredible! People look at your degree at the end of the day, 'good' universities are always subject to change
    Thanks, unsure if I will do Law but I certainly like the look of DMU, will go to the next open day in November

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexp98)
    Do you know if computer science requires A level Maths? This really looks very interesting but i only got a solid B at GCSE, haven't done A level.
    it depends on the universities, however there's a significant number of RG universities that will take you without AL maths. these include: birmingham, leeds, newcastle, liverpool, nottingham, cardiff, QMUL, QUB, and KCL. nearly all the non RG universities will take you without AL maths excluding bath and st andrews. However I'd highly recommend you take maths to atleast AS level if possible.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to work as a solicitor or barrister, then I'm afraid it does matter. Law is notoriously picky as a sector about which universities their trainees come from, with RG unis favoured. Chambers Student Guide published a very interesting document on where most trainees come from, which is worth a read - there was a very strong bias towards certain RG unis

(Original post by Raees_Sharif)
    yeah it's a waste of £50k to do law at a non-RG university. you'd be better off doing a stem degree
    Doing a STEM degree if you're not good at or interested in STEM subjects is a very bad idea - you're likely to end up miserable and with a 2:2 or third, which will harm your job prospects enormously.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    If you want to work as a solicitor or barrister, then I'm afraid it does matter. Law is notoriously picky as a sector about which universities their trainees come from, with RG unis favoured. Chambers Student Guide published a very interesting document on where most trainees come from, which is worth a read - there was a very strong bias towards certain RG unis

Doing a STEM degree if you're not good at or interested in STEM subjects is a very bad idea - you're likely to end up miserable and with a 2:2 or third, which will harm your job prospects enormously.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ATM, I'm intrested in accounting and finance or computer science but really can't decide which one. Also, I didn't do A level maths at A level so am hoping is isn't a problem. My math is still good though and I did get a solid B at GCSE

ReputationRep:
    I think it really depends of what you're hoping to do after. If you're aiming for the top firms then it probably will matter but I found that, while my Law degree got me a few interviews locally, it was pretty much useless until I got some relevant work experience.

ReputationRep:
    ATM, I'm intrested in accounting and finance or computer science but really can't decide which one. Also, I didn't do A level maths at A level so am hoping is isn't a problem. My math is still good though and I did get a solid B at GCSE
    It will only be a problem at those unis which explicitly require maths A Level, which is common but not universal for those subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    It will only be a problem at those unis which explicitly require maths A Level, which is common but not universal for those subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Agreed, yeah. I've started making a list of all the top and realistic Uni's which don't require them and thankfully there are still a lot of top 35 ones that don't

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered doing another degree and then doing a GDL?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloom77)
    Have you considered doing another degree and then doing a GDL?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The thing is I didn't really want to be a solicitor or Lawyer anyway, I was just interesting in studying the subject but now have changed my mind due to talking to a lot of teachers and people fro this thread and will do a stem degree.

ReputationRep:
    The thing is I didn't really want to be a solicitor or Lawyer anyway, I was just interesting in studying the subject but now have changed my mind due to talking to a lot of teachers and people fro this thread and will do a stem degree.
    Cool

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.