Turn on thread page Beta

Fat man Jamie Oliver demands a sugar tax. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGuyReturns)
    He's quite firmly in the overweight category in the picture. I'd bet pretty close to obese.
    Alright, I think my idea of fat is skewed to the more extreme side of things.
    Although it seems hypocritical that someone who isn't the picture of healthy living themselves is advocating the idea, I think it's besides the point. If it's a good idea, then it is so for its own sake, regardless of what Jamie Oliver thinks.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think this will work. Companies sell a bottle of unbranded 'cola' for like 40p for 2L.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Both this thread and Jamie's idea are getting a bit silly. Firstly, so what if Jamie's fat - he's a chef, I'm sure he eats a bit too much, he's getting on a bit now, he's bound to be a bit chubby. BUT, it raises a good point - it's overeating that makes you fat, not sugar consumption (surely most people have heard of the notion of calories in vs calories out by now), and the demonisation of sugar needs to stop tbh. It's a lengthy topic, but this is a great article on why sugar isn't the monster it's currently made out to be by the media and the government:
    http://fitnessbaddies.com/your-probl...em-with-sugar/

It appears insanely long at first glance when you first start scrolling, but 3/4 of the page are the comments section

ReputationRep:
    Clearly the money has got to Jamie and he now thinks he can determine politics. Let him carry on. Why not put a tax on non organic food too. Organic food is much better #Teehee,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Both this thread and Jamie's idea are getting a bit silly. Firstly, so what if Jamie's fat - he's a chef, I'm sure he eats a bit too much, he's getting on a bit now, he's bound to be a bit chubby. BUT, it raises a good point - it's overeating that makes you fat, not sugar consumption (surely most people have heard of the notion of calories in vs calories out by now), and the demonisation of sugar needs to stop tbh. It's a lengthy topic, but this is a great article on why sugar isn't the monster it's currently made out to be by the media and the government:
    http://fitnessbaddies.com/your-probl...em-with-sugar/

It appears insanely long at first glance when you first start scrolling, but 3/4 of the page are the comments section
    What would a good suggestion be in the context of this thread?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    Clearly the money has got to Jamie and he now thinks he can determine politics. Let him carry on. Why not put a tax on non organic food too. Organic food is much better #Teehee,
    He's been trying to do things like this for years? I think he's pretty legit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGuyReturns)
    He's quite firmly in the overweight category in the picture. I'd bet pretty close to obese.
    I don't think you know what "obese" is.

ReputationRep:
    Ya'll need to watch this: http://youtu.be/Oj9CRK26DIo
    And this: https://youtu.be/BCM2PZ-SFTk
    First video is from 2015, second is from 2010

It's eye-opening.
    I also recommend you watch Jamie Oliver's Sugar Rush and Chanel 4's Junk Food Kids, both filmed in 2015.

And sugar DOES make you fat, along with overeating...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by JD1lla)
    What would a good suggestion be in the context of this thread?
    I don't quite understand what you're asking mate, maybe just me being tarded :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IamJacksContempt)
    I don't think you know what "obese" is.
    I don't think you do if you don't think Jamie was close to or in that category in the picture given.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on board if it subsidizes healthier stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    I admire your posts Billy boy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pineneedles)
    Hmm, I don't think of that as fat, he's just a normal size, surely?
    That's cos your average westerner is fat ?

ReputationRep:
    Lol what's him being 'fat' got to do with anything, you can get fat barely eating any sugar you guys need to quit yo judgin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    I don't think you do if you don't think Jamie was close to or in that category in the picture given.
    He was close to having excessive fat in the picture which showed him... not having excessive fat? I think you need to educate yourself on what exactly obesity is.

ReputationRep:
    Awesome. Discriminate against athletes who eat sugar for energy. We have too many of those.

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna say no, because it just isn't fair that half the population have to pay more just because the other half can't control themselves. As someone who used to be heavily obese, there was no one to blame for it but myself, and this is accurate for the vast majority of Obese people.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    The man has a point tbh. It's ridiculous that you can buy a huge portion of chips for £1 yet if you want a healthy salad or a meal deal you'll be lucky to get change from a fiver. No wonder there's an obesity crisis in this country. Doesn't really affect me as I don't need to manage by money in that way, but if you're on the minimum wage and have a pittance to live off which option are you going to pick?

A healthy diet is only affordable if you spend ages cooking. It takes me an hour each way to commute to work on top of a 9 hour shift - when I get home after that I really can't be arsed to spend 20-30 minutes cooking something, I just want something quick and easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    Awesome. Discriminate against athletes who eat sugar for energy. We have too many of those.
    Pretty sure Athletes don't eat monster munch or KitKats for energy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IamJacksContempt)
    Pretty sure Athletes don't eat monster munch or KitKats for energy.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.