The Student Room Group

Anyone given up on love?

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE=Anonymous;60024571]Not sure if i should be feeling this way at 20 but, has anyone else given up on love? And is more into having "fun" / "going with the flow"...

Maybe due to negative views on relationships and such.. or am I just too pessimistic?

I'm young too, and I used to be bitter and cynical when it came to relationships. I was very depressed and I didn't understand the concept of love; to me, it was just an illusion for silly people.
"There's no such thing", I'd say, and "I don't have a chance anyway", or "the negatives outweigh the positives".

Then life decided to throw me a curve ball and now I'm struggling with feelings for a certain person. Turns out, I'm not as immune to "love" as I thought I was. Lol :biggrin:

You're only 20; you have plenty of time left and plenty of opportunities. I was in your boat so I understand your pessimism, but don't lose hope, 'kay? You'll get your own curve ball eventually. :wink:
Does suck when you love sexual things but really dislike the idea of a relationship for emotional reasons.
Hate Love
Hate Love
Do You Hate Love
Hate Love
Original post by Anonymous
so would you say that the idea of love is just something that 'feels nice' and we weigh more on the positives when in reality, it is about compromising and making one vulnerable to a stage you will be hurt so many times and YET still want to be with someone that makes you happy for those "moments"

Yes. I wouldn't want the kind of bs love you see in Disney movies. It's an adventure. And anyway, I like to think that I'm not one of those people who ends up losing themselves and as a consequence, is a nervous wreck when they come out of the relationship.

You have to remember that their are different kinds of love.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've not been in love since 2010; it causes me to behave irrationally, so is perhaps one complication I can do without. Nevertheless, I do miss it.
Would rather be without it. Saves the dissapointment and pain when you lose it.
Reply 26
Original post by TorpidPhil
I don't think it is. There's little point at all if you don't have hope. Like, literally, what's the point living? You may say there are other things to hope for than relationships yet I wouldn't be satisfied until I have a successful one. So... It is very important. It's absolutely fundamental.

Hi lol XD

I'm exceptionally tired tonight... Had a tiring week and the weekend was no less so with police training 9-5 each day. It was worse actually since it was physical stuff this weekend. So my eyelids are struggling to stay open now.

Hope uni is treating you well :smile:

Lol I asked you once what's the point of living? Remember.

Ah, you're busy, busy as always. At least it's a good distraction, right?

Uni is stressful, way too much work. Plus I'm a loner here too xD you were right in saying moving away will worsen things

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not sure if i should be feeling this way at 20 but, has anyone else given up on love? And is more into having "fun" / "going with the flow"...

Maybe due to negative views on relationships and such.. or am I just too pessimistic?

Who cares? Relationships aren't worth it anymore to be honest, seems like almost all of them end in travesty.

Better yet, enjoy single life. The concept of being in love might seem appealing but then you have to dedicated a portion of your life to them, and if your lazy like me its a lot of hassel.
Not sure if i should be feeling this way at 20 but, has anyone else given up on love? And is more into having "fun" / "going with the flow"...

It gets better in your early 20's onwards when the people you date are no longer children

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PusE
Lol I asked you once what's the point of living? Remember.

Ah, you're busy, busy as always. At least it's a good distraction, right?

Uni is stressful, way too much work. Plus I'm a loner here too xD you were right in saying moving away will worsen things

Posted from TSR Mobile

First year is very easy compared to second year and second year is very easy compared to third. So good luck with that haha. Generally I find there's less work than there was at A-levels, but you need more self-discipline which is hard. Especially when you need self-discipline to be making your own food and managing your own budget and the like too... It's all too easy to just forget it all and sleep in your bed doing nothing...

Then there's the whole loneliness factor. If you don't succumb to the university attitude of binge drinking and constant partying it is rather hard to make friends. Especially good friends. Ughhh.
Reply 30
Original post by TorpidPhil
First year is very easy compared to second year and second year is very easy compared to third. So good luck with that haha. Generally I find there's less work than there was at A-levels, but you need more self-discipline which is hard. Especially when you need self-discipline to be making your own food and managing your own budget and the like too... It's all too easy to just forget it all and sleep in your bed doing nothing...

Then there's the whole loneliness factor. If you don't succumb to the university attitude of binge drinking and constant partying it is rather hard to make friends. Especially good friends. Ughhh.

not necessarily you will be surprised on those who actually don't drink in uni and still are the life of the party, i.e. myself. I love going out and the nights out because i have fun and don't have to rely on drinks. yes, i feel lonely at times but, it only brings out better work and makes me more focused on things other than having fun.
Original post by Anaa95
not necessarily you will be surprised on those who actually don't drink in uni and still are the life of the party, i.e. myself. I love going out and the nights out because i have fun and don't have to rely on drinks. yes, i feel lonely at times but, it only brings out better work and makes me more focused on things other than having fun.

I hate partying though. I'd much rather get punched in the face.
Of course it is. Tina Turner said long back
" What's love - just a second hand emotion. "
I thought everyone knew it.
Moreover, 'Love's not magical ! its only physical"
Well done!
Viva!
Ole!

[video]https://youtu.be/oGpFcHTxjZs[/video]
(edited 8 years ago)
Of course it is. Tina Turner said long back
" What's love - just a second hand emotion. "
I thought everyone knew it.
Moreover, 'Love's not magical ! its only physical"
Well done!
Viva!
OLE

[video]https://youtu.be/oGpFcHTxjZs[/video]
Original post by connieiscrazy
You seem very young to be giving up on love. You have your whole life stretching in front of you to find it! Actually, instead of finding it, it tends to find you... you'll experience it when you least expect it. For now, just concentrate on other areas of life, be yourself, and the rest will fall into place.

No offence, but I loathe this type of advice. It really pisses me the living **** off. Give up on love, it's not worth the pain experienced trying to find it. Men are utter douchebags anyway and are a waste of time and energy.
Love is something that can be seen as a normal thing in our society.However true love isn't about chasing someone rich or being with a girl because of her body.But acknowledging what's within a person which makes them who they are.Some say love comes into your life when your least expecting it and others say "have fun".I personally have been in love well it was one sided but if someone doesn't love you.Then be happy that you can get rid of that person who brought you down and move on to someone new.You don't have to give up on love to not be in love.You can continue with your daily life and wait for love.:h:
Yeh i've given up completely. Would love a girlfriend but it's obviously never going to happen.

I'm approaching my 25th birthday and I haven't even been on a date before. I'm obviously destined for a life of loneliness.
Reply 37
Nope . I'm 21 and I consider I'm too young to focus my life on "love" , there are other priorities right now. First of all , I want to focus on my professional life , once I'm completely satisfied with it I might be able to look for love. Enjoy life ! Love is not the only thing that makes us happy , there are other types of love such as love from our friends and family which is very important as well.
i think i given up on dating!

i just cant do it anymore....
ive messed up and been hurt too many times and recently its completely broke me... altho i do believe in love and hopefully one day
Reply 39
Original post by sr90
Yeh i've given up completely. Would love a girlfriend but it's obviously never going to happen.

I'm approaching my 25th birthday and I haven't even been on a date before. I'm obviously destined for a life of loneliness.

Youll be fine man.

Quick Reply

Latest