Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

Feminists don't hate men, but it doesn't matter if they did watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eigo-Jin)
    Surely it would be more helpful to stop the "male tears jokes" rather than defending it? Rape jokes are just as unacceptable as man-hating jokes. All sexist jokes are unacceptable just like all racist jokes are unacceptable.
    Jokes are all about context.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucymellor)
    That's what I'm saying.
    Yep, I was just reiterating it

ReputationRep:
    She's trying to link to unattractiveness to sexism. Men and women stop being "attractive" when they get hold hence why they aim to stay youthful.
    Generally older women are seen as worth less than older men, for example plenty of old male actors get roles in Hollywood, but once a women hits 40 very few people would hire her for a film unless the role specifically called for an older woman who was not meant to be seen as attractive (e.g. a grandma character)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_7350960.html

ReputationRep:
    Surely it would be more helpful to stop the "male tears jokes" rather than defending it? Rape jokes are just as unacceptable as man-hating jokes. All sexist jokes are unacceptable just like all racist jokes are unacceptable.
    On the contrary, I feel that all jokes should be acceptable - as long as they force people to think of reality and the real issues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
    Fair enough, I get what you are going at, but I think it is still rather ridiculous to say that you think being catcalled is wrong, then a year later say that you miss being catcalled and not valued sexually by men and blame The Patriarchy™ for conditioning you into seeing yourself as a sex object.
    It does seem a bit ridiculous when you put the headlines side by side, but when I was around 15 or so, all my 'hot' friends started getting catcalled by old men, whereas I (the eternally unattractive friend) didn't. And obviously I was like ew I'm glad I'm not being catcalled by 40+ men, that's a bit creepy, but a small voice in my head was like "you're not getting catcalled because you're not as pretty as the other girls, you're ugly" etc., so as a 15 year old, it kind of f**** you up. Do you get what I mean?? Hopefully if you can imagine being 15 year old me for a second you'll understand the basis behind her articles

ReputationRep:
    On the contrary, I feel that all jokes should be acceptable - as long as they force people to think of reality and the real issues.

Yeah, there's a time and a place for all jokes but I meant making sexist/racist jokes when you know it's socially unacceptable to do so or intending to hurt with said jokes. But jokes are jokes, people shouldn't get hurt in the first place. Jokes =/= discrimination.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingBradly)
    Jokes are all about context.
    context indeed. I was talking about when and where you make these jokes, for example in front of children.

ReputationRep:
    Generally older women are seen as worth less than older men, for example plenty of old male actors get roles in Hollywood, but once a women hits 40 very few people would hire her for a film unless the role specifically called for an older woman who was not meant to be seen as attractive (e.g. a grandma character)

I cannot answer this without doing some research. I'll come back to this one lol

ReputationRep:
    It does seem a bit ridiculous when you put the headlines side by side, but when I was around 15 or so, all my 'hot' friends started getting catcalled by old men, whereas I (the eternally unattractive friend) didn't. And obviously I was like ew I'm glad I'm not being catcalled by 40+ men, that's a bit creepy, but a small voice in my head was like "you're not getting catcalled because you're not as pretty as the other girls, you're ugly" etc., so as a 15 year old, it kind of f**** you up. Do you get what I mean?? Hopefully if you can imagine being 15 year old me for a second you'll understand the basis behind her articles
    Oh yes, I can understand... it's hard to feel good about yourself when you're a troglodyte of a teenager being compared with your model cousin who also happens to be an A-star student.

But what I can't stand is that someone of Jessica's age - 36 at the time of the article - who is unable to define herself by herself for who she is, and instead rants on about how she is the unfortunate product of an unfortunately shallow society.

ReputationRep:
    "Besides, when women hate men, we hurt their feelings. When men hate women, they kill us: mass shootings have been attributed to misogyny, and sexual and domestic violence against women is often fuelled by a hatred for women."

That escalated quickly...And women are just as able to kill men, or go on shooting sprees if they want, as well as domestic abuse against men. I think more men get abused than women (?) but not so many men want to go and report that.

