Turn on thread page Beta

What you want? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Power and prosperity for the UK. To deliver people's aspirations.
    😂😂😂😂😂😂
    Oh Rakas, you talk in such meaningless comic book terms.

ReputationRep:
    https://www.facebook.com/The-Loyalis...?tab=page_info

ReputationRep:
    Did you write that fb page? It's absolutely abysmal. It has no place in today's world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JD1lla)
    Did you write that fb page? It's absolutely abysmal. It has no place in today's world.
    Yes I did.

I'm probably forgetting a few but, briefly, the following would be a good start:

1. Produce a written, secular constitution which, for the time being, retains the monarch as head of state. Rescind Anglicanism's status as state religion.

2. Replace the House of Lords with an elected upper house. Introduce a single transferable vote (STV) system for elections to both the House of Commons and the new upper house. Constitutional amendments can only be made with the approval of two-thirds majorities in both houses.

(2a. Investigate the viability of a unicameral parliament because there's a good chance that this bicameral system might descend into the sort of gridlock seen in the U.S. Congress.)

3. Negotiate with the monarch at the start of the fiscal year how many public engagements she and her family tend to undertake in that year and compensate them appropriately. This should mitigate the enormous waste of public money subsidising the lavish lifestyles of the monarchy. Beyond a base level of income for their everyday needs, they should work if they want more money, just like the rest of us.

4. Scale back the NHS dramatically and turn it into a healthcare service for those who cannot afford healthcare, as assessed on a case-by-case basis. Everyone else must be required to purchase health insurance. This has the benefit of individualising the per capita costs of healthcare somewhat -- aside from the small(er) contribution to the reduced NHS, people only pay for their own healthcare costs, which may be lower than the amount that they currently pay. It makes no sense to make people who never get ill pay a lot of money into a healthcare service that they don't use. All this must be accompanied by appropriate anti-discrimination legislation so that people aren't left without insurance.

5. Abolish child benefit. While the recent move to limit this to the first two children is a step in the right direction, it doesn't go far enough. People shouldn't be paid to have children in a country that isn't experiencing declining fertility rates. If people have children that they cannot afford, then they will be moved to foster homes with families that can afford to keep them.

6. Get rid of tax breaks for married couples. It's not the state's job to tell people that getting married is a good idea by providing financial incentives to do so.

7. Produce a list of companies that do not pay their workers a livable wage and subject these to additional taxes to compensate the state for the welfare payments that it has to make to their workers. It's not the state's job to subsidise cheap labour for these companies.

8. Corporation tax to be charged on worldwide income, not what corporations claim their UK income is.

9. Invest in building social housing to replace houses lost through Right to Buy (and get rid of that, while we're on the subject). These houses should benefit from the current designs (such as this one), which focus on reducing the carbon footprints and increasing energy efficiency and independence.

10. Encourage a gradual move away from cars for short journeys. I'm not too sure about how this could be done, but I suppose the construction of dedicated cycle routes might be an idea, in addition to adopting the sort of bike hire scheme that they operate in London (which removes the cost barrier of actually purchasing and maintaining a bike).

11. Maintain tax levels until the Treasury is in surplus and then start reducing taxes, starting from the lowest earners and working upwards as the numbers allow.

12. Once a stable surplus has been achieved, experiment with a degree of choice in taxation. This would be more or less impossible to fit with PAYE because it would allow people to allocate a small proportion of their taxes, say 10 percent, to areas that they particularly feel should receive a greater share of public spending. If successful, cautiously increase the proportion that they can allocate.

13. Introduce limits on what parties can spend on election campaigns. It should not be the case that people can win simply by having more money.

14. Maintain the current regime on student loans with one exception: abolish the 3 percent rate of interest on top of inflation. There's no point charging interest on top of inflation on these loans. Increasing the amount owed is hardly going to translate to more revenue with the 30-year limit on repayments in place.

15. Leave the EU and replace that relationship with a simple free trade deal. The pros and cons of this have been debated to death on other threads so I'll refrain from writing an essay about that over here. :3

16. Abolish state-funded faith schools and eliminate the exemptions for any schools that are currently able to decide their own curriculum if it is felt that the core subjects (science, maths and English) are not being taught to an acceptable standard. With regard to science, ensure that a national curriculum is taught everywhere, regardless of the religious persuasions of the school's authorities.

Edit: I'll add more if I can remember any.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    I'm probably forgetting a few but, briefly, the following would be a good start:

1. Produce a written, secular constitution which, for the time being, retains the monarch as head of state. Rescind Anglicanism's status as state religion.

2. Replace the House of Lords with an elected upper house. Introduce a single transferable vote (STV) system for elections to both the House of Commons and the new upper house. Constitutional amendments can only be made with the approval of two-thirds majorities in both houses.

