Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RonnieRJ)
    Trust me I found C1 and C2 quite easy compared to whatever else I did in my A levels. Those two were my highest UMS (excluding practicals in sciences). And I didnt revise from past papers at all as I generally don't.
    I just don't see how someone who's not even doing GCSE maths yet wants to do AS maths. It'd be OK to just take on maths AS in year 11 if they're that good but otherwise I don't see the point, there are three whole units worth of work there
    I agree with you. And yeah I felt the same way about C1/2

ReputationRep:
    To be honest you are better off not taking it now because you may only succeed by hitting a C or maybe a B if you are lucky and you would be better of doing it in A level to be certain that you hit that A*. Seeing as you are already incredibly intelligent you will get the best possible result when the time comes. In my opinion doing it now you will overstretch your brain and affect all your subjects causing average performance when you can get outstanding results now, by investing your time into your current GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    There are alternatives to taking the AS Level straight away. At my school, in Year 11, after we finished our Maths GCSEs (we did the linked pair) in Year 10, we did the Additional Maths FSMQ (OCR) and the Further Maths GCSE (AQA). The benefit of doing such courses over the AS Level straight away is that there is considerable overlap with the AS Level content but you don't have to do the AS Level right away. It's good preparation, and you get extra qualifications which do not generally jeopardise your application to universities later on. It's also a good learning experience; in Year 11 I got complacent and didn't do as well as I could have in these two qualifications, so this, coupled with the overlap of the courses, drove me to get higher grades in the actual Maths AS Level.

Of course, I speak only from personal experience.

ReputationRep:
    Here's another suggestion if you're really intent on being productive. Take the Further Pure Mathematics GCSE. A friend of mine did that and he really enjoyed learning about it all. You'll end up with an extra GCSE, and of course the syllabus is tough but designed for people around your year, so you'd be benefiting both ways.

It's very interesting, I've looked through the textbook a few times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by duckd0nald)
    There are alternatives to taking the AS Level straight away. At my school, in Year 11, after we finished our Maths GCSEs (we did the linked pair) in Year 10, we did the Additional Maths FSMQ (OCR) and the Further Maths GCSE (AQA). The benefit of doing such courses over the AS Level straight away is that there is considerable overlap with the AS Level content but you don't have to do the AS Level right away. It's good preparation, and you get extra qualifications which do not generally jeopardise your application to universities later on. It's also a good learning experience; in Year 11 I got complacent and didn't do as well as I could have in these two qualifications, so this, coupled with the overlap of the courses, drove me to get higher grades in the actual Maths AS Level.

Beat me by a minute >_<

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by duckd0nald)

Yes, I am also taking Further Maths but I really thought about doing AS because I had done it for about 3 months (about 12 hours of work) and found it relatively easy. So I checked out a past paper on the AQA website and managed to get quite a few of the answers right (approx. 7). I didn't complete all these questions but I knew about two-thirds of what to do. I wasn't sure if this was normal so I looked about and saw it covered some A-Level topics which was great as I had been trying to do C1 and C2 modules without suffering any major difficulties. I thought I would ask this question as I thought that it would be wrong to rush into things to quickly but I want to stretch and challenge myself so I wanted to hear other people's advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maths465Man)
    Yes, I am also taking Further Maths but I really thought about doing AS because I had done it for about 3 months (about 12 hours of work) and found it relatively easy. So I checked out a past paper on the AQA website and managed to get quite a few of the answers right (approx. 7). I didn't complete all these questions but I knew about two-thirds of what to do. I wasn't sure if this was normal so I looked about and saw it covered some A-Level topics which was great as I had been trying to do C1 and C2 modules without suffering any major difficulties. I thought I would ask this question as I thought that it would be wrong to rush into things to quickly but I want to stretch and challenge myself so I wanted to hear other people's advice.
    Definitely try to do well on UKMT & Olympiads

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Definitely try to do well on UKMT & Olympiads
    Hoping this year to make the Olympiad for my year and to try and make the Summer School.

ReputationRep:
    Hoping this year to make the Olympiad for my year and to try and make the Summer School.
    Best of luck!!! I've made the Olympiad thrice but always fallen short of Summer School You can do it!! Just practice practice practice

ReputationRep:
    practice practice practice
    Yes, indeed I concur. That's what I did with my prestigious Core 4 Integration. Thank You.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Messi555)
    Yes, indeed I concur. That's what I did with my prestigious Core 4 Integration. Thank You.
    Messi pls

You got arrested for tax fraud I think you need to go back to S1

ReputationRep:
    Best of luck!!! I've made the Olympiad thrice but always fallen short of Summer School You can do it!! Just practice practice practice
    What (school) years did you make the Olympiads?

ReputationRep:
    Messi pls

You got arrested for tax fraud I think you need to go back to S1
    No. I study mechanics, M1 to M5. THANK YOU.

ReputationRep:
    What (school) years did you make the Olympiads?
    IIRC 9, 10, 11

12 just entered BMO round 1, so I didn't technically "qualify" for that one

ReputationRep:
    No. I study mechanics, M1 to M5. THANK YOU.
    Now I see why you got arrested

ReputationRep:
    Now I see why you got arrested
    Yes, thank you. Thank for your concern regarding my wellbeing. Frankly, I will still be conducting Core 4 integration wherever I am.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, thank you. Thank for your concern regarding my wellbeing. Frankly, I will still be conducting Core 4 integration wherever I am.
    Ronaldo prob got higher than you in C1-3

ReputationRep:
    Ronaldo prob got higher than you in C1-3
    Well thank you, but that is an assumption. I'm sure Ronaldo could not emulate my successes. PLS.

ReputationRep:
    c1 is cannot be considered as AS maths

its expected that you can do C1 when you start your maths course. in fact you should start off averaging at least 60% on C1 before you even finish GCSEs. its designed to be a "warm up" test (hence its non calc)

dont do it early

ReputationRep:
    What i think you should do is, you need to do Further Math GCSE. This course will help you in A level and it will make A-level like a piece of cake.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.