Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maggie_O)
    So what are you saying? Are you agreeing that saying homosexuals being killed like flies, because the gov't says so, is...a bit untrue? Albeit they are still "punished" for being gay, and also that the death penalty is still practiced for other things?
    I mean the article listed 10 countries where it's illegal to be gay. Which was one of your questions.

I don't know how much it happens though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XcitingStuart)
    It's still dumb for people to 'disagree' with homosexuality, I'll correct.
    Not discussing that. Discussing whether executions... against gays... because the gov't said so... is true. Strictly, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    I mean the article listed 10 countries where it's illegal to be gay. Which was one of your questions.

I don't know how much it happens though.
    I'll quote myself here:

Discussing whether executions... against gays... because the gov't said so... is true. Strictly, thanks.
    I think I can sense your answer though.

The answer is no. With the source I have. Still waiting for other's input, I am willing to hear it.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'll talk about Gambia since that's what I know about.
    Homosexuality is strictly prohibited there and you can get up to several years of prison if you get caught basically. But Jammeh (dictator)'s stance has gone more extreme: he'll cut their heads of, they have 24h to evacuate the country etc...
    But at the same time, there's an underground gay community that everyone's kind of aware of, especially since sex tourism is very big there

ReputationRep:
    *punishable. And ok, where did you hear/read/see this to be so..?

Can you name me a specific case from an article you read? I am reading where I linked to ChickenMadness that the more common penalty is lashing, not death. The sentence is death but the act against them normally is not.
    I didn't say people are sentenced to death over there. And I'm not really sure why you are defending countries we all know are suspect. I cannot provide you with proof that homosexuals are being put to death, but i certainly would not put it past a country like Saudi Arabia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jedanselemyia)
    Well I'll talk about Gambia since that's what I know about.
    Homosexuality is strictly prohibited there and you can get up to several years of prison if you get caught basically. But Jammeh (dictator)'s stance has gone more extreme: he'll cut their heads of, they have 24h to evacuate the country etc...
    But at the same time, there's an underground gay community that everyone's kind of aware of, especially since sex tourism is very big there
    Thanks for responding

What do you mean underground gay and people aware of it? Like the party subcultural scene, or an underground rebellion?

Ok his stance. Not yet implemented. I will look up how the country is responding to this and if there's an act in place, unless you can provide that info; please do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElephantMemory)
    I didn't say people are sentenced to death over there. And I'm not really sure why you are defending countries we all know are suspect. I cannot provide you with proof that homosexuals are being put to death, but i certainly would not put it past a country like Saudi Arabia.
    Over where?
    I'm not defending. I clearly do not agree with it; I just want to know if there is literally laws against it in place because someone told me there are and left the conversation before I could get confirmation, and I really want to know now. But I'm willing for everyone to share what they have.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for responding

What do you mean underground gay and people aware of it? Like the party subcultural scene, or an underground rebellion?

Ok his stance. Not yet implemented. I will look up how the country is responding to this and if there's an act in place, unless you can provide that info; please do.
    You're welcome

Like people do know that gays exist, especially since some tourists go to the Gambia exclusively for that (like, have sex) so more like dating/party subculture.

According to Amnesty, sanctions have been hardened:
    http://www.amnesty.org.uk/gambia-ant...l#.VibAgXRwbqA

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome

Like people do know that gays exist, especially since some tourists go to the Gambia exclusively for that (like, have sex) so more like dating/party subculture.

According to Amnesty, sanctions have been hardened:
    http://www.amnesty.org.uk/gambia-ant...l#.VibAgXRwbqA
    Thanks a lot. I would like to know the catalyst; often times dictators of developing countries are being blackmailed by more powerful countries to implement their laws. It seems the catalyst or hysteria is because of HIV like I know people in Africa with HIV are seen as basically demons and lepers, instead of people who need to be treated. So they still have that thinking that homosexuality brings about HIV? Still reading to see if it says execution. My big question was that because I have never heard that before and was disrespected by someone who insisted it and failed to provide proof

ReputationRep:
    Over where?
    I'm not defending. I clearly do not agree with it; I just want to know if there is literally laws against it in place because someone told me there are and left the conversation before I could get confirmation, and I really want to know now. But I'm willing for everyone to share what they have.
    The BBC seems to believe so.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-25927595

Not the best source, but I have no reason not to believe them.