(2a. Investigate the viability of a unicameral parliament because there's a good chance that this bicameral system might descent into the sort of gridlock seen in the U.S. Congress.)

3. Negotiate with the monarch at the start of the fiscal year how many public engagements she and her family tend to undertake in that year and compensate them appropriately. This should mitigate the enormous waste of public money subsidising the lavish lifestyles of the monarchy. Beyond a base level of income for their everyday needs, they should work if they want more money, just like the rest of us.

4. Scale back the NHS dramatically and turn it into a healthcare service for those who cannot afford healthcare, as assessed on a case-by-case basis. Everyone else must be required to purchase health insurance. This has the benefit of individualising the per capita costs of healthcare somewhat -- aside from the small(er) contribution to the reduced NHS, people only pay for their own healthcare costs, which may be lower than the amount that they currently pay. It makes no sense to make people who never get ill pay a lot of money into a healthcare service that they don't use. All this must be accompanied by appropriate anti-discrimination legislation so that people aren't left without insurance.

5. Abolish child benefit. While the recent move to limit this to the first two children is a step in the right direction, it doesn't go far enough. People shouldn't be paid to have children in a country that isn't experiencing declining fertility rates. If people have children that they cannot afford, then they will be moved to foster homes with families that can afford to keep them.

6. Get rid of tax breaks for married couples. It's not the state's job to tell people that getting married is a good idea by providing financial incentives to do so.

7. Produce a list of companies that do not pay their workers a livable wage and subject these to additional taxes to compensate the state for the welfare payments that it has to make to their workers. It's not the state's job to subsidise cheap labour for these companies.

8. Corporation tax to be charged on worldwide income, not what corporations claim their UK income is.

9. Invest in building social housing to replace houses lost through Right to Buy (and get rid of that, while we're on the subject). These houses should benefit from the current designs (such as this one), which focus on reducing the carbon footprints and increasing energy efficiency and independence.

10. Encourage a gradual move away from cars for short journeys. I'm not too sure about how this could be done, but I suppose the construction of dedicated cycle routes might be an idea, in addition to adopting the sort of bike hire scheme that they operate in London (which removes the cost barrier of actually purchasing and maintaining a bike).

11. Maintain tax levels until the Treasury is in surplus and then start reducing taxes, starting from the lowest earners and working upwards as the numbers allow.

12. Once a stable surplus has been achieved, experiment with a degree of choice in taxation. This would be more or less impossible to fit with PAYE because it would allow people to allocate a small proportion of their taxes, say 10 percent, to areas that they particularly feel should receive a greater share of public spending. If successful, cautiously increase the proportion that they can allocate.

13. Introduce limits on what parties can spend on election campaigns. It should not be the case that people can win simply by having more money.

14. Maintain the current regime on student loans with one exception: abolish the 3 percent rate of interest on top of inflation. There's no point charging interest on top of inflation on these loans. Increasing the amount owed is hardly going to translate to more revenue with the 30-year limit on repayments in place.

15. Leave the EU and replace that relationship with a simple free trade deal. The pros and cons of this have been debated to death on other threads so I'll refrain from writing an essay about that over here. :3

I can't agree with lots of that

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Power and prosperity for the UK. To deliver people's aspirations.
    I want to own a house please.

(Original post by paul514)
    I can't agree with lots of that

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Fair enough. I don't expect many people to agree with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    I want to own a house please.
    I will deliver unto you this aspiration via removing the burden of taxation from your residential property.

ReputationRep:

(2a. Investigate the viability of a unicameral parliament because there's a good chance that this bicameral system might descend into the sort of gridlock seen in the U.S. Congress.)

So you are a Thatcherite then? UKIP?

ReputationRep:
    I think it is clear to everybody Blarite reforms have failed and made the nation worse and still secure. So why not restore what was before the Blarite reforms since 1997? I would find this perfectly acceptable.

(Original post by william walker)
    So you are a Thatcherite then? UKIP?
    I voted UKIP in the general election this year but I certainly don't consider myself a huge fan (or supporter) of them. I voted for the UKIP candidate in order to have my vote counted as a Eurosceptic vote and only did so in the full knowledge that the UKIP candidate had almost no chance of winning in my constituency. Generally, I find most of their policies abhorrent -- they seem to borrow a lot from the loony Republican party across the pond. For instance: their denial of climate change, which is lamentably underreported. That alone should disqualify them from ever holding any kind of political power in this country.

Thatcherite sounds more like it. I'm certainly very much aligned with Thatcherite economic policies, although I hate social conservatism with a passion.

ReputationRep:
    I voted UKIP in the general election this year but I certainly don't consider myself a huge fan (or supporter) of them. I voted for the UKIP candidate in order to have my vote counted as a Eurosceptic vote and only did so in the full knowledge that the UKIP candidate had almost no chance of winning in my constituency. Generally, I find most of their policies abhorrent -- they seem to borrow a lot from the loony Republican party across the pond. For instance: their denial of climate change, which is lamentably underreported. That alone should disqualify them from ever holding any kind of political power in this country.

