• Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by JeremyOU)
    yes you are, its called a TV license.
    I know, and you don't HAVE to pay the licence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newpersonage)
    Firstly, the referendum is not a party political election, it is a poll of public opinion. Party proclivities should be unrelated to BBC coverage ratios.
    This is indeed true. But the political parties do have an interest in it as do their supporters. After all, they will have to pick up any pieces as a result of the decision one way or another.

You may have a point about the BBC sneer, but I imagine that is mainly subjective. Reporting the news facts is one thing. Having commentators offer an opinion is another.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I know, and you don't HAVE to pay the licence
    pretty sure do, (unless you don't have a TV) and don't go on about the not watching live TV stuff, just having a TV will get you the £1000 fine. (I know)
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    pretty sure do, (unless you don't have a TV) and don't go on about the not watching live TV stuff, just having a TV will get you the £1000 fine. (I know)
    live doesn't meen live TV it meens being broadcast live. if its on IPlayer then it isnt live

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    live doesn't meen live TV it meens being broadcast live. if its on IPlayer then it isnt live
    not anymore, watching it as its shown on Iplayer also counts (yes you can watch live on iplayer)

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ103

and if you have a TV and capacity for Iplayer you will get fined £1000 for not having a licence.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    I'm torn. I don't like the EU but I hate UKIP far more and absolutely do not want want to be on the same side as ukip and the right of the Tory party.
    I think quite a lot of people are in this position. I'm also not a massive fan of the EU but for completely opposite reasons to UKIP and I think the status-quo would be better than leaving the EU for UKIP reasons.

ReputationRep:
    not anymore, watching it as its shown on Iplayer also counts (yes you can watch live on iplayer)

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ103

and if you have a TV and capacity for Iplayer you will get fined £1000 for not having a licence.
    From the very same FAQ: "You do not need a TV Licence if you only use your TV to watch videos and DVDs or as a monitor for your games console.You can tell us that you do not need a TV Licence by using our online declaration form. One of our Enforcement Officers may visit you to confirm that you do not need a licence."

If you aren't using your TV to watch shows as they're broadcast you don't need a licence. And if the "capacity for iPlayer" were enough to require a license then basically everyone with a computer or smartphone would need one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ManifoldManifest)
    And if the "capacity for iPlayer" were enough to require a licence then basically everyone with a computer or smartphone would need one.
    Bad news. Any live broadcast watched on any device in the UK means you need a TV licence. Link.

(Original post by Rude-TV-Licensing-scumbags)

Am I watching or recording live TV on any device?
    Live TV means any programme you watch or record at the same time as it's being shown on TV or an online TV service.

An online TV service is a service that mainly aims to provide TV programmes over the internet, e.g. on a website or through an app or Smart TV.

If you only ever watch on demand programmes, you don’t need a TV Licence. On demand includes catch-up TV, streaming or downloading programmes after they’ve been shown on live TV, or programmes available online before being shown on live TV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    Bad news. Any live broadcast watched on any device in the UK means you need a TV licence. Link.
    Not sure why you're quoting me here, I never said otherwise. Owning a TV does not in itself require a licence, nor does watching iPlayer or any other on demand service, unless you're using it to watch (or record) shows as they're broadcast.

ReputationRep:
    I'm torn. I don't like the EU but I hate UKIP far more and absolutely do not want want to be on the same side as ukip and the right of the Tory party.
    The referendum is about the EU, swallow your pride.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billydisco)
    The referendum is about the EU, swallow your pride.
    Only if you admit the BBC is British

ReputationRep:
    Only if you admit the BBC is British
    You say you are anti-EU but want me to call an organisation who are pro-EU, removing sovereignty away from us as British?

ReputationRep:
    You say you are anti-EU but want me to call an organisation who are pro-EU, removing sovereignty away from us as British?
    Aye. Unlike you, I don't think anyone or anything in Britain who disagrees with me is 'not-British'. Because 'British' is a factual term, not an objective one. British is a nationality. It merely means you are from Britain, or have British citizenship. You can't make up your own meaning for a word. Or else I could say 'british means anyone who wears a purple tie on a thursday'.

If anything the word you are looking for is 'nationalist', not British.

If the BBC aren't British what nationality are they?

ReputationRep:
    9/11 WAS INSIDE JOB

BANKS CONTROLLED BY ROTHSCHILD

THE GUBERMENT ARE CONTROLLING US WITH FLUORIDE IN THE WATER

ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

ReputationRep:
    Aye. Unlike you, I don't think anyone or anything in Britain who disagrees with me is 'not-British'. Because 'British' is a factual term, not an objective one. British is a nationality. It merely means you are from Britain, or have British citizenship. You can't make up your own meaning for a word. Or else I could say 'british means anyone who wears a purple tie on a thursday'.

If anything the word you are looking for is 'nationalist', not British.

If the BBC aren't British what nationality are they?
    I believe all citizens of a country should be nationalist. Therefore anything which isn't, is not a true member of that nation.

eg A British-born person going to Syria to fight for ISIS is no longer British.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    I think quite a lot of people are in this position. I'm also not a massive fan of the EU but for completely opposite reasons to UKIP and I think the status-quo would be better than leaving the EU for UKIP reasons.
    Oh come off it. This view anti-EU view is suddenly fashionable among a lot of people on the left now. Hardly anybody on the left saying this now were even remotely critical at all of the EU a year ago. That was for uneducated dumb dumbs like UKIP

But then they discovered their new hero - Jeremy Corbyn - and found out he is anti-EU so now they all are too, even though they loved it until recently.

It's actually quite funny because it's giving you lot an aneurism because you're struggling to reconcile with it.

ReputationRep:
    I believe all citizens of a country should be nationalist. Therefore anything which isn't, is not a true member of that nation.

eg A British-born person going to Syria to fight for ISIS is no longer British.
    That's stupid. Because whatever you believe does not constitute the actual meaning of a word. British and nationalist are not synonymous.
    So do tell me what nationality I am ? What nationality is corbyn ? What nationality are the BBC?
    We're Germans who didn't support hitler not German?
    You know you're wrong and keep changing the goalposts of your argument. It is utterly absurd to claim the BBC are not British.

The only way you can make your point is to completely change the meaning of the word British. If you can do that, then I can do the same.

A British born person who goes to Isis is still British.

ReputationRep:
    That's stupid. Because whatever you believe does not constitute the actual meaning of a word. British and nationalist are not synonymous.
    So do tell me what nationality I am ? What nationality is corbyn ? What nationality are the BBC?
    We're Germans who didn't support hitler not German?
    You know you're wrong and keep changing the goalposts of your argument. It is utterly absurd to claim the BBC are not British.

The only way you can make your point is to completely change the meaning of the word British. If you can do that, then I can do the same.

A British born person who goes to Isis is still British.
    I haven't moved the goalposts at all actually.

I don't know about you, but Corbyn isn't British. A British person would have nothing to do with Hamas, wouldn't hate the Monarchy, wouldn't empathise with the IRA, wouldn't put us in danger getting rid of trident, wouldn't dislike the Armed Forces, need I go on?

Most people in this country would prefer any person who is found fighting for ISIS to have their citizenship removed. Isn't this agreeing with my point? Somebody doing un-British things should not be classed as British?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.