Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What would you do with £3,000 in savings? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by small.littlefish)
    Yeah I know, that's why I wanted to do an MA. Most people my age with decent jobs have an MA in a similar field, a BA degree especially in Sociology is pretty rubbish.
    I'd agree it is a competitive market. MA would at least offer you more prospects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
    What kinds of jobs have you been looking at? Ever tried applying to charities or the government?
    I applied to pretty much anything after graduation, I want a job in charity ideally I did have a few interviews which I screwed up and after 6-12 months I thought I'd give up trying and try my best to pay for a Master's degree but it's so hard saving on minimum wage, I've been living off pretty much nothing for months and months, so depressing!

I might just try to find an internship in UK/volunteer abroad and save the rest to try to find a decent job again :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Blow it on coke and hookers.
    I'm a girl.
    Everyone knows girls don't drink coke.
    How about pepsi and hookers?

ReputationRep:
    Buy an icecream.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    I'd agree it is a competitive market. MA would at least offer you more prospects.
    That's what I thought, I was really happy when I got into Durham as it's a good university and I never thought I'd get accepted (may have something to do with them wanting my money though ). But I really want to do my MA abroad (Sweden/Netherlands etc.) because they have good uni's and it make's me stand out a bit as well.

Oh well, I really just want to move from my current dead end city (!) and work for something other than minimum wage! I think even if I can't manage an internship, if I volunteer abroad for a while I'll feel better about looking for a job again, as being stuck in this rut with no break is so demotivating and I don't really have many options

ReputationRep:
    That's what I thought, I was really happy when I got into Durham as it's a good university and I never thought I'd get accepted (may have something to do with them wanting my money though ). But I really want to do my MA abroad (Sweden/Netherlands etc.) because they have good uni's and it make's me stand out a bit as well.

Oh well, I really just want to move from my current dead end city (!) and work for something other than minimum wage! I think even if I can't manage an internship, if I volunteer abroad for a while I'll feel better about looking for a job again, as being stuck in this rut with no break is so demotivating and I don't really have many options
    Hmm seems like a fair plan. What city are you currently in? It's not much better any where else tbh. If you move to London you'll be hit with a higher cost of living and even less savings.

ReputationRep:
    I applied to pretty much anything after graduation, I want a job in charity ideally I did have a few interviews which I screwed up and after 6-12 months I thought I'd give up trying and try my best to pay for a Master's degree but it's so hard saving on minimum wage, I've been living off pretty much nothing for months and months, so depressing!

I might just try to find an internship in UK/volunteer abroad and save the rest to try to find a decent job again :/
    Ouch, that hurts!

I think an internship in the UK would really help you, especially if it helps you get one foot into an industry, but volunteering/interning overseas is pretty much a huge gamble and another gold sink since a lot of these overseas internships do not reimburse expenses - plus you won't be earning anything for a year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    Hmm seems like a fair plan. What city are you currently in? It's not much better any where else tbh. If you move to London you'll be hit with a higher cost of living and even less savings.
    I live in a small Northern city. It's pretty cheap to live in which is good, but most friend's have left now, so it's pretty boring. I don't think I'd move to London unless it was temporary i.e. internship or god willing a great paying job . Thanks for your help anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
    Ouch, that hurts!

I think an internship in the UK would really help you, especially if it helps you get one foot into an industry, but volunteering/interning overseas is pretty much a huge gamble and another gold sink since a lot of these overseas internships do not reimburse expenses - plus you won't be earning anything for a year.
    I'm looking for internships now, but almost all are science/IT/marketing nothing in say, government or charities so I might not have much luck.

I think I need a break, since graduation I've been worrying, planning etc. what to do next so even volunteering away for a few weeks might help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scotttb)
    Everyone knows girls don't drink coke.
    How about pepsi and hookers?
    No, girls like diet coke. Coke is well known to help you slim down.

ReputationRep:
    He'd probably be up for it to be fair...Haha!
    Everybody wins.

ReputationRep:
    I actually LOVE diet coke!

ReputationRep:
    I would put £500 in here to get the £50 bonus. Personally, I would keep it in the monthly lending as your circumstances are such that you could need relatively short notice access. A 10% return for 30 days is as good as you will see anywhere. I've been using them for a couple of years for a part of our savings (I've got about £3k in here at the minute getting between 3.1% and 4%). We've never lost a penny, nor has anyone else using the site but obviously do some research of your own and don't take the word of a stranger on a forum.
    Disclosure, I would also get £50 if you put the £500 in here as a referral fee.
    http://link.ratesetter.com/92phs9m

I would stay away from stocks and shares as you don't mention long term growth being a priority. Your lack of alternative cash could also mean you're forced to sell at an inopportune time in the market.

There's a savings account that firstdirect do which offers 6% if you set up a regular deposit (direct debit) of up to £300 per month. Its tied in for 12 months but that's probably the best rate on the market at the moment.
    You need a current account with them though (welcome bonus of £125 if you meet the criteria). I think you have to pay £10 per month if you cant pay £1,000 per month into the current account though so watch out for that.

Give this a good read too, Martin normally gives a pretty good overview of the market.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/sav...-best-interest

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.