Thatcherite sounds more like it. I'm certainly very much aligned with Thatcherite economic policies, although I hate social conservatism with a passion.
    You can't actually mean climate change. You mean man made global warming because of fossil fuels? So you want us to use less fossil fuels? Use more renewable energy? As that is what is comes down to. Believing in something doesn't matter, what matters is what the UKIP policy is. I believe instead of investing billions into wasteful renewable energy we should have improving the energy transport net work and improving battery technology. So we can move what have create around and store it more efficiently and effectively. It is obvious that for the next generation the energy of choice will be natural gas. So we need to get into that. UKIP simply see's that we need energy and that renewable energy is rubbish and very expensive. So opposes this.

Thatcher wasn't a social Conservative, she was a Liberal. Did care at all about conserving anything.

ReputationRep:
    20th century americcan style government

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quanty)
    If I had a choice between Corbynomics and this, I'd rather have my penis eaten by a crocodile doing a death roll.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quanty)
    No.

(Original post by william walker)
    You can't actually mean climate change. You mean man made global warming because of fossil fuels? So you want us to use less fossil fuels? Use more renewable energy? As that is what is comes down to. Believing in something doesn't matter, what matters is what the UKIP policy is. I believe instead of investing billions into wasteful renewable energy we should have improving the energy transport net work and improving battery technology. So we can move what have create around and store it more efficiently and effectively. It is obvious that for the next generation the energy of choice will be natural gas. So we need to get into that. UKIP simply see's that we need energy and that renewable energy is rubbish and very expensive. So opposes this.
    Yes, I'd like us to use less fossil fuels and more renewable energy. I don't see how that's 'wasteful.' The only renewable energy to which that could apply is wind. I don't see how it's obvious that natural gas will be the energy source of choice for the next generation. UKIP is quite short-sighted about this because their bright idea seems to be: 'China and India aren't doing much, so we shouldn't do much either because it's bad for business.' It beggars belief that they think that being business-friendly at the risk of destroying the planet is a good policy.

Thatcher wasn't a social Conservative, she was a Liberal. Did care at all about conserving anything.
    I don't see how being opposed to the propagation of homosexuality as non-degenerate behaviour is anything other than conservative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeremy1988)
    Well, ideally? I wish there were a way to eradicate Islam and Islamic culture. And I don't just mean in Europe, I mean everywhere: Malaysia, India, Palestine, Libya, Iraq, Iran, Syria, etc. I'd like it if they all renounced Islam or converted to some other religion like Christianity. I would like to see the Palestinians give up the disputed territory and leave Israel alone. I don't want any of them to die or suffer, I want them to change their beliefs.

When I read on Human Rights Watch about how badly Islamic countries treat their own people, I wished we could go in and stop their horrible policies and backwards lifestyle. But now I'm getting the impression that we aren't even strong enough to keep them from coming to Western countries and imposing that backwards and unfair way of life on us. It's a shame that the modern left demands tolerance of foreigners and their cultural values even when those values are harmful to society and against everything else they stand for.

It's fairly depressing.
    This. Except they shouldn't convert to Christianity, the other evil, they should just become non-religious/atheists.

ReputationRep:
    -Free and strong NHS.
    - Nationalised railways, energy and banks, with mutual investment funds set up.
    - Privatised industries are grossly unfair and can lead to monopolies.
    - Strong regulation of the Banking, energy and transport sector.
    - Free social housing.
    - Large public sector, making up around 30% of GDP.
    - Low military spend~1% GDP.
    - UK to undergo a period of self-interest , remaining neutral in international conflicts.
    - Controlled immigration.
    - Income tax at 40p.
    - Abolish the bed-room tax.
    - reinstate inheritance tax.
    - Tackle corporate tax evasion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wave of Wisdom)
    Anyway, let's talk about what I want:
    I want the war against class to end. I want our politicians to stop cucking the country, defaming the nation, bringing it to its knees and financially collapsing it. I want Britain to stop going to war for foreign countries. I want Britain to have control of it's borders; absolute sovereignty and to leave NATO, UN and of course the EU. I would give legal powers to the Church of England over moral issues that are specifically religious by nature, e.g. marriage and divorce. Penalties can be crafted by the church elders and will be upheld by the justice and law. Voting rights will be removed from all of those who either don't have children or don't own a property over the value of 80k (today's prices). The House of Lords will be purely hereditary.
    The only thing I can ask is ''Why?''.

