The Student Room Group

Running In Winter??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Vicky628
How do you cope with the early nights and the bad weather? I wouldn't run in the dark and I'm losing motivation. Any tips?
Thanks!!

It's imposable.
i run in a t shirt and shorts at about 9pm at night by the main road
have had no problems, except i cant breath through my nose because of the cold air
by the time ive finished im sweating hard, you really dont need all these running jumpers etc
If you run when its cold your body heats up, so you hardly notice the cold after anyway
Reply 23
Original post by Ed Phelan
Do you wear a normal knitted hat? Or are there special running ones that I haven't found yet?!

Ed

I just wear a normal knitted one, but I never usually run further than 6 miles.

It works for me so that's all I can say lol
Original post by Vicky628
How do you cope with the early nights and the bad weather? I wouldn't run in the dark and I'm losing motivation. Any tips?
Thanks!!

I cycle through the year so I have a similar problem but I love the dark for exercise personally, although maybe go running in a park or the countryside if you can it's really peaceful at night.
Reply 25
Original post by Straighthate
i run in a t shirt and shorts at about 9pm at night by the main road
have had no problems, except i cant breath through my nose because of the cold air
by the time ive finished im sweating hard, you really dont need all these running jumpers etc

I agree to an extent, I don't mind the cold it's just the wind which really gets me. So maybe a windbreaker helps.

Or even the double combo of wind and rain lol
Reply 26
I'm new to running (started in March) so this thread is useful information for me as I was wondering the same. I have a Karrimor running kit, including a hat of the same brand, which include fluorescent and reflective blocks for night running. They all have the sweat wicking technology too.

My winter schedule plan so far, is to do a daytime run over the weekend (I have children so bicycles and safe space need to be planned ahead) and two after dark (between 5-7pm) runs along a 3.5 mile circuit of main roads near home. I'll see how I feel when the weather turns and driving rain is lashing my face.
Reply 27
Original post by CCC75
I'm new to running (started in March) so this thread is useful information for me as I was wondering the same. I have a Karrimor running kit, including a hat of the same brand, which include fluorescent and reflective blocks for night running. They all have the sweat wicking technology too.

My winter schedule plan so far, is to do a daytime run over the weekend (I have children so bicycles and safe space need to be planned ahead) and two after dark (between 5-7pm) runs along a 3.5 mile circuit of main roads near home. I'll see how I feel when the weather turns and driving rain is lashing my face.

I know what you mean, I feel like a running karrimor advert when I go out:h:

I'm running around 4, much later and it's too dark, in a long sleeved shirt and leggings, and I love running in the rain, just not the snow
Reply 28
Original post by CCC75

The only Karrimor kit I own is my shoes, which I bought for £30 from sports direct lol

The rest of my kit compromises of cheap shorts from TK Maxx, a base layer and a football jersey lol.

Oh plus gloves and hat.
It really depends on how hard you're running. For example if I go on a really hard run in the cold I'll sweat a lot and it won't really affect me. But if I'm just going for an easy run I'll probably wear a jacket or something. As for the dark maybe try running at 5-6ish or try running when you wake up

Posted from TSR Mobile
You keep the goals firmly in mind. Every morning I get up before work to run I know I'm that little bit closer to a national medal.
Original post by Ed Phelan
Yeh I find it quite tricky to stay motivated too. I have a long-sleeved top but it won't keep me warm once we reach the depths of winter. I am going to look into the light jackets, I've seen Nike and Adidas ones in runnign shops but I might try eBay or Sports Direct, unless anyone knows of any deals going? They're pretty expensive otherwise.

I am a bit dubious about wearing a hat whilst running, feels like it would get pretty sweaty and gross straight away? I wear gloves to keep my hands turning to ice.

Generally in winter I lose motivation and stop running, I cycle for tranpsort so end up relying on that :s-smilie:

Ed

Managed to find any decently priced jackets? I could really do with one, nothing worse than a downpour in the middle of a long run :/
Original post by Use Err Name
Managed to find any decently priced jackets? I could really do with one, nothing worse than a downpour in the middle of a long run :/

You can probably find one in sports direct

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
I only run outside during the winter/cold periods, so much easier. I find it very relaxing when it's dark and the street lights are on, too. Always wear shorts and a long-sleeve top and I warm up within minutes.

Obviously depends on your area in terms of safety but winter running is definitely my preferred choice.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by cocre
I only run outside during the winter/cold periods, so much easier. I find it very relaxing when it's dark and the street lights are on, too. Always wear shorts and a long-sleeve top and I warm up within minutes.

Obviously depends on your area in terms of safety but winter running is definitely my preferred choice.

I agree with the relaxing/street lights thing.

Mild nights running in the dark are immense.

However recently I've started to feel the cold more (I wear a base layer with a football jersey usually). Will have to invest in a running coat with my Xmas money I reckon!
Reply 35
Original post by cocre

I find this to be the same as well :smile:

But in some areas, I need to decrease my running speed; I don't want to bump into a tree :ninja:
Reply 36
Original post by zKlown
I agree with the relaxing/street lights thing.

Mild nights running in the dark are immense.

However recently I've started to feel the cold more (I wear a base layer with a football jersey usually). Will have to invest in a running coat with my Xmas money I reckon!

Yeah towards December time you will definitely need some sort of base layer, usually wear a pair on my legs just to keep the heat in. Suppose it depends on how intense your run is.

It's just nice running when people are coming home work (I run from 6pm onwards) and it's dark outside, weird sensation from it.

Quick Reply

Latest