Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I was interested in doing computer science but am confused between the differences with the following courses:
    Computer science, Computing and software engineering? It's also worth noting I didn't do A level maths, and would be applying to mid table Uni's
    Any help very appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    whats the difference between comp sci. and comp engg. ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexp98)
    Hi all, I was interested in doing computer science but am confused between the differences with the following courses:
    Computer science, Computing and software engineering? It's also worth noting I didn't do A level maths, and would be applying to mid table Uni's
    Any help very appreciated.
    If you didn't do Maths then it'll be very hard to apply to one of the top unis since Maths is required for them, including Imperial.

I think Software Engineering is about creating software in the most efficient, controlled and systematic way, whilst learning about all the things in development of a software.

On the other hand, Computer Science teaches you almost everything to do with Computers, ranging from solving tricky coding problems to researching artificial intelligence. I may be wrong so correct me.

(Original post by avg4all)
    whats the difference between comp sci. and comp engg. ?
    I think Computer Science is about the Maths and Science behind computer systems, so looking at algorithms to produce efficient software and systems.

I believe Computer Engineering is designing and building computer systems. Sounds pretty vague but when I mean "build a computer", I'm talking about building nanobots and other futuristic stuff like that. But I doubt we have a course called Computer Engineering in the UK. What you're looking for is Electrical Engineering, perhaps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnknownDude)
    If you didn't do Maths then it'll be very hard to apply to one of the top unis since Maths is required for them, including Imperial.

I think Software Engineering is about creating software in the most efficient, controlled and systematic way, whilst learning about all the things in development of a software.

On the other hand, Computer Science teaches you almost everything to do with Computers, ranging from solving tricky coding problems to researching artificial intelligence. I may be wrong so correct me.

I think Computer Science is about the Maths and Science behind computer systems, so looking at algorithms to produce efficient software and systems.

I believe Computer Engineering is designing and building computer systems. Sounds pretty vague but when I mean "build a computer", I'm talking about building nanobots and other futuristic stuff like that. But I doubt we have a course called Computer Engineering in the UK. What you're looking for is Electrical Engineering, perhaps.
    Very informative and helpful, thanks. I'll have to research more about computer science than and ask some tutors at Uni what they think about me doing it without A level Maths. Thankfully I have around 3-4 good choices already

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexp98)
    Very informative and helpful, thanks. I'll have to research more about computer science than and ask some tutors at Uni what they think about me doing it without A level Maths. Thankfully I have around 3-4 good choices already
    Do you do Computing, Physics, Electronics or Statistics? If so, try King's College London.

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I applied for MEng Computing - I just got invited to interview! Very happy but also nervous!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by merrigold)
    Hello! I applied for MEng Computing - I just got invited to interview! Very happy but also nervous!
    When did you send the application?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lionbiscuit)
    When did you send the application?
    Just before the Oxbridge deadline, I think the 13th

ReputationRep:
    Congrats ! I got invitation to an interview today aswell! When is your interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Datta10)
    Congrats ! I got invitation to an interview today aswell! When is your interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well done to you too! On the 25th of November

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Datta10)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Congrats! Got an acknowledgement email but no interview... Mind pm-ing your grades/predicted grades, so I can see if I'm worth interviewing?

ReputationRep:
    Just before the Oxbridge deadline, I think the 13th
    I sent mine on the 15th, this better mean I receive a reply tomorrow. I'm so impatient, checking my email every minute. Did you get notified from both UCAS and email that you got an interview?

ReputationRep:
    Computer science
    AS grades: AAAB (maths chemistry computing physics)
    Predidcted: A*A*A (maths chemistry computing) and A in AS further maths (dropped physics)
    Got all the acknowledgment emails but no offers/interviews yet sent on 15th Oct. so hopefully i'll hear something soon!

ReputationRep:
    No interview yet, sent my application early October.. Getting worried :tumble:

ReputationRep:
    Do all the top unis interview for computer science?

I'm applying to bath, Durham, Nottingham, Exeter and Newcastle (I know Newcastle only does an informal one)

ReputationRep:
    Any international applicants here?

ReputationRep:
    Got an acknowledgement email from Imperial today
    #relieved

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SSD07)
    Do all the top unis interview for computer science?

I'm applying to bath, Durham, Nottingham, Exeter and Newcastle (I know Newcastle only does an informal one)
    I've applied to Durham and they don't interview - that's actually one of the reasons I applied.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lordyP)
    Computer science
    AS grades: AAAB (maths chemistry computing physics)
    Predidcted: A*A*A (maths chemistry computing) and A in AS further maths (dropped physics)
    Got all the acknowledgment emails but no offers/interviews yet sent on 15th Oct. so hopefully i'll hear something soon!
    where have you applied??

ReputationRep:
    Well done to you too! On the 25th of November
    I got it too! See you all there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.