Equality is equality is equality. Every one is capable of the same hatred. Some choose to be more..violent. I'm binge watching heroes now, and sure that's a TV show, but women can be freaking brutal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingBradly)
    Attachment 470649

She's an idiot. The irony is that if all women were like her, misogyny would be completely justified.

Seems that the collective IQ of feminists today is that of a peanut.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yes, I can understand... it's hard to feel good about yourself when you're a troglodyte of a teenager being compared with your model cousin who also happens to be an A-star student.

But what I can't stand is that someone of Jessica's age - 36 at the time of the article - who is unable to define herself by herself for who she is, and instead rants on about how she is the unfortunate product of an unfortunately shallow society.
    I think the point of her second article was that she knows that by this age she shouldn't care about being found attractive by strangers, and yet she can't help it because our society places so much worth on attractiveness - this is true for men and women. The difference is men don't have it so boldly shoved in their faces whether a stranger finds them attractive or not, whereas women are constantly told by catcalling etc.

ReputationRep:
    Seems that the collective IQ of feminists today is that of a peanut.
    All these antics seem to occur with a year after each other. Maybe she got possessed by the spirit of Andrea Dworkin in 2015?

ReputationRep:
    I only read about half of it as she seems to be a 'half feminist'. Yeah she claims "white men have it easy" but just because shes smart enough to dissect that doesn't mean that all feminists can, usually directing their mindless bilge at anything male, even animals. A wealthy white woman using feminism to castigate poor black/non-white men is seen as acceptable even though completely illogical as the white woman by virtue of benefiting from racism (slavery/land appropriation/genocide/theft) is the greatest of all oppressors and even if you dont particularly like that argument what about the generation of defencless boys whom have oppressed no-one, black, white or female??? femnazis still have the same unintelligent scatter-gun approach to anything that is not their gender and even members of their own gender who love and defend men & boys.

**** feminist globally round them up and shoot em dead.

ReputationRep:

But there is far more demand for hot young female actresses, relatively independent of acting ability too - then they whine when they lose their looks and get dropped. Earning big money 20 years earlier translates to a pretty sweet compound interest as compared to a man who may have a longer career but starts later and earns big money even later than that.

Looking up four high profile male actors from all different eras off the top of my head: Robert de Niro, Robin Williams, Daniel Craig and Michael Caine, not one of them made their breakthrough prior to age 30. Quite apart from the cash flow structure of a late starting career, by 30 you are far too old to be messing around chasing rainbows, unlike women aged 21 when you still have scope to give it up and get a sensible career. A little bad luck and they could still be sweeping the floor on set today.

ReputationRep:
    All these antics seem to occur with a year after each other. Maybe she got possessed by the spirit of Andrea Dworkin in 2015?
    It's probable. Very probable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skeptique)
    I only read about half of it as she seems to be a 'half feminist'. Yeah she claims "white men have it easy" but just because shes smart enough to dissect that doesn't mean that all feminists can, usually directing their mindless bilge at anything male, even animals. A wealthy white woman using feminism to castigate poor black/non-white men is seen as acceptable even though completely illogical as the white woman by virtue of benefiting from racism (slavery/land appropriation/genocide/theft) is the greatest of all oppressors and even if you dont particularly like that argument what about the generation of defencless boys whom have oppressed no-one, black, white or female??? femnazis still have the same unintelligent scatter-gun approach to anything that is not their gender and even members of their own gender who love and defend men & boys.

Of course using this kind of logic is wasted on them, sir.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skeptique)
    No no, you don't have to shoot those kinds of people. The very act of pointing a phallic gun at them is enough to cause their miniscule brains to explode from sheer anger.

ReputationRep:
    Views like this go too far for the simple purpose of being click bait on a website.

I am a feminist and I think strong views like hers that say it's OK to hate men actually damage feminism and attempt to warp it into something it was never meant to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Jack)
    Views like this go too far for the simple purpose of being click bait on a website.

I am a feminist and I think strong views like hers that say it's OK to hate men actually damage feminism and attempt to warp it into something it was never meant to be.
    Modern or intersectional feminists veer towards "reverse sexism". Real feminists, like Erin Pizzey are slowly fading out, replaced with irrational delusional women who need to blame people for their misfortunes in life.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.