Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kosmooos)
    Probably. However, the amount of food I eat is enough for me. I eat till I get full. I don't want to get stomachache due to overeating just to satisfy the college nurse
    You don't have to overeat, that's why they want you to speak to a dietitian, they'd recommend adding <whatever> to a meal to increase your daily intake gradually.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it isn't any of their business (to some extent) BUT they are just looking out for you and are concerned for you. They are just trying to help..

ReputationRep:
    I have been told by my sixth form college that I have to see a nurse. I have seen a nurse today and the nurse told me that college has concerns about me with the main concern about my weight. She measured my height and weight, then calculated my BMI. She said to me that I am extremely underweight and the college is concerned about my weight. She said that she would have to refer me to GP, which will refer me to dietologist and consequently put on weight. I don't want to put on weight, my parents are not concerned about my weight, my parents are not telling me to sick medical advice because of my weight! Why would my college tell me that I need to be referred to dietologist? Is it their business? When I applied to this college, I wasn't told that they tend to discriminate students because of their weight. I have told the nurse that I don't want to go to GP, my family doesn't see any problem. She said that she would pass this message to college staff. I don't know what is going to happen next..
    As long as you are eating healthily (i.e. enough calories to sustain your lifestyle and enough of the right foods) and exercising then I don't see why it's a problem. But you have to understand why they're concerned; your BMI is underweight and what with eating disorders being so prevalent these days, that will ring alarm bells

ReputationRep:
    The real question is though, why don't they follow the same procedures for over weight people? No consistency there. So I probably agree with you really

ReputationRep:
    I mean I don't have an eating disorder. I might look anorexic, but it is just a family trend. My sister has BMI 13 and she is perfectly fine. We are eating enough. We are not starving.
    However, I really like to be underweight, I love my body the way it is right now and I don't want to become normal or fat

ReputationRep:
    They do follow the same procedure! Can you imagine? I have asked the nurse, would she tell the same bull**** to obese students? And she said, yes, I would tell them that they are too big and it's bad for their heart etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seizetoday)
    The real question is though, why don't they follow the same procedures for over weight people? No consistency there. So I probably agree with you really
    They do follow the same procedure! Can you imagine? I have asked the nurse, would she tell the same bull**** to obese students? And she said, yes, I would tell them that they are too big and it's bad for their heart etc

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I want to pursue a model career. By making me put on weight they will ruin my future career. I am not pursuing a model career, it's just an example

No, you're a future astronaut. Weight matters in space.... :P

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the argument "I've always been this way, my family is the same" is particularly useful, the same can be true for overweight people. It doesn't mean that they are a healthy weight.

No one can force you to change, but if there is genuine concern for your weight you probably don't look healthy. Obviously you are apprehensive about this, so maybe instead of jumping in at the deep end with GP's and dietitians try monitoring everything you eat and drink into a calorie counter app, if you are on a relatively normal diet there could be health complications effecting your weight.

ReputationRep:
    If you are under 18 they could consider it a safeguarding concern. Even if not, it's actually nice that they care about your health, it's someone wanting to make sure you are ok

ReputationRep:
    I mean I don't have an eating disorder. I might look anorexic, but it is just a family trend. My sister has BMI 13 and she is perfectly fine. We are eating enough. We are not starving.
    However, I really like to be underweight, I love my body the way it is right now and I don't want to become normal or fat
    A BMI of 13 isn't perfectly fine no matter which way you want to put it, women die at that BMI. You seem to be in denial though, good luck to you.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I could probably 1 arm press you. therefore, you need to eat some food.

ReputationRep:
    ffs eat food. If u start passing out and **** don't be like you should have helped me bcuz its ur attitude thats gonna get u killed potentially

ReputationRep:
    You probably just have extremely high metabolism.

ReputationRep:
    Height: 169 cm
    Weight: 41 kg
    Your BMI is 14.3 which is very low. The school are only concerned for your welfare. I think you should see a GP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaadKaleem)
    You probably just have extremely high metabolism.
    Do you really believe that high metabolism exists?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 010197)
    Anorexic isn't a weight or body type. She might just be naturally underweight.
    ...are you serious!? There's nothing "natural" about 5'6 and 6 stone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 010197)
    Don't worry about it. I grew up underweight myself and I got called anorexic all the time. You might just suddenly gain weight and 'fill out' like I have recently. My sister is going through the same thing and it's because she's anemic even though she eats much more/much better than I do. Ignore anyone accusing you of having a mental illness
    The only person who actually supports me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seizetoday)
    Exactly. And people will openly make insulting comments if you're underweight but not if you're overweight. It's a double standard. And body positivity is only for people who are not skinny. If you're skinny you're basically told to hate yourself.

ReputationRep:
    The only person who actually supports me!
    I don't mean to be rude as such, but don't be bloody stupid. Plenty of people are trying to support you, on this thread and at your school. They can't sit there and ignore the fact that your weight isn't healthy. Take the help. It's worrying that you're so adamant to not get help with this if you don't have an ED. I'm underweight myself and I've taken all the help I can to get to a healthy weight. You should, too.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 20, 2015
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.