ReputationRep:
    Is this so?

I was recently informed in a debate that ended sourly that Mauritania for example executes gays for being, well, gay. The penalty is "capital punishment."

But sources say: "no such executions have taken place since 1990."

It's that there is no such thing as a hate crime, not that there are executions literally happening.

Do you agree with this? You can post as Anon.

Also does anyone know of any places where gays are literally executed for "being gay"? How is that even possible? Do gays wear a detection bracelet? How can they possibly know someone is gay. Or is it against caught in same sex act? How can someone be caught having sex though unless it's in the street, or being avidly monitored? Just someone who has extensive knowledge explain this to me, this is news to me.
    Iran? Just one example of a fair few.

ReputationRep:
    Ok can you please provide proof and please do not say google. I am reading sources that say executions are rare and done for sodomy, not specifically homosexuality. And other countries sentence capital punishment but haven't done this in years. If you have something, please provide it. It's a thread, you can contribute with your own facts you know...

I'm not disputing it is done against a witnessed or assessed homosexual act, I am asking for proof because I think some people may not know.
    Google

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSR Mustafa)
    Google

ReputationRep:
    Ok so basically what I've got is, everyone giving slick answers knows they can't back up that "gays are literally being executed by government mandate/law and for being gay." Not to say the death penalty isn't used at all, and not to say gays aren't mistreated in other ways.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot. I would like to know the catalyst; often times dictators of developing countries are being blackmailed by more powerful countries to implement their laws. It seems the catalyst or hysteria is because of HIV like I know people in Africa with HIV are seen as basically demons and lepers, instead of people who need to be treated. So they still have that thinking that homosexuality brings about HIV? Still reading to see if it says execution. My big question was that because I have never heard that before and was disrespected by someone who insisted it and failed to provide proof
    Like you i heard that it's mainly due to evangelism because homophobia in pre colonial Africa is pretty much unheard of? Jammeh says it's because the Gambia is a Muslim majority country.
    HIV isn't very widespread in the Gambia I think but Jammeh says he has invented a potion that cures HIV (not joking)
    In the code of law itself I don't think execution is the punishment but ya know dictators and the law :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Like you i heard that it's mainly due to evangelism because homophobia in pre colonial Africa is pretty much unheard of? Jammeh says it's because the Gambia is a Muslim majority country.
    HIV isn't very widespread in the Gambia I think but Jammeh says he has invented a potion that cures HIV (not joking)
    In the code of law itself I don't think execution is the punishment but ya know dictators and the law :rolleyes:
    Are you asking if it's unheard of. Tbh I don't really know. But this surge of homophobia seems to be a bit modern but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a tribe or dictator here or there that said crap, but I'm not sure if the hatred or hysteria has been implemented into law. Yeah that's my concern because the person I was talking to said it's a law. But couldn't provide me with facts. It's not a law yet but yea dictators I've read up on so many developing countries and how they eff their country and administration up when dictators accept bribes under the table that in the end trades personal cash for political evil. *facepalm*

ReputationRep:
    Killing gays is not the most sound economic decision I've ever heard tbh, sounds like a huge waste of money. Shows how far behind these countries are, got to make decisions with the economy in mind ffs.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by ElephantMemory)
    I believe homosexuality is publishable by death in Saudi Arabia. The same Saudi Arabia the British government is BFF with.
    the amount of oil blinds all of the western world

ReputationRep:
    Are you asking if it's unheard of. Tbh I don't really know. But this surge of homophobia seems to be a bit modern but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a t ribe or dictator here or there that said crap, but I'm not sure if the hatred or hysteria has been implemented into law. Yeah that's my concern because the person I was talking to said it's a law. But couldn't provide me with facts. It's not a law yet but yea dictators I've read up on so many developing countries and how they eff their country and administration up when dictators accept bribes under the table that in the end trades personal cash for political evil. *facepalm*
    Well i'm pretty sure actual laws have been implemented in Uganda as of late.
    Exactly... but "developed" countries are also helping with keeping their dictatorships in place for ressources etc

ReputationRep:
    Well i'm pretty sure actual laws have been implemented in Uganda as of late.
    Exactly... but "developed" countries are also helping with keeping their dictatorships in place for ressources etc
    I know! Resources, money, etc. It's horrible.
    Even western politicians have found themselves morally bound because they were sponsored by less than decent corporations and lobbyists.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.