Turn on thread page Beta

squats watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zuki)
    I always went atleast 90 degrees but usually lower. I don't know, I think it depends on the machine as they're not all built the same etc. I only actually feel the pain when squatting (or picking up weight from the floor) any other exercise is fine
    I'd see a doctor as this pain has been going on for a while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    Ugh doctors can be so useless when it comes to things like this. I suffer from chronic shinsplints (I don't even run!) and my doctor told me to stop squatting.

Yeah right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    Yeah, I've been putting it off just because I know doc is gonna say "No gym for x weeks/ months" , but I'll have to go eventually

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JD1lla)
    Ugh doctors can be so useless when it comes to things like this. I suffer from chronic shinsplints (I don't even run!) and my doctor told me to stop squatting.

Yeah right.
    Get a referral to a physio.

I think I have the same problem when I walk really fast. I wouldn't dare run.

I think it stems from my flat footedness and knock knees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh ooo)
    No, that is a myth.
    lol its not a myth. It compresses your spine. Your spine is made up of jelly-like discs in between the sections of bone. When you put heavy weight on them they get compressed and if you have bad form they can also pop out (slipped disc). If that happened then you'd get shorter for sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    lol its not a myth. It compresses your spine. Your spine is made up of jelly-like discs in between the sections of bone. When you put heavy weight on them they get compressed and if you have bad form they can also pop out (slipped disc). If that happened then you'd get shorter for sure.
    Don't be ridiculous you won't get shorter, sure if your form is bad just like in deadlifts then you'll snap up all your ****, but that doesn't affect your height, you get injured you don't get shorter.

There's a difference.

ReputationRep:
    It's strange, everybody that I know that lifts has a massively improved posture compared to the normal population, and therefore appear taller.

But yeah your natural height varies throughout the day. I squat heavy twice a week (and used to three times a week) and didn't get shorter. I got a great ass/legs though.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Spinal compression during squatting increases bone hardness and density. Discs increase in fluid. These are reactive changes for good.

There is no one who has even gotten shorter from squatting without catastrophic injury being the cause.

You don't understand slipped discs please don't write that nonsense again

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zuki)
    No idea I've been squatting ever since I started weight training. Then one day about two months ago, I hit the gym after work and started squatting. Felt sharp pain in my left knee and couldn't continue, so I just left it and figured it was just one of those things and It'll be okay the following week. Nope. The next week it was both knees, now every time I try to squat, even without any weight and just the bar my knees just start aching
    Omg , same , i have the aching pain , its not too bad with lower weights but at my pb its too bad. I think it's cause the knees cave inwards , but thats cause i have some ****ed up bone structure. Go check your knees out mayn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Spinal compression during squatting increases bone hardness and density. Discs increase in fluid. These are reactive changes for good.

There is no one who has even gotten shorter from squatting without catastrophic injury being the cause.

You don't understand slipped discs please don't write that nonsense again

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just giving an example. Anyway my grandfather already had this problem. They put him in a brace in hospital to stretch the spine and he legit grew inches. His spine was compressed due to lifting heavy stuff all his life.

Don't talk about things you have no experience of.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Just giving an example. Anyway my grandfather already had this problem. They put him in a brace in hospital to stretch the spine and he legit grew inches. His spine was compressed due to lifting heavy stuff all his life.

Anecdotal evidence is not science.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Are you able to perform the third world squat? Google image search if you don't know what I mean. If you can't, I would suggest learning to do that first.

ReputationRep:

You have no idea what you're talking about; give up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom Jickleson)
    Are you able to perform the third world squat? Google image search if you don't know what I mean. If you can't, I would suggest learning to do that first.
    or the baby squat

http://nicktumminello.com/wp-content...baby-squat.jpg

^ Although it's fine for your knees to extend over your toes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carlos10000)
    If you think it will make u a faster sprinter, u might be disappointed. I increased my one rep max by 100 pounds, it only made me 0.1 seconds faster.
    dont squat EVER
    i was 6'1 last year but now im 5'11 from squatting
    my spine has been compressed irreversably
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    no

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straighthate)
    dont squat EVER
    i was 6'1 last year but now im 5'11 from squatting
    my spine has been compressed irreversably
    Ya know...ejecting out of a fast jet with a force of about 11g could maybe shrink you 2 inches.

what the hell were you squatting? a rapidly accelerating elephant?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 27, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.