I think I disagree with everything you've said here. I do not believe in religious rule because I am neither religious or a theist. I do not think that we should encourage class as it places unnecessary barriers on all people. I'm in favour of intergovernmental cooporation as I think it helps tackle social, economic and environmental issues which impact everyone (war, poverty, crime, climate change, etc). I think people without children should be given the right to vote as they still live here and how the government is run will impact them.

I would end welfare benefits for those who don't earn them, except the seriously permanently disabled (so illegaltobepoor doesn't get mad at me; that's +1 vote to me already). This most especially is targeting single mothers who are able to collect child tax credits, which supports their degenerate ways of birthing a child with a man, then depriving that man of equal partnership with raising the child. That is bad for society and must end. The State should take control of transport such as roads, internal air travel, buses and trains. Scrap the NHS, which is forever underfunded and being run into the ground, and transfer the bulk of that money in to transport, subsidising heavily the fares. This has environmental benefits as well as keeping people together.
    I think that parents should get equal rights to spend time with their child (unless they are in no position to safely care for a child). I do not know how you'd decide if someone has 'earned' benefits. I think that benefits should be given to those who need it the most.

I do not think that we should abolish the NHS, I think that would create great suffering for most of society. I'd be in favour of the government subsidising the cost of public transport (mainly bus services).

No state-support will go towards any foreigner's translator. They don't want to speak English, then the luxury of a translator should cost THEM, not us. I was forced to learn English as a baby, because I wanted to be understood. They should do the same. Tony Blair would be publicly hanged for war crimes and treason. Free speech and other libertarian ideas will be in law, greatly limiting the power of the State over the individual. Freedom of speech and right of assembly and free association mean conversations cannot be shut down. Hate speech laws will thusly be removed.
    I do not think we should erode laws about hate speech. Hate speech creates hate, which creates violence, which naturally creates more violence, which ultimately comes to the social and economic expense of everyone. I do not believe in the freedom of association as, much like class, I think it is unfair on everyone.

I do not support the death penalty.

I'm also unsure as to whether I would scrap or keep the national curriculum, because it's infested currently with socialist left-wing rot which teaches people what to say rather than how to think. I think simply a new approach to education is required. Lessons like sociology, religious education and history will cease. If you want to take these classes, you must pay.
    I do not understand why you would reject religious education and history, I thought you were very supportive of heritage and religion?

Science must be uncorrupted somehow from it's Post-Normal home. What science classes have become in schools now are one part science, one part economics, three parts morality and activism. We need to strip it down to the core if we're going to make it a respectable and valuable subject to make new leaders of innovation. The purpose of science is to innovate on tools we need. The Green industry is constantly enforced in science classes, with each three sub-topic in science going in depth on how bad carbon emissions are and global warming. The main problem is that children are taught to regurgitate facts that aren't solidly proven, and are given far too little tools to researching on their own.
    Until you clarify I cannot comment on any of this, though I do not think we should stop promoting the green industry. Carbon emissions are bad and global warming is real. You'd expect these topics to be covered in each of the three main sciences as they relate to each of the three sciences.

Oh, one moooooore thing: nothing can come between the family. A child does not have the same rights as an adult, until they reach the age of eighteen. If a child is abused, the parents and family can come under shame, ostracisation from society and public scrutiny. They can't have their child taken away from them by the State.
    I completely disagree. If the parents of a child are not capable of caring for it adequately and safely then the child must be taken away as soon as possible, for it's own safety and survival. If you had any care for children at all then you'd agree. Unfortunately you care more about petty things such as legacy.

If you were younger and if I were to see you getting beaten up by one of your parents in a park someplace, would you want me to watch and do nothing or would you like me to help you? If your parents were poor, had nothing to eat and you were starving, would you like me to sit and watch or would you like me to help you?

Would you prefer needless suffering?

Each family must have it in their minds, for the sake of social capital, that they are solely responsible for the success and welfare of their children, giving them the incentive to treat them well and invest in their futures instead of this hedonism and self-indulgence we see now, whilst the children are left neglected at home.
    I do not think that hedonism or self-indulgence are always wrong, nor do I think that parents should always be expected to be solely responsible for the success of their children. If parents are struggling to help their child then the state should support them. If parents are unwilling or disinterested in their child then the state should support them.

I want to hear opinions SHallowvale
    If you'd like...

I think you are a psychopath. I think you should seek psychological help at the earliest opportunity as you clearly have very little capacity to care for the wellbeing of others. I hope you never have children and I hope you never take up any profession which involves children.

I think you hold a very warped view of reality and I think you are highly ignorant of most of the things you talk about. I think you are arrogant, self centered, selfish and naive and I think you should stop prancing around as if you were above everyone else.

Despite all of this I do not hate you. I do not want you to suffer nor do I want you to be unhappy. I do not think you are stupid. I can only feel disappointed that someone like you can still exist in the modern world. I expect that you have simply been misguided, probably by some series of fanatical videos on Youtube or by some blog on the internet.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.