Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReeceM1)
    Is this not just political correctness gone mad?
    What's mad about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wave of Wisdom)
    Hold the line. Some of these are absurd: why would you ban words like this? Children are having their freedom stripped to save their feelings. They will grow in to weak individuals. But let's go through some of these:

1. Telling someone to man up means to toughen up; absorb the blow and get back up. If this sounds like bad advice then you were mollycoddled as a child.

2. No one calls a girl a lesbian based on her profession- that is retarded. They call her a lesbian if she's butch. You know, if she looks like a rugby player and has a particularly booming voice. This is setting up such a straw man.

3. At primary school, if a teacher says this: it's typically a PE teacher and they are encouraging you. Boys should be encouraged to push their physical limits and be competitive, whilst girls only want to participate because the boys they like are there. There is little difference in saying "don't be a girl" and "man up".

Also, I've never heard anybody in real life utter the phrase "make me a sandwich". It would be so misplaced unless you were in a kitchen or restaurant- it would make you look stupid for saying it. As insults go, most children don't make their own food anymore, so again it's another straw man.
    You seem like a naive idiot so I guess I'll take it upon myself to educate you.

1. Well done for completely missing the point. Telling someone to "man up" encourages the stereotype that boys should be tough and to discourage them from showing emotion while simultaneously suggesting women aren't as mentally tough as men.

2. Just plain false. Did you even have any friends at school? On countless occasions, girls who chose to do subjects like woodwork would get called lesbians no matter what they physically looked like. Same goes for the guys who did Home economics (why wasn't that on the list I wonder?)

3. You're an idiot.

I'm guessing you're just a troll because no one can be that retarded or out of touch with reality.

I personally don't care whether these rules are put in place or not. I for one like gender roles and think that people should embrace them and celebrate the differences rather than get rid of them. However, im also smart enough to realise some of the valid points behind getting rid of them.

ReputationRep:
    This is just clear and obvious ******ry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IamJacksContempt)
    I personally don't care whether these rules are put in place or not. I for one like gender roles and think that people should embrace them and celebrate the differences rather than get rid of them. However, im also smart enough to realise some of the valid points behind getting rid of them.
    You can't have your cake and eat it... Do you want to remove gender roles or do you want to embrace them? Your language is very SocJus. Thank you for "educating me", I am a mere $hitl0rd and need all the help I can get. I am just a white cis het male in need of redemption

Your post is the ramblings of a schizophrenic who doesn't know what they think. Perhaps you're just spouting someone else's views you've heard. I'd recommend you consider both positions carefully before you try to "educate me".

ReputationRep:
    Apparently its OK to get squads of girls to police this though...
    So sexism is banned... Except for when its encouraged

Hmm, indoctrination begins very early.

ReputationRep:
    You can't have your cake and eat it... Do you want to remove gender roles or do you want to embrace them? Your language is very SocJus. Thank you for "educating me", I am a mere $hitl0rd and need all the help I can get. I am just a white cis het male in need of redemption

Your post is the ramblings of a schizophrenic who doesn't know what they think. Perhaps you're just spouting someone else's views you've heard. I'd recommend you consider both positions carefully before you try to "educate me".
    Oh look. someone took GCSE Psychology apparently :lol:

Did you fail reading comprehension at school? I clearly said that I personally want to embrace them, but I can see why others want to remove them. Your argument for them was naive and idiotic.

ReputationRep:
    Oh look. someone took GCSE Psychology apparently :lol:

Did you fail reading comprehension at school? I clearly said that I personally want to embrace them, but I can see why others want to remove them. Your argument for them was naive and idiotic.
    "I am smart enough to see some of the valid points for removing them".

If this isn't an endorsement of a confused position I don't know what is.

ReputationRep:
    "I am smart enough to see some of the valid points for removing them".

If this isn't an endorsement of a confused position I don't know what is.
    I think you are the one that is confused. Are you claiming that it is impossible to stand on one side of an argument without being able to see valid points from the opposition?

ReputationRep:
    I think you are the one that is confused. Are you claiming that it is impossible to stand on one side of an argument without being able to see valid points from the opposition?
    Agreeing with both positions puts you in the centre, or otherwise, nothing crowd. Stay PC bro. You can see valid points for brainwashing children as young as FIVE because feminism and equality and... Christ. If you Don't endorse the brainwashing of five year old children then just say it- don't pussyfoot around it.

ReputationRep:
    I like how they missed out "you can't hit me, I'm a girl." Usually said after the girl punches or kicks you and giggles.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst "man-up...a bit wet" and "cupcake" may be a tad pointless to ban outright, (as 'man-up' in particular is a phrase ingrained into the idiolects of many) the rest seem to be genuinely derogatory.

ReputationRep:
    can we still use the phrase "Mampy Crab" ?

:holmes:

ReputationRep:
    I can't imagine that this is going to change anything as far as sexism is concerned. Just because phrases such as 'man up' are "banned" in schools doesn't mean they will be used any less frequently.

ReputationRep:
    I don't necessarily agree with your views, but +1 for this (in bold.)

ReputationRep:
    Agreeing with both positions puts you in the centre, or otherwise, nothing crowd. Stay PC bro. You can see valid points for brainwashing children as young as FIVE because feminism and equality and... Christ. If you Don't endorse the brainwashing of five year old children then just say it- don't pussyfoot around it.
    Just of out curiousity was your username meant to be ironic? Wave of Wisdom can't comprehend two conflicting points at the same time or his brain starts to hurt awww

ReputationRep:
    Strangely missing insults about men who do subjects such as home economics who get called gay unless that has changed since I left school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drbluebox)
    Strangely missing insults about men who do subjects such as home economics who get called gay unless that has changed since I left school.
    Quite strange. Almost as if they only care about the girls.

ReputationRep:
    If I ever have kids in this god-forsaken country, I will make sure to home school them away from the prissy, sissy little girls running the education system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 41b)
    If I ever have kids in this god-forsaken country, I will make sure to home school them away from the prissy, sissy little girls running the education system.
    100% agree

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.