Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    Yes, you could have. It would have amused me. What's your academic background, by the way?
    hehe. I am a CS graduate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    hehe. I am a CS graduate.
    :woo: Cool! :woohoo: Nice to meet a CS grad on here. What uni did you go to? What degree did you do? And what's your job role? Also, how long did it take you to get a job from the moment you start applying?

ReputationRep:
    And what's your job role? Also, how long did it take you to get a job from the moment you start applying?
    I'm a generation or two ahead of you, and have not performed a true CS-related role for many years, having passed on to management and, now, semi-retirement. I had a job lined up months before I graduated, but that isn't at all relevant to the situation facing modern new graduates. For instance, my son graduated from Oxford and took seven months to find his first job.

ReputationRep:
    If it does, the obvious answer is that too many people are studying CS at the moment for the number of employment opportunities available, and that they are unable or unwilling to take alternative employment.
    Really? Not that many people study CS compared to other subjects, and I know that IT is in demand right now, certainly more than Law and arts students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gherk)
    Really? Not that many people study CS compared to other subjects, and I know that IT is in demand right now, certainly more than Law and arts students.
    Well, one project I managed in the past involved me (in the UK) managing the development of a solution (for a UK-based company) that involved about twenty developers - all based in India. Does that start to explain part of the problem for recent UK CS graduates?

ReputationRep:
    I'm a generation or two ahead of you, and have not performed a true CS-related role for many years, having passed on to management and, now, semi-retirement. I had a job lined up months before I graduated, but that isn't at all relevant to the situation facing modern new graduates. For instance, my son graduated from Oxford and took seven months to find his first job.
    Did he do Computer Science?

ReputationRep:
    Did he do Computer Science?
    No. Engineering science.

ReputationRep:
    A false picture of the reality for most grads. Reality is that most of them are not in degree requiring jobs, they're in generic jobs. Only 40% and shrinking are getting into degree requiring jobs. AKA, its been a waste of time for many thousands of people, has no benefits for tax payers and only grows the student loan bubble. I may be a cynical person but I spit at the universities for what they have sewed.

ReputationRep:
    It's not the percentage of graduates in employment that we want to know, its percentage of graduates in graduate level employment that really matters.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by marco14196)
    A false picture of the reality for most grads. Reality is that most of them are not in degree requiring jobs, they're in generic jobs. Only 40% and shrinking are getting into degree requiring jobs. AKA, its been a waste of time for many thousands of people, has no benefits for tax payers and only grows the student loan bubble. I may be a cynical person but I spit at the universities for what they have sewed.
    You comment a lot about the 'reality' of grads, when you aren't one yourself. :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    You comment a lot about the 'reality' of grads, when you aren't one yourself. :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.