Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should we protect jobs at the cost of higher inflation and/or taxes? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Should government save UK jobs via market intervention?
    Yes - Subsidies, import tarrifs, nationalisation of industry
    20.00%
    No - The free market rules
    70.00%
    Don't know/want to see result.
    10.00%

ReputationRep:
    It depends if it is Civil servants and NHS staff then protect the jobs if it means inflation would go up faster then wages then let the jobs go and pull the plug

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Generally I think we should allow market forces to play out, but this also has to include the banks too. I don't think that some industries should be at the mercy of capitalism whilst others can be immune from it, at a cost to the taxpayer.

You really think we should have let the banking system crash. It would have crippled our economy to the same extent as Greece is seeing now. I do agree that letting the greedy bankers who created the mess off the hook is unfair, but bailing out the banks was the only realistic solution. However selling the banks back to the private sector whilst stock price is still increasing was a crazy move by Osborne.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Wolf)
    You really think we should have let the banking system crash. It would have crippled our economy to the same extent as Greece is seeing now. I do agree that letting the greedy bankers who created the mess off the hook is unfair, but bailing out the banks was the only realistic solution. However selling the banks back to the private sector whilst stock price is still increasing was a crazy move by Osborne.
    Personally i'd have bought the shares at 1p per share, gave depositors 12 months to move their cash or threatened to appropriate anything left for the treasury after that time and then i'd have asset stripped and wound down what remained of RBS. Remember that Barclays got a de facto US bailout so never needed the UK government's help and Lloyd's only needed a bailout because it agreed to buy RBS. HSBC was largely unscathed because of it's Asian exposure who were getting high off cash running to them.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    I think part of it is that there are vested interests in this country that have money in Chinese businesses that are better investments. So Finance trumps jobs for ordinary people. That's why this happens. Any other reasoning is secondary.

We have just bought a load of steel from China for the reason it is supposed to be cheaper. But that ignores the effect fo that steel works factory being closed down. We are goign to have a higher welfare bill in that area now plus all the knock on effects to the local economy which will impact tax revunue.

Basically the interests of a wealthy few are put before the interests of the economy and normal workers in Britain. The only time when the interests of the economy as a whole or British workers get but at front and centre is when it coincidentally helps the wealthy few.

Also why are Tories aloud to get away with being so cosy with communists.
    You think subsidising an unprofitable industry would be cheaper than letting it collapse and paying the resulting welfare? Unless their entire worlfirce is on minimum wage and pays no overheads thats not going to workout. Not all those workers will end up unemployed either. Some will have transferable skills and be reabsorbed into the economy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.