Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

Is it okay to eat in a restaurant alone?? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSI_10)
    Well they must be idiots as they could have lost a customer then...
    To best honest I liked it. Just I couldn't be bothered to say anything. However I liked that the girl knew me and started the banter with me. Just I didn't say anything. I mean she was working in KFC so they can only make fun of me so much before I say, well you are working in KFC.
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Jenx301)
    I would go to somewhere like mcdonalds, KFC or something alone but not a proper restaurant such as Bella Italia, Chiquitos etc where they seat you and you would be like "table for one". It just seems a bit much if you are alone.... personally I'd just go to Costa and get a panini or something.
    I agree.

I don't know... knowing me, I'd probably be so nervous about eating alone that I'd probably just read words in a book but none would go into my head :lol:

I'd happily read alone in small coffee shops though, where the focus is on having some quiet time and something small to nibble on than an actual meal.. :yep:

liquity, honestly, as long as you're feeling occupied and comfortable, it should be a VERY pleasant experience for you.
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Mr Smurf)
    Loser.
    shut up brads :innocent: :lol:

I could easily make a list of what activities you struggle to get a +1 to do things with

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecatwithnohat)
    I agree.

I don't know... knowing me, I'd probably be so nervous about eating alone that I'd probably just read words in a book but none would go into my head :lol:

I'd happily read alone in small coffee shops though, where the focus is on having some quiet time and something small to nibble on than an actual meal.. :yep:

liquity, honestly, as long as you're feeling occupied and comfortable, it should be a VERY pleasant experience for you.
    Okay thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecatwithnohat)
    shut up brads :innocent: :lol:

I could easily make a list of what activities you struggle to get a +1 to do things with
    Oh no please not on here. :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    You can do what you want.im 17 and I go to cafes and shop on my own all the time. Everyone else is ptobably too absorbed in themselves to notice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSI_10)
    Well they must be idiots as they could have lost a customer then...
    Do you really think the staff who work there care if they lose a customer? Only the management would care. And they make huge profits anyway, I doubt losing 1 customer is going to hurt them.

ReputationRep:
    It's fine. Nobody will judge you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starlight82)
    As long as you have something to keep you occupied, it should be fine. A book is a good idea what others think isn't worth worrying about. Once you're there, you'll feel better after you sit down.
    people will think she's a dork i mean come on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liquity)
    Basically I want to take a shopping trip into town but I really like shopping on my own because I go to shops on my own and I can browse whatever I want to look at in my own time. I kind of want to have lunch at a restaurant that I like but do you think it would be weird if I sat in a restaurant on my own? Like I'd probably have a book so it's not like I'd just be sitting there staring into space, but if I ask a friend to come with me then I have to go to shops they want to go to and I can't spend as long as I want looking at stuff idk, would you judge someone who is 17 sitting in a restaurant on their own?
    I'd come and sit with you

ReputationRep:
    Genuinely, while you are the centre of your world, your only on the margins of everyone else's - most people wouldn't even notice you eating alone, and if they DID notice, they probably wouldn't care

Just do what you want, I go places by myself all the time; the more you do it, the less weird it feels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmashConcept)
    people will think she's a dork i mean come on
    People might be too busy with their own things to notice. She could always take a notebook and pen and pretend she's working on something if it bothers her. It'll just look like she's having a quick bite to eat in between work. I still think she shouldn't care though lol.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you need approval from strangers online? I see plenty of people dining in on their own during their lunch break

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liquity)
    But won't people think ha she has no friends???

Why only Nando's?

Well, me I guess. I know I shouldn't but I can't help it
    It's undeniably true however most of the time you won't know these people and they have nothing to do with you. You shouldn't care what others think because it shouldn't affect you so don't let it affect you. I have a good skinny O.P.S latte in Costa now and then and most of the time I like to drink it whilst browsing the news and checking world economic news alone. I don't mind if friends join me though.

nah hun, you should go. I love shopping on my own but then I make arrangements to have lunch or dinner with someone at a certain time so I get the best of both worlds because I get bored easily. but as long as you are comfortable then who cares what people think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by william walker)
    No. I used to go to KFC when I went to college every week. Because I kept ordering the same thing the staff started making fun of me.
    In Pret they have my order waiting for me

ReputationRep:
    You're only 17? Nobody will batter an eyelid, trust me. It's when you get over 20 or 30 it becomes a little worrying, heh heh.

ReputationRep:
    I also enjoy shopping alone and I've also dined alone before - it's totally fine!

ReputationRep:
    I've ate on my own in a restaurant/nice-ish place plenty of times usually after shopping or if I have been busy running errand so feel like treating myself.

I usually order and either read the news and stuff in my phone or listen to a podcast while eating. I genuinely enjoy it and feel rather relaxed. And trust me there might be one or two people who look at you funny but the vast majority of people won't care. I think people are much more aware of the fact that having some 'me time' is a valuable thing.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.