Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

wtf just been assigned my first essay, i have about a week to do it watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straighthate)
    1500 words
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    Have you people never wrote an essay in your lives? 1500 takes about 30 minutes, it's nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luneth)
    Have you people never wrote an essay in your lives? 1500 takes about 30 minutes, it's nothing.
    Not when you're striving for perfection.

It takes me 30 minutes to proof read....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luneth)
    what subject did you do at uni?
    and no i havent, this is my first ever essay, im in my first year in uni

ReputationRep:
    1500 words
    how ****ed am i?
    Isn't this why you're at university? You need to stretch yourself and it is a struggle. Get to it.

ReputationRep:
    I took English Language at college (doing Computer Science at uni now) and I had a 1500 word essay to hand in every two weeks. It can take an easy 30 minutes if you're making some sort of discussion and know what you're talking about; longer if you need to research and reference quotes to back up all of your statements. Regardless, you're overestimating how long 1500 words actually is.

ReputationRep:
    Im doing economics, first year. I searched for studies relating to my essay topic and there some, but how do i know if these studies are reliable? Do you need to comment on the study quality?
    I tended to leave that in my reserves. Try to only use studies from good sources anyway (google scholar is your friend, have a look at how many citations it has. If lots of people have referenced it then its likely to have been fairly influential, but provided it was published it will probably be acceptable to use to back up a point.)

I would sometimes use it as an evaluation though, if the sample size of a study was small it might not be representative of the population. For example in a game theory essay I said that a certain experiment showed that people did not respond rationally in repeated games but because it only used a hundred or so students who would also have to interact with each other again that strong conclusions could not be drawn from the study.

*Though I should also echo what was said earlier about using articles which conflict, everyone has a slightly different take on things and its the bringing together of different arguments into your points and evaluations, and applying appropriate weightings to ideas which will give you a more unique and interesting essay.

ReputationRep:
    1500 words for 7 days, it's more than enough. I know that it could seem hard, but when you finished your first essay the second will be easier to write

First of all, don't even think to buy essay on the web from some "best essay-writing company". It's bad cheating, and you're in the uni to learn new stuff and to become qualified to work and build your future.

Second, keep your writing to the requirements of your teacher/professor. Of course, creative writing is great, but when your teacher didn't accept essays writing in some special manner, it's better not to write like that.

Finally, don't use other ideas, try to create some original piece of writing. Many universities have plagiarism checking software to reveal students who cheat. Besides, you can use some online tools to check your writing for similarities with other stuff on the web. Like this http://www.plagtracker.com/ or that https://unplag.com. First is free, but works not so good as a second.

ReputationRep:
    eaaasy

ReputationRep:
    Im doing economics, first year. I searched for studies relating to my essay topic and there some, but how do i know if these studies are reliable? Do you need to comment on the study quality?
    Search for your topic on Google Scholar. Spend a whole day of reading several articles etc on Google Scholar or books from the library and out of all your reading, aim to use at least 3 sources in your essay (unless you've been given a specific guideline).

Once you've done your reading, you start planning and decide which sources to use. This should take you half an hour maybe.

Make an essay plan: what's your argument? Do you agree with the statement given in the essay question (if there was one given)? How many paragraphs will you have? What point will you make in each paragraph.

Then, write your essay. If you have 1 week. What you could do is this: 1 day do all reading, next day plan + 500 words, next day 500 words and next day 500 words. Afterwards, relax and read over it in the next day or two to edit it.

Don't worry about making it perfect from the beginning. It's tough to start writing, so what I do is, just write whatever and keep going. Once I've done my number words for the day, I edit. Once I've done my essay (i.e. 1500 words) I spend the next few days editing and polishing it.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Shouldn't take more than a couple of hours. I came home once at 3am with 3 1500 essays due at 8.30 and still did them. They were very bad though to be fair lol.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else find Google Scholar to be pretty useless for finding the right journals? Swear I type in a keyword and sit there like

Just seen a service called studymonster.co claiming to let you see which journals students before you used for the same essay, seems cool.

Hope you got your essay done?! I have a 2500'er over here to crack through *reaches for red bull*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fraser357)
    Does anyone else find Google Scholar to be pretty useless for finding the right journals? Swear I type in a keyword and sit there like
    No single keyword will get you usable results in any type of search engine.

My technique was to pick three keywords from the title. E.g. if the title was "Discuss the significance of widgets to global trade", I'd search using "widgets global trade".

I'd improve your search technique before trying a third party website (not that I can find it) which appears to be harvesting essay titles and bibliographies. Just because other students have used sources for similar essay titles before, doesn't mean they're right. The idea of an essay is to get students doing their own research.

ReputationRep:
    actually pretty easy - don't contract your words, say do not instead of don't, don't dumb things down, use a sentence to explain a word or term. just make it as long as you possibly can

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.