Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why are landlords allowed to discriminate against students? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xOHarriet)
    I understand this, but my financial circumstances aren't those of a typical student. Nothing about me is typical to being a student other than that I go to uni a couple of days a week. I'm not loud, I don't get drunk every night, I don't trash places. I want to pay good money (which I can afford after spending 5 months working 55+ hours a week and having no time to spend money) to live somewhere nice.
    Okay, you have all that money saved up, right? It kind of sounds like you aren't currently working? I'm not sure.

Here's an idea for something you could potentially do...

Give all the money you've saved up to your parents, or someone you trust, and have them set up some kind of limited liability partnership or corporation, whatever they call that in the UK. Have them make up some plausible excuse for the company (maybe a website with a plausible start-up idea, depending on how nosy they are), pay the registration fees, etc. Then, here's the trick. Have them employ you and pay you your own money as a regular salary in order to make it look like you have full time employment.

In order to keep up the deception, you would need to dress nicely and leave the house early in the morning every weekday, and possibly also conceal your books inside a briefcase. It should go without saying that you should never invite your friends over, have parties, or do anything that would draw attention to yourself. Be as anti-social as possible and keep to yourself, don't get to know your neighbours or the people around you. At that point, the only way anyone would be likely to find out that you were a student is if you told them yourself, or they followed you.

Personally, I would rather just go somewhere that students were welcome, but that's just me. I'm sure if all the student housing is full, money is no object, and you really, really want to get into a place and hide the fact that you're a student, you can probably find a way. You just have to think outside the box and work really hard at deceiving people.

I know people who have done things like this for various reasons, and technically didn't run afoul of any laws, although I'm sure people wouldn't like what they did if they found out about it.

This is all assuming, of course, that your being a student isn't a matter of public record if you're paying for it yourself. And that it wouldn't show up on a background or credit check under those circumstances. All I know is that background and credit checks here only show things like prior addresses and criminal convictions, credit rating, etc. But not how you spend your money and where you go to school. If the fact that you're a student IS a matter of public record and shows up on something the landlord can check, then you're marked and there's nothing you can do (unless you somehow sign the lease before enrolling, maybe). But if they're counting on the fact that students won't have full-time incomes and/or will be honest about going to school, then you can deceive them by appearing to be something other than what they expect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xOHarriet)
    I understand this, but my financial circumstances aren't those of a typical student. Nothing about me is typical to being a student other than that I go to uni a couple of days a week. I'm not loud, I don't get drunk every night, I don't trash places. I want to pay good money (which I can afford after spending 5 months working 55+ hours a week and having no time to spend money) to live somewhere nice.
    how does the letting agent or landlord know that though..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeremy1988)
    Well, my impression was that the OP was paying for school via money earned from a part-time job. Presumably the credit check wouldn't reveal how they were spending their money? I mean, checking to see if you have an income (and where it comes from) is one thing, but I would assume they couldn't ask for an accounting of what you do with every penny or an account balance.

When I say withholding information, I don't mean leaving something blank or refusing to answer. I mean giving them the answer they want to hear.

What I mean is, if they ask if you're a student, and you say that you're not, and mention your job... will they necessarily find out that you're lying in that case?
    They could ask how much their income is. Not exactly hard to figure out it's part time based on the amount. Plus the landlord already knows they are